Is Axl Rose done putting out music?

Nick85

There are a few things to consider here. First, the guys concept of time belongs in a different realm of physics than the rest of us. UYI vocals took a year to record and the guy was sleeping in the studio in a camp bed.

Second, he may be terrified of the sophomore slump that could hit CD II, this is entirely possible as the mystery around his music has faded from the public imagination. CD I like VR I was a solid effort but did not live up to the hype. Having followed and studied the man for over twenty years now, I'm believing that he cannot face the ridicule he imagines Slash and all of his other listed enemies will be heaping upon him in industry circles if CD II stiffed badly, got panned and fell out of the charts....no matter what he nor his followers say.

I just wish Axl would write and release a solo album and head out on a solo tour like Chris Cornell and just lap up the adoration of his hardcores. He's quite the conversationalist when he gets going so the in between songs parts could be great. he could travel light, no entourage, no bullshit. I think it would do the man the world of good. Sadly Axl seems to know nothing else except massive and pressurized dysfunction, I'd swear he gets off on it. He seems hard wired into the MORE AND BIGGER modes for GNR which I think has burned him out pursuing.

Drop the GNR name, write an album in a wood somewhere in two weeks, mix it on an eight track, release on your own label and head out to small venues to play it. it could be the purge he needs.

Great post.

I was serious when I said that all the fallout following the release of Chinese broke Axl. Putting out the second album may just be way more than the man can handle at this point.

Look at his response when Del pressed him about the second album after the "No idea and don't care." comment: "What I can say is that if you didn't like this (Chinese) then you won't like that." Keep in mind, Chinese got largely positive reviews from critics, and sold well given the complete abscence of promotion on both sides of the fence. But it seems that all he saw was the negative. Pair that with what he saw as being screwed over by his then management and the label, well, what do you think that'd do to his already fragile and sensitive personality? He literally called 2009 "the worst year of my life."

Looking at it that way, it will be nothing short of a miracle if he decides to put out new music on any level ever again...

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

There are a few things to consider here. First, the guys concept of time belongs in a different realm of physics than the rest of us. UYI vocals took a year to record and the guy was sleeping in the studio in a camp bed.

Second, he may be terrified of the sophomore slump that could hit CD II, this is entirely possible as the mystery around his music has faded from the public imagination. CD I like VR I was a solid effort but did not live up to the hype. Having followed and studied the man for over twenty years now, I'm believing that he cannot face the ridicule he imagines Slash and all of his other listed enemies will be heaping upon him in industry circles if CD II stiffed badly, got panned and fell out of the charts....no matter what he nor his followers say.

I just wish Axl would write and release a solo album and head out on a solo tour like Chris Cornell and just lap up the adoration of his hardcores. He's quite the conversationalist when he gets going so the in between songs parts could be great. he could travel light, no entourage, no bullshit. I think it would do the man the world of good. Sadly Axl seems to know nothing else except massive and pressurized dysfunction, I'd swear he gets off on it. He seems hard wired into the MORE AND BIGGER modes for GNR which I think has burned him out pursuing.

Drop the GNR name, write an album in a wood somewhere in two weeks, mix it on an eight track, release on your own label and head out to small venues to play it. it could be the purge he needs.

I've never agreed with your suggestion.............until now.

Why fight so hard to keep the GnR name if he was just going to do random tours and put out an album every 15 years? The lack of releasing new music ALSO builds the pressure for every release to be perfect.

Retiring the GnR name will eleviate all that added pressure.

Heck, if he did that, I bet Izzy and Duff would be up for an album and a tour.

Sofine --- one small dissagreement. I don't think the label was absent in promoting the album. I saw more promotion for CD than for 99.9% of releases out there. There were tv comercials for it, ads in magazines, newspapers. I find it hard to believe that anybody who "would" want to buy a new GnR album didn't know the album was coming out. TV, newspapers, magazines.....what more should the label had done?

Edited by Groghan

Sofine --- one small dissagreement. I don't think the label was absent in promoting the album. I saw more promotion for CD than for 99.9% of releases out there. There were tv comercials for it, ads in magazines, newspapers. I find it hard to believe that anybody who "would" want to buy a new GnR album didn't know the album was coming out. TV, newspapers, magazines.....what more should the label had done?

You're not wrong. I'd say Axl's 80% to blame, simply for being a complete no-show to his own party. However, the single could've been promoted and worked better. That falls on the label. It's a sin that Better wasn't the lead single out of the gates. Not sure who dropped that ball...

Axl was talking to some fans during a signing after a concert earlier this year and someone asked him about 'Silkworms'. Axl, surprisingly, said that might be out 'later this year, actually' or something along those lines. There's a video of it out there somewhere, at least there was at the time. I'd say that's publicly talking about the next album, or at least some new music being released at some point.

I think silkworms was just about the worst song fromthe CD sessions, along with OMG. Hopefully it stays buried.

Fernando told me "we are trying" when I said "you guys gotta put out the next record". Make of it what you will. I don't think the ball is totally in Axl's court to release an album.

Link? I've seen a reply on twitter to someone

Fan: we want cd 2

Fermanager: Working on it!!

You're not wrong. I'd say Axl's 80% to blame, simply for being a complete no-show to his own party. However, the single could've been promoted and worked better. That falls on the label. It's a sin that Better wasn't the lead single out of the gates. Not sure who dropped that ball...

Agree 100%.

CD was a terrible choice.

Better should have been number one. A lot of songs would have worked better than the generic CD. SOD sounds like old GnR. Catcher/Twat would have been cool. Even a song like Shacklers would have made people go "What the hell?" and had people talking about the sound. Even a cheesy rocker like IRS has a pop-rock vibe.

Whenever I used to try and hook my friends up with the album and knew I only had a 3-5 song opportunity to impress them, I never included the song CD in the group of songs I had them listen to.

The online chats came after the release of CD? and Axl seemed very pragmatic about his expectations on sales and in fact once out on tour sales have been good.

I agree with dodging a slash sales head to head. That might be the labels as much as anything.

In the end i think Axk will move on and maybe his musical journey is not always to go for sensational explosion in the media. I could see the next album being like pink floyd or roger waters album. Taking a while, being much less aggresive. More of an inner journey then slipping out to less media attention.

The fact remains the bubble hasnt burst. Axl still has the mystery enigma around. He diappears now for a few years until CD is embedded and people start recognising it and want more. Time is on his side.

Even if Axl doesn't release anything further from now, I hope he puts lyrics on al the unreleased songs, and oneday the faults open and we get 2 boxset 1 from the 87 - 94 era and one from the 1997 - 20?? era

Unfortunately this probably will only happen if something happens to Axl and we probably can't image what kind of legal Sh*t might have to be solved before any release (with all people involved with GNR/Axl)

Might take literay another 50 years before we hear most of the recordings <_<

Edited by merces

My opinion? Axl wants a release, and in fact wanted to release a new album back in 2010. I think there are issues he has no/limited control over which are holding up a release.

I hope more than anything that these issues are resolved in the near future.