Was Going Down really a good song?

Young_Gun

Now that enough time has passed and the novelty and excited has waned, what do you guys think of Going Down now? I never thought it was anything special. I thought the intro was the best part. The lyrics were bland and unoriginal("coffee is cold") and the chorus was pretty lame. I still feel the same way. What are your opinions on it now?

I still like it and think it's better than some of the songs on Chinese Democracy.

I wish they would get rid of the electronic stuff though. I love electronic music / electro-rock and industrial music ( it's my favourite genre actually ) but I don't think songs like Going Down, Catcher or TWAT need bland electronic rhythms on top of the drums to be honest.

Its a simple straight rock n roller. And a real good single kinda song. Its radio friendly. And although axl is on backing vocals

That shouldn't matter. We've had songs as attitude, 14 years. Dust n Bones. And in the old days more songs with Duff and Izzy on vocals. Why would it matter if Tommy took lead one time. Gnr fans is used to these things. It should go on radio and they should make a video for it.

Video should be just gnr playing the song in the studio or during rehearsals and make a kinda :yesterdays video for it.

it's a perfect re-entry song for gnr in this year/next year.

why couldn't they pick a song to be a first single with Tommy on vocals and Axl on backing.

We've have those songs before, 14 years, Dust N, Bones, Attitude, sentimental movie etc.

gnr fans are used to it, and for regular people it could be a blow of fresh air to them.

And they should make a video for it.

a kinda Yesterdays movie, just the band in the studio playing along to the track or in a warehouse and with photo's from the new band etc.

epic!

Better than most songs off CD.

This.

That's not saying much coming from me, but I think it's a legitimately good song. Not a world shaker, but very good. Get rid of that fuckin' solo, though.

Overall I think its a very good song, better than a lot of CD. But like everything nugnr is doing these days, it feels a little incomplete. Like its missing something.

Here are my critiques...

I agree, the solo isn't very good. It's not bad, and its very techincal, its just lacks emotion imo. I want to tell bumble to use less tricks and play with more emotion. Which seems backwards to me, Bumblefoot is a much better guitarist than me, but I feel like I could of played a better solo. Let the notes ring, let me feel your soul a little BBF. His opening riff he does feels a little forced imo also. I just don't think it helps the song. It feels unneeded imo.

Also Axl needs to sing the whole song imo. That would really help give it a lies feel to it, instead of a dust n bones or 14 years. Neither of which any nonfan would even know is gnr. But if you play them one of the acoustic numbers off of lies they will recognize it as gnr instantly. I know Tommy wrote it, but if Axl has anything left, he would sound better on it. Axl used to be able to sound really well singing in a lower register, what happened there? The high voice should only do the chorus. Another thing about Tommy's vocals I don't like, its hard to understand what he saying in the verses sometimes, especially the first verse. I think Tommy sounds good on the chorus, maybe then him and Axl can duet it, but I'd really like to hear Axl during the verses. If done correctly, it could really take the song to the next level.

So to sum it up...

1. Let Axl sing the whole thing

2. Tell BBF to go back to the drawing board. Give me more emotion and less tricks.

It's a decent song. A pretty good song. But definitely not a future classic or anything.

But yeah, GnR fans are starving. I'm sort of expecting Bob Geldoff to organize some sort of global benefit concert for us soon.

• Like 1

I haven't been fond of it from the start to be honest. Only listened to it a couple times in the first few days then decided to give it a few more spins when everyone seemed to like it more than me. I just ended up not impressed with it.

I haven't been fond of it from the start to be honest. Only listened to it a couple times in the first few days then decided to give it a few more spins when everyone seemed to like it more than me. I just ended up not impressed with it.

h8r

Guest cbgnr666

Its definetly a nice little song they got there.I like to see a re release of Appetite minus My michelle,Think about you,You're crazy,Any thing goes and Out to get me and add in some new fresh songs like this.I skip all them songs now as well as Jungle and most times paradise city,and only look forward to them in a live concert,so I think its time for a freshing up.

Its definetly a nice little song they got there.I like to see a re release of Appetite minus My michelle,Think about you,You're crazy,Any thing goes and Out to get me and add in some new fresh songs like this.I skip all them songs now as well as Jungle and most times paradise city,and only look forward to them in a live concert,so I think its time for a freshing up.

I'm sorry but fuck that. It's not like they haven't had time to make a NEW album. No need to recycle AFD material. It'll only get worse anyway.

i'm still playing it. i think it's very different from ChiDem and would have seemed out of place on the record, but it's also better than a lot of ChiDem and gives me faith that there could be other songs of equal quality that are yet to be released...

So you're saying that if Axl doesn't write the music or the lyrics and only sings sparingly and buried in the mix, there might be some good Nu songs out there? :lol:

Yeah, still think it's a really good song, and listen to it quite a bit. I like all the guitar work on the song, with the exception of the "wah wah" guitar solo, which while i don't mind it, I will say it isn't great. Did I read somewhere that somebody thought that was actually Robin? Or it is definitely BBF? That solo could perhaps be re-thought, as mentioned the rest of the guitars are fine.

Would obviously love to hear it with better sound quality. I love Tommy's vocals and Axl's backgrounds, wouldn't change it really. It does feel like Axl's volume level is a little uneven at times throughout the song, another reason why I'd like to hear a better mix.

Verdict: still really digging it.