Is Axl a musical genius a'la Lennon, Prince, Dylan, Jackson?

Young_Gun

As far as singing, performing and being a frontman, 90's Axl is in the same league as these guys. He's probably more of a performer and frontman than Lennon or Dylan ever were. Prince, though I don't like him, is an animal as well. That said, as far as songwriting is concerned, no way is Axl in the same league as Dylan or Lennon! Axl had his magic moments. But these guys have all been absolutely stellar at multiple points in their career (with a band or without). Sure, they also had their lows. But they've had SO many huge high's... Axl doesn't even come close. And that's 90's-Axl. Modern day Axl isn't in the same league as any of these guys to begin with on any front. I'm sorry to say this, but modern Axl is a liability on stage and seems to be pretty much impotent when it comes to creating music.

So I guess Axl COULD have been in their league. Maybe, at some points during the late 80's and early 90's, he was. But when you take the matter of sheer long-levity and producing high quality material over a longer period and/or during multiple periods into account... not even a contest.

Edited by username

Axl will always be known for what could have been. It's like a Greek tradegy.

Unfortunately that is right. His potential was wasted because of his problems. But his music is very special to me, anyway, so I guess is that what matters.

A Greek tragedy summarizes GNR history, specially when it comes to Axl.

Sweet Muscular Jesus, in no way, shape or form is he a one of those. :lol:

He was a great frontman at his peak, has written (mostly co-written) some really good songs. He ain't Dylan/Lennon/Prince etc.

Edited by Angelica

I typed out a long post and deleted it by accident. Basically, as an artist, no, I don't know many who would say he is, but he has had moments that are pretty special and that's more than most manage. Don't know what you'd call that though. Depends where you draw the line.

When you think about what that word means, and what people who are at that level did, then no. Axl is not a musical genius.

The thing is, I don't understand why it matters. Music is there to make you feel. And you don't have to be a genius to come up with something that will move millions of people.

Not an excuse, it's just doesn't have as much value as modern society gives it imo. Axl is way too unstable to have a clear, constant connection to inspiration. He overthinks everything. Thinking that if he will just put more time into it, he will improve it.

But he's good enough of a musician to create songs that are comparable to some of the best, or at least he did at one point in time.

Personally, I like the fact that there is someone like him that struggles with himself in that way cause the result to me at least, is always interesting.

He's not a genius, but he's brilliant when everything clicks and comes together in that fucking head of his. In his moments of inspiration, if you're a fan, you're going to get something special, and that's good enough for me.

:rofl-lol:

Can't we just enjoy our favorite band without pretending it's something it so obviously is not?

So true.

Edited by Rovim

Some people consider Prince a genius but I don't consider him to be up there too with Bob Dylan, John Lennon, David Bowie, Roger Waters or Bruce Springsteen. Those are the genius guys

ew.gif?t=1204847503
Seriously, if you studied up on Prince you'd think differently. None of those other guys have written, produced and performed songs with the quality, quantity and diversity that he has. Rap, rock, funk, R&B, pop, new wave, jazz, blues ... he does it all He's provided hit songs for Sheena Easton, The Bangles, Sinead O'Connor, The Time, Sheila E and Chaka Kahn to name a few. He has recorded entire albums where he alone sang every lyric and played every instrument, self taught of course. He has his own recording studio and his own music label.
Axl is a great singer and a decent songwriter, but that's about it.

Some people consider Prince a genius but I don't consider him to be up there too with Bob Dylan, John Lennon, David Bowie, Roger Waters or Bruce Springsteen. Those are the genius guys

ew.gif?t=1204847503
Seriously, if you studied up on Prince you'd think differently. None of those other guys have written, produced and performed songs with the quality, quantity and diversity that he has. Rap, rock, funk, R&B, pop, new wave, jazz, blues ... he does it all He's provided hit songs for Sheena Easton, The Bangles, Sinead O'Connor, The Time, Sheila E and Chaka Kahn to name a few. He has recorded entire albums where he alone sang every lyric and played every instrument, self taught of course. He has his own recording studio and his own music label.
Axl is a great singer and a decent songwriter, but that's about it.

