Why do you think Axl constantly sabotaged the old band and new band with his tardiness in the studio and in concert?

Randy Lahey

Wow, what a fierce discussion...

It is not fair that he's late, true, but I also don't like it when people go so over the top with the misery and suffering of those who are waiting. Everybody knows what Axl's like and that he'll probably be late. If it pisses people off so much they have a clear choice to make - not buy the ticket. Wanna teach Axl to be on time? That's what you should do.

Psychological condition?!?! Do me a fuckin' favour, you lot don't half talk out of your fuckin' arse sometimes :lol:

Lateness, although not a disease in and of itself, can be a symptom of an underlying psychological condition.

Yeah, like bipolar disorder? Maybe... I know is a chronic condition, so it can have some influence on his lateness, because his mind just can't concentrate in doing things right sometimes.

I read that one time Axl started a conversation in his hotel room with some friends, I think Bumblefoot was there and it was him that told this story, and he totally lost track of how many hours had passed. And have been passed 20 hours. People who working with him, says he gets compulsive when he starts to do something, and could be anything, like tell jokes. Once he starts he can't stop for a very long time.

So, I think that his mind digresses a lot and sometimes he misses the time, because he is engrossed in something else, or for any other reason.

Since Marc confirms Axl can't control this, I believe him because he knows Axl. Simple as that.

• Like 1

I will say it again AXl is not in control of his time. It he was able to control it I'm 100% sure that he would be on time for gigs. The people around him try to help but it still doesn't always work.

Sorry Marc but I find myself having a hard time getting around that statement. Has Axl ever heard of a little device called, a watch, an alarm clock even? In fact phones these days have alarm clocks built in. Merely set a remainder on the thing and your phone goes off in your pocket. And how does having people helping him, not work? This is impossible to understand. Presumably if, say, Fernando, goes ''30mins until showtime'' all Axl needs to do, is remember that he has a show to play in 30 mins time!! Surely even Axl's notoriously short attention span can retain this piece of information?

LOL clearly the Einstein's theory of relativity does not apply to Axl. E=MCfuckedup

Yes Axl does have a watch and he does know what time it is but thats not going to help. It is what it is and there is really nothing that is going to change it. When he is ready to get to where he needs to be, thats when he will start to go. You can go back and forth all day long about this but trust me you don't really know what's going through his head at any given time.

• Like 2

You know, I've taught kids with serious learning disabilities, and Axl fits the profile to a tee. Maybe I shouldn't make fun of him for being semi-literate. Even with those kids, though, you don't let them get away with the excuse that they're not in control of their time. You develop systems and routines for them to better manage something that gives them difficulties. This is all part of Axl surrounding himself with sycophants imo.

Edit: And perhaps he has developed those systems and routines cuz this isn't as much of a problem anymore, is it?

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Load of fuckin kowtowing bullshit if you ask me, a sad old man that forgot he played for a team

And thought the limelight was all about him and purposely went about constructing a life for himself where that delusion was preserved but whatever, i'd never pay to watch his bullshit gigs no more so he can do what he likes.

• Like 2

Miss Paradise, on 05 Oct 2013 - 4:30 PM, said:

Yeah, like bipolar disorder? Maybe... I know is a chronic condition, so it can have some influence on his lateness, because his mind just can't concentrate in doing things right sometimes.

I read that one time Axl started a conversation in his hotel room with some friends, I think Bumblefoot was there and it was him that told this story, and he totally lost track of how many hours had passed. And have been passed 20 hours. People who working with him, says he gets compulsive when he starts to do something, and could be anything, like tell jokes. Once he starts he can't stop for a very long time.

Lateness, although not a disease in and of itself, can be a symptom of an underlying psychological condition.

So, I think that his mind digresses a lot and sometimes he misses the time, because he is engrossed in something else, or for any other reason.

Since Marc confirms Axl can't control this, I believe him because he knows Axl. Simple as that.

Good accessment. Highly creative people have harder times filtering external stimuli. This kind of person would have a hard time distinguishing what needs prompt attention and what can be ignored. They simply can't decipher where to focus. Sometimes their mind is also focused on the negative and what can go wrong so they keep checking every thing. The brain can be rewired but it takes discipline. There have even been studies on creative people and distractions. I'm sure Axl is on the case. I know I made progress by simplifying my routine.

Load of fuckin kowtowing bullshit if you ask me, a sad old man that forgot he played for a team

And thought the limelight was all about him and purposely went about constructing a life for himself where that delusion was preserved but whatever, i'd never pay to watch his bullshit gigs no more so he can do what he likes.

That cuts both ways tho. He has all the limelight but also all the pressure.

You know, I've taught kids with serious learning disabilities, and Axl fits the profile to a tee. Maybe I shouldn't make fun of him for being semi-literate. Even with those kids, though, you don't let them get away with the excuse that they're not in control of their time. You develop systems and routines for them to better manage something that gives them difficulties. This is all part of Axl surrounding himself with sycophants imo.

Edit: And perhaps he has developed those systems and routines cuz this isn't as much of a problem anymore, is it?

You are sounding more lovely everyday! Good on you! :)

"You develop systems and routines for them to better manage something that gives them difficulties." Right you are!

