Is Axl Rose done putting out music?

Nick85

You know, in wake of what will inevitibly be another tour leg announcement, I got to thinking...Is Axl simply not interested in putting out new music from here on out?

It's really starting to seem that the fallout from Chinese Democracy's release just utterly drained the man of any interest to put himself in the position of putting out music, pressures of dealing with the label, and opening himself up to the subsequent criticism that may follow.

During the Axl chats in early December of 2008, while Chinese Democracy was still riding fairly high on the charts even with minimal promotion, Axl seemed genuinelly psyched about the prospect of putting out the next album, talked openly with fans about upcoming tracks, and even said they were considering a possible release the following year.

Several months later, after Chinese Democracy had fallen off the charts, and the reality & repercussions of the non-promotion from both the label and Axl had set in, we got the Del James interview. An interview where a seemingly jaded Axl batted away questions about the next album and gave a quick "Don't know and don't care." response when asked about when it may see the light of day. Sadly, that was the last time Axl spoke publicly about the prospect of another record.

Putting the mostly self-promoting comments from various band members regarding the progress of the next GNR record aside, we still have have yet to hear from Axl on the subject...nearly 5 years later.

And now, it seems that the current time off is going to culminate with yet another tour announcement, rather than an update regarding the next record. So where does this leave us? Is Axl simply content to tour the world with his adopted family, simply resting on the laurels of his previous efforts? Is this all there is now?

It's a shame that he's seemingly at peace with keeping all the great music he has from the fans. Sometimes I wonder if he knows how much his music means to us, or more, if he cares.

Edited by sofine11

Axl was talking to some fans during a signing after a concert earlier this year and someone asked him about 'Silkworms'. Axl, surprisingly, said that might be out 'later this year, actually' or something along those lines. There's a video of it out there somewhere, at least there was at the time. I'd say that's publicly talking about the next album, or at least some new music being released at some point.

Axl was talking to some fans during a signing after a concert earlier this year and someone asked him about 'Silkworms'. Axl, surprisingly, said that might be out 'later this year, actually' or something along those lines. There's a video of it out there somewhere, at least there was at the time. I'd say that's publicly talking about the next album, or at least some new music being released at some point.

Even if that quote is real, and I'm pretty sure it's just hearsay, if an album was on the horizon for this year, or even early next, wouldn't we at the very least hear some rumblings about it by now?

Don't get me wrong, no one wants to see me proven wrong more than me, however unlikely...

Edited by sofine11

Even if that quote is real, and I'm pretty sure it's just hearsay, if an album was on the horizon for this year, or even early next, wouldn't we at the very least hear some rumblings about it by now?

Don't get me wrong, no one wants to see me proven wrong more than me, however unlikely...

He said it to someone on this board after one of the Australia shows, can't remember who it was though. Not "just hearsay", but that doesn't mean it wasn't a little white lie to satisfy a fan and get him to stop asking about new songs......

I think he would love to put out his crappy CD leftovers. But he burned too many bridges and underperformed for so long that the powers that be have effectively buried him. Touring is his most reliable income stream for now. I don't think he really has a choice in the matter. And I think he probably resents the way the forum nerds expect something of him that he's incapable of delivering.

Edited by CoolRanchDressing
  • Like 1

Axl's fire is gone. Before he was so damn hungry to make it....then came AFD. I think it shocked them all....then as the checks came in and the "fame & fortune" kicked in he eventually "just needed more & more fulfillig".....then the whole "I just wanna bury Appetite" interview. Then he thought he was the fucking king and had so many damn yes men (and a nanny woman) that his head was so big people had to widen doors for him to fit through. Then the rest is history.....

I guess you didn't understand the part about Axl being on video saying that quote. On video... as in it really happened. Seems you're a pretty big fan... surprised you missed it.

Honestly, I'm sure there are some out there that do actually care about new music, but the masses, myself included, are only concerned with a reunion at this point. NuGnR is stale, and not really GNR at all.

Axl has not released music since 1993. He released some crap in 1999 and 2008, but if you call that music, I have bad news for you.

What crap are you talking about? OMG and the Chinese Democracy album are some of Axl's best work! Prostitute, Scraped, Riad, CD, Shackler's, TIL, Maddy....all amazing songs

• Like 1

You know, in wake of what will inevitibly be another tour leg announcement, I got to thinking...Is Axl simply not interested in putting out new music from here on out?

Heh, how can he be not interested "from here on out"? He might not be interested right now but even he won't know what he will want next year. Surely at some time he will want to release music again.

Axl was on Jay Leno before the Las Vegas tours and said on the show they were planning a new album. He didn't want to put a date on it, he just said it wouldn't take as long as CD took.

He was on Leno? Or are you confusing Leno and Kimmel?

I was. :P

Its is hard to see how they could do anything to impact the legacy of GNR. Axl is legend if he never does anhthing ever again.

Roger Watwrs was talking about the same thing on Hard Talk other day. He feels he has another record in him but hes not rushing it. He said he was as proud of Amused to Death and still as excited about his new stuff. But he dodged the question of whether he would ultimately be remember for what he did before.

I really think Axl has one more record in him.

Edited by wasted

"Is Axl Rose done putting out music?"

all things considered, right now it definately looks like that!

How so?

Where has that been said? They just got done touring. Since when do bands release an album right after they get off tour?

Multiple band members have hinted at new music later this year or early next. Fernando said they have plans for something in the next few months.

Fernando told me "we are trying" when I said "you guys gotta put out the next record". Make of it what you will. I don't think the ball is totally in Axl's court to release an album.

I really hope he wasn't bullshiting you and that there is real effort going on behind the scenes to get the next album to the fans.

I do believe Axl when he says that the label is holding things (or has in the past) up to some degree. here is my question though.

Couldn't Axl break the contract if they had a continued behavior that was contradictory to their original agreement which I'm sure involved releasing music?

Edited by tange

"Is Axl Rose done putting out music?"

all things considered, right now it definately looks like that!

How so?

Where has that been said? They just got done touring. Since when do bands release an album right after they get off tour?

Multiple band members have hinted at new music later this year or early next. Fernando said they have plans for something in the next few months.

Because:

- there is no news on ANY new music coming!! if you trust anyone close to/in the Guns camp when it comes to releases....you have lots of time left to learn!!

- these hired line-up never managed it yet to write and record together

- there is a strong possibility that Guns will tour early next year, Bumble wouldnt cancel any of his dates unless Axl is goin on tour.

so, you tell me....you think there will be new music officially be released before 01-02/2014? you think Axl is goin to release 5 more records this lifetime? Get real, he isnt Yoda!! though i might think he believes he will get as old as Yoda.

and further: wanna bet that Axl already has it written and signed(!!) by TB that about nothing will be released after his death?