Did Bucket make the right choice by leaving?

Young_Gun

Being in Guns with Axl 110% at the helm is tough for any respectable musician. You are literally at his beckon call and have absolutely no say when music you helped write and create gets released. Literally, no say whatsoever when all is said and done.

Bucket put up with it for as long as he could (nearly 4 years). Robin did the same. Ron has had some fairly public bitch fests to show his displeasure with the whole operation.

Do I blame him for leaving? No. He made an incredible mark on Chinese Democracy, and the album is so much better with his efforts included.

Edited by sofine11

Yes. He's an artist. He likes to release music.

We've gotten one album from the new incarnation of the band. When did they start? 97/98 or so? So figure 15 years and we've gotten one album despite thousands of studio hours and millions of dollars.

I love Axl's music. I love ChiDem more than most.

Honestly, I can't figure out why anyone makes the choice to STAY in the band. Nothing ever gets released and they are required to drop any projects they might be involved in at any time to get back to Guns.

absolutely. anybody who has left this band has made the right choice

Honestly I agree with this. Since the 90's - I would say since especially 1996 - GNR has been this pit of inactivity and wasted potential. I don't blame Bucket for wanting to get out of that and focus his energy on other things along with any other person who has quit the band because GNR became more of a burden than an artistic outlet
  • Like 1

Absolutely! I never liked his image combined with GnR, but that's not the main reason. Buckethead is incredibly creative and productive. IF anything even happens with GnR, it's usually at a glacial pace. Being in GnR was probably incredibly frustrating for him. So I can very well understand him for quitting. He's too creative to be in a glorified cover band for 10 years without being productive. Even if he'd want the exposure, he wouldn't want it for other people's work. Buckethead wants to create. And in GnR, that's impossible. I can only respect that. It's Axl's loss, not Bucket's. And mind you, that's coming from a guy who's never liked Buckethead.

At this point, and I mean this, I couldn't blame any member of Guns n' Roses for quitting for even a second.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Loved Bucket in Guns, but yes, he did. He wanted to release music. And more then one album every 20 years. New Guns is not the band to be in if you're as prolific as Bucket is.

It was never going to last anyway, so I'm just glad he did some work for Axl and put his mark on Chinese and beyond.

Yes, absolutely. For his professional career, that was perfect. It made him known, and he didn't need to be bigger than he is. He works better as always being a little niche and I'm sure he's fine with that. He must have enough money to make all those albums he does.

The only thing that would have been cool, was if he stayed through 2006 so he could have been with Axl when he sounded awesome. I don't blame him for leaving before then, because that was 4 years of nothing, but having Bucket's guitar with Axl's vocals in 2006 would have been a lot of fun for a fan. Honestly, having another person in the band at 2006 that everyone knew like Bucket actually could have really helped public interest. People left in 2006 because no album ever came out. If Bucket was there in 06, I think people might have given the band some more time. Bucket was the other person that could have matched to Axl and Slash which people wanted to connect with.

He definitely made the right decision. Once he realized Axl was gonna keep dragging his feet about releasing the album, he left. Then when the album FINALLY came out years later, Bucket was all over the album, even his picture.

The best songs on the album, Chinese, Better, TWAT, IRS, & Prostitute, featured a combined force of Robin & Buckethead on guitar. To me the trio of Axl, Robin & Bucket was coolest and most creative force behind NuGNR. Once that dynamic fell apart, especially after Robin took off, this incarnation of Guns was finished.

To say that the trio of Axl, Ron & DJ pales in comparrison is a gross understatement. Even when this band is "active", meaning touring, it's like watching paint dry.

Edited by sofine11

Yes he made the right choice. He was replaced by a superior guitarist. He should have done it long before he did. If only Axl had had the brains to make similar improvements with his replacements for Brain and Robin, this would be an amazing band again.

I like Bumble, but Bucket's tone is better, he's more melodic, and his solos are more memorable. I'd say they're comparable, but 'superior' is not the word I would choose to describe him against Bucket.

• Like 1

I think Buckethead got a buzz appearing in front of so many at *that* Rio gig. He even posted YouTube links on his website, all be it links to his solo section's. At the same time, I got the impression maybe he felt he was on a leash, and was probably frustrated at the slow pace Axl works at, and the total lack of output at that time. Yes, Buckethead was right to quit. What did Axl do - bitch about it. What did Buckethead do - say nothing, and release a ton of music.

Yes he made the right choice. He was replaced by a superior guitarist. He should have done it long before he did. If only Axl had had the brains to make similar improvements with his replacements for Brain and Robin, this would be an amazing band again.

I like Bumble, but Bucket's tone is better, he's more melodic, and his solos are more memorable. I'd say they're comparable, but 'superior' is not the word I would choose to describe him against Bucket.

100% this. Compare Bucket's solos on the album to Ron's and they aren't even in the same ballpart of talent. That's not to say that Ron isn't a great guitarist. He clearly is. I think his work on Shackler's showcases that the most. It's just that Bucket is a million times better.

It's obvious that the 01/02 lineup was the lineup that Axl wanted. The 2009-13 lineup is the one he and the fans had to settle for since everyone else walked.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

Best choice anyone has ever made as far as GNR is concerned.

What we lost: overly-technical emotionless guitar player who is all kinds of weird and totally disconnected from the fans

What we gained: the only member of the band who regularly interfaces with fans, not to mention that he can play pretty much anything and play it like he means it

• Like 1

I'd say superior is the only word to describe Ron when comparing him with Bucket. That's the strange thing about opinions, huh?