Wow, what a fierce discussion...

It is not fair that he's late, true, but I also don't like it when people go so over the top with the misery and suffering of those who are waiting. Everybody knows what Axl's like and that he'll probably be late. If it pisses people off so much they have a clear choice to make - not buy the ticket. Wanna teach Axl to be on time? That's what you should do.

Do not worry about that one. I made that decision awhile back.

Does everyone here 'wait for the right moment to do things' when they are due in for work? Basically, the reason W. Axl Rose is late at gigs is that he is a pampered prima donna who gets a high for treating his fans like shit. No amount of psycho-babble can disguise this fact.

Not that I really care since as far as I'm concerned GN'R's last show was Farm Aid and it's been a different band ever since then & up until that point they didn't have a reputation for being late.......but I think there is an element to truth to the whole "power going to head" thing since whenever they were opening or playing festivals or whatever else where if they weren't on stage on time they wouldn't get to play, they always made it on stage on time. It was only after there were no consequences of being late (apart from fines), that they started going on late. And to me that just screams power going to your head and disrespect to the fans, whether intended, realized or whatever else.

• Like 1

Not that I really care since as far as I'm concerned GN'R's last show was Farm Aid and it's been a different band ever since then & up until that point they didn't have a reputation for being late.......but I think there is an element to truth to the whole "power going to head" thing since whenever they were opening or playing festivals or whatever else where if they weren't on stage on time they wouldn't get to play, they always made it on stage on time. It was only after there were no consequences of being late (apart from fines), that they started going on late. And to me that just screams power going to your head and disrespect to the fans, whether intended, realized or whatever else.

That's what I have always said or thought.If he could get on stage when they were doing festivals and were the opening band.Than why on earth can he not so it now?

Edited by SweetRose

Not too many people here have to do their job in front of 20,000 people watching their every move.

Not on here, but you do not have to look far to find people who play to much greater figures than that (40,000, 70,000 etc): Springsteen, McCartney, Roger Waters, U2. No major artist from the world of popular music, be it Beyonce or Metallica, suffers from the same 'disease' as W. Axl Rose. That is just fact.

By the way, '20,000', I take it you are using a South American show as an example haha?

Guest Len B'stard

And anyway, what yous are basically saying is he has a 'disease' (i can't tell you insulting this is to my intelligence) that makes it so he is incapable of doing his job.

I'm always torn on this issue. Axl might have bipolar disorder (or something like it), but I really fail to see why there aren't things arranged to get him there by at least 9.

On the other hand, he's been going on at 11-11:30 since the 80s. Why do people still get surprised and/or pissed that he's late? He's actually been pretty consistent. Never ready at 9, always ready at 11.

In my mind, the promoter, etc. should probably plan around this expectation. It worked with the Brooklyn Bowl (sort of). They shouldn't even let people into the shows before 8:30.

I read and saw enough to understand that Axl is a vulnerable and extremely complicated person. I've got really frustrated with his attitudes many times. But I respect him as an great artist and I see he is an unique person.
He has many mental issues, lateness is just a consequence of all his problems.
Not saying is always the case. Sometimes he just screw up, who knows what is really happening when he is not on stage yet? Maybe he is just being an asshole.

But I really think in most of the cases it is not his intention.

This discussion has become pointless. Axl has many supporters among the people who know him for real, so I guess that despite all his faults, he must be a good person in some way.

Guest Len B'stard

Personally i don't think there's anything worth arguing about anymore, his ship has long sunk, whats he gonna do now anyway? What, release a new album that blows the world away and totally puts them back on the map? I can count on the fingers of one hand how many artists have managed that at his age, especially when they started off in a youth orientated type band, he's an old man as far as rock n roll goes and quite frankly i think he's made all his mistakes and everything from here on out is about living with them, as a band, as a credible artist with some level of mileage in him he has long sunk.

Its not like he's some blues or folk guy where age don't really matter or whatever, it's done for him, he's gonna, at best, be this retro rock act in perpetuity til he's too old to get up and go through the motions anymore.

As far as new music? Pfft, lets all hold our breath and see what happens :lol: GnR are just this old thing that some people once thought could've been The Stones but didn't cut it. But hey, in Axls defence, there's a lot of lives lost and scattered around that particular path. That had their time, their good albums, their day in the sun etc.

Edited by sugaraylen

I think there's a lot to be said for the fact that Axl hasn't really been all that late in the past years. He seems to have gotten a better handle on the situation, why I don't know.

As far as current GNR catching crap for the weird expectation that they're a continuation of "the most dangerous band in the world", it just doesn't make sense. The original five guys wouldn't even be that anymore. The moniker is more affectionate than anything else- because they were the most dangerous band when they hit the scene. Remaining that way would be impossible, and not even desirable in my opinion. That shit's for youth. People get older, they hopefully grow, the moniker becomes a nod to what they brought into the world, and what they gave to fans at the time.

For all the faults of the band over the past x years, I don't see them mellowing out as one of them. It would be even more embarassing for any one of them to try to live up to that particular reputation forever.

Sorry if that's a bit off topic- it wasn't directly brought up in this thread, but I've seen it thrown around a bunch elsewhere.