A lot of good posts in this thread. I 100% agree. Prince is a genius imo. Not for everyone, but no musician is really. The man is a great guitar player and a truly fantastic song writer. He's also crazy as shit.

Prince is a genius imo. Not for everyone, but no musician is really. The man is a great guitar player and a truly fantastic song writer. He's also crazy as shit.

Yup, who else could get away with the stuff he's done in the past? The orgasming guitar with Baby I'm A Star, the simulated fucking with Darlin' Nikki, the bathtub with Doves Cry, all the cleverly disguised metaphors in his hits, entire songs dedicated to oral sex (Head) and incest (Sister) and creamy thighs (Erotic City), he was truly groundbreaking and a master entertainer.

Could Axl do this on stage with his lead guitarist? :lol:

tumblr_lljb0r3r9j1qguve2o1_400.gif

I don't know, because it's hard to know what he does in the musical process. Also the image presented is of an untamed rock vocalist. He works in a collaborative band situation also.

If he really is mostly responsible for GNR's music, then yes.

or even heavily involved in SCOM, Nov Rain, Estranged, SOD, TWAT, Catcher, TIL. Then yes maybe too.

He's a similar figure to Jagger or Mercury, the music and band he's involved in obscures individuals.

Is Izzy a musical genius?

I don't know, because it's hard to know what he does in the musical process. Also the image presented is of an untamed rock vocalist. He works in a collaborative band situation also.

or even heavily involved in SCOM, Nov Rain, Estranged, SOD, TWAT, Catcher, TIL. Then yes maybe too.

He's a similar figure to Jagger or Mercury, the music and band he's involved in obscures individuals.

I don't think any single Gn'R member from the classic line up is a musical genius. Together they wrote genius music.

I guess you can be called a genius when you don't need anyone else to create in that level. You have all the skills and you just do it.

I don't think any single Gn'R member from the classic line up is a musical genius. Together they wrote genius music.

I guess you can be called a genius when you don't need anyone else to create in that level. You have all the skills and you just do it.

That kind of counts out everybody? Apart from Lenny Kravitz.

Some people think there's no such thing as a genius.

If you go along with the notion, then it's bringing something new and startling to your field.

In someways GNR are a subheading under The Rolling Stones - Aerosmith, GNR, Van Halen etc.

The Stones invented this genre. So Jagger is the genius of hair metal.

In this topic a lot of people are letting their fandom level overtake their common sense level.

And that is really, really confusing and upsetting in a fan forum, right?

Topic: Since I can relate to his lyrics even when he's singing about lawyers I'd definitly consider him some sort of genius.

Edited by Funkadelic
  • Like 1

If you go along with the notion, then it's bringing something new and startling to your field.

In someways GNR are a subheading under The Rolling Stones - Aerosmith, GNR, Van Halen etc.

It always helps me to define what a musical genius is when I think about Hendrix and The Beatles but I realize it's also just my subjective preference.

It always helps me to define what a musical genius is when I think about Hendrix and The Beatles but I realize it's also just my subjective preference.

genius is subjective in the end. maybe there's more geniuses around than we think.

If being a vocalist is musical, surely Axl is a genius, he's one of the top rock vocalists ever. He's pretty much a one off combined with his on stage persona and live shows.

Outside of this genius thing I'm just not sure what he does. Lyrics and melodies. Is that big? He's not really a prolific songwriter. But he could put alongside Page in terms of producing big rock numbers. There's not a lot of bands that have done things like Nov Rain, Estranged, Madagascar, TWAT.

Axl is like Elvis, they are like a force of nature. Charisma and talent rolled into a ball of unknowable win. Genius implies some sort of conscious effort. The Kubrick element of Axl in the studio, the so called perfectionism has genius potential.

CD is the only thing GNR have done that could be genius. It's unique, the first band to mix nu metal with classic rock. Axl needs to put out a few more records, maybe go solo. People are more likely to see Kurt Cobain as a genius though.

Edited by wasted