Is Axl a musical genius a'la Lennon, Prince, Dylan, Jackson?

Young_Gun

Axl reached that level 1987-1993. But for Axl to reach Dylanesque levels of brilliance he would have had to continue to release records at intervals which possess a calibre as high as Appetite and the better songs on Illusion. Axl instead turned into a paranoid slob and spent the period when he should have been peaking crying about Steph Seymour and messing around with overdubs. It would be the same if Dylan released Freewheelin' and then sat on a couch for twenty years, i.e. no Blonde on Blonde, no Highway 61, no Blood on thee Tracks..... Or, if the Beatles imploded after three albums and ended up sitting in their beds masturbating for thirty years. Neither of those artists would be considered 'geniuses' if those hypothetical scenarios happened. But they did not and we are left with many masterpieces instead of one - perhaps two (which is the situation with Axl).

• Like 1

Axl reached that level 1987-1993. But for Axl to reach Dylanesque levels of brilliance he would have had to continue to release records at intervals which possess a calibre as high as Appetite and the better songs on Illusion. Axl instead turned into a paranoid slob and spent the period when he should have been peaking crying about Steph Seymour and messing around with overdubs. It would be the same if Dylan released Freewheelin' and then sat on a couch for twenty years, i.e. no Blonde on Blonde, no Highway 61, no Blood on thee Tracks..... Or, if the Beatles imploded after three albums and ended up sitting in their beds masturbating for thirty years. Neither of those artists would be considered 'geniuses' if those hypothetical scenarios happened. But they did not and we are left with many masterpieces instead of one - perhaps two (which is the situation with Axl).

Bob insisting on Axl singing KOHD is genius.

Axl is certainly gifted but he unfortunately didn't have what it takes to sustain what he started. Billie Joe Armstrong makes a good point in their documentary Quatro around how bands who take long breaks don't come back as good and that you have to keep playing and writing to stay on top of your game. For all we know, Axl hasn't written anything new in 10+ years. He's given up on the industry, basically a defeated man. Tragic really.

He is not a musical genius and his stage presence is very overrated too.

I agree with the former but disagree with the latter. These days? Sure. But from 88 to 93 he was about as mesmerizing as a stage performer can be.

He was amazing (or I wouldn't be here) but he wasn't Freddie, or Bowie, or Bon Scott, or Jagger or Springsteen. After all Axl just ran from one place to another. with almost zero interaction with the audience and even his bandmates.

There, I said it.

• Like 1

The only one close to the level of Dylan is probably Tom Waits in my opinion. Tom Waits lyrically is close to dylan and is superior musically. There is a great youtube video out there of Brain talking about playing with Waits and how he would challenge him musically.

Michael Jackson is the furthest thing from a musician. He was a singer and a performer. Quincy Jones wrote the lions share of his stuff along with lional Richie. Jackson is one of the most overated "artists" of all time...on top of being a child rapist, of which im not a fan of either.

Prince is not my thing but is highly talented.

One name that fails to be mentinoed enough in the "musical genius" debate is Frank Zappa. Dude played someting like 26 instruments and covered the whole palet of musical styles.

thats my 0.2 cents

Michael Jackson is the furthest thing from a musician. He was a singer and a performer. Quincy Jones wrote the lions share of his stuff along with lional Richie.

This is simply incorrect,

Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough

Workin' Day and Night

Billie Jean

Wanna Be Starin Somthin'

Beat It

Bad

The Way You Make Me Feel

Spped Demon

Liberian Girl

Another Part of Me

I Just Can't Stop Loving You

Dirty Diana

Smooth Criminal

Leave Me Alone

Heal the World

Black or White

Who is It

Will You Be There

They Don't Care About Us

Stranger in Moscow

Earth Song

DS

Money

Childhood

Little Susie

Morphine

were all written by solely 'Michael Jackson'. The only song Quincy Jones co-wrote was Pretty Young Thing.

• Like 4

Yes, he is. Look at what he did with Oh My God, or what he did on Coma. Or listen to the original piano demo of November Rain. It's incredible, he does not need to follow any structure or composition used in popular music and the songs still don't fall to pieces. Or the energy he's able to put into his music, that's what matters and it's awesome.

Another thing I really appreciate about Axl is that he never fell to that "only go through the motions" when talking about writing new music. He could have made a dumb rock n roll album with slash and make millions, instead he chose to risk his career and reinvent what he did in music completely. He did not succeed, but nor did he completely fail and I'm glad we have Oh My God instead of 10 boring rock hits.

I just think Axl makes stuff that means something to him. That isnt stuff that falls off trees or you turn the handle on.

Yeah, but isn't that what every genuine musician does? Or at the very least it's what real musicians attempt to do or think it's what they're doing.

Yes, he is. Look at what he did with Oh My God, or what he did on Coma. Or listen to the original piano demo of November Rain. It's incredible, he does not need to follow any structure or composition used in popular music and the songs still don't fall to pieces. Or the energy he's able to put into his music, that's what matters and it's awesome.

Another thing I really appreciate about Axl is that he never fell to that "only go through the motions" when talking about writing new music. He could have made a dumb rock n roll album with slash and make millions, instead he chose to risk his career and reinvent what he did in music completely. He did not succeed, but nor did he completely fail and I'm glad we have Oh My God instead of 10 boring rock hits.

What a contradiction.

So you don't think Axl is talented enough to write more than 15 songs every 15 years? Because if he'd put out three albums in that time frame, we'd end up with albums full of "dumb rock n roll with boring rock hits".........

Why compare him to Slash, a GUITAR player?

Why not compare his band to other bands.

Odd that other bands are able to put out quality music for their FANS to enjoy every few years...........but Axl could only manage one album in the last 15 years.

You guys are funny.

Nutters worship Axl for NOT putting out music.

Only on this forum do fans like that exist.

Happy that their idol isn't putting out music and bashing artists that do release music. Lol.

At least there's more layers to Axl than "self-absorbed arrogant dick" though. ;)

You really think that's all there is to Kanye? Have you listened to much of his stuff?

I've given it a few spins, but the guy just annoys the living daylights out of me. He's a more arrogant cunt than Liam Gallagher. Which is quite the accomplishment in itself. Now, with Liam I'm able to overlook that because I dig his music. But Kanye... no. Most of it just ends up being verbal masturbation on his part. Sorry if I've offended any of his fans, but I really can't stand the guy.