Do you think Axl should apologize to the fans for only releasing one album since he took full possession of the GNR name?

Randy Lahey

No apologies needed.

Axl viciously wrestled away the GNR name, and in the process he lost the very people who made GNR what it was. And then, after it was obvious he'd never, ever achieve anything great without the original band, he stopped releasing music.

It's a tragic comedy.

• Like 2

No apologies needed.

Axl viciously wrestled away the GNR name, and in the process he lost the very people who made GNR what it was. And then, after it was obvious he'd never, ever achieve anything great without the original band, he stopped releasing music.

It's a tragic comedy.

Great post

If Axl could go back in time he'd probably change alot (like keeping ownership of GnR but keeping it dormant). Things woulda been alot different had he just gone solo (he basically is a solo act but uses the Guns name to generate exposure....but I think Axl Rose as a solo artist woulda been better than CD and he could have gone in all sorts of directions will different musicians rather than worrying and spending time trying to replace members.

No, because he puts on 3 hour shows and has been showing up on time. And giving concert-goers (like you) what they want.

If he put on a true 3 hour show that would kick ass. You can't count jams and solos and shit. I understand he's old and out of shape/couldn't sing song after song without a break, so mix in some acoustic stuff. But to have multiple jams and solos....that's the musicians playing for 3 hours, not Axl. If Axl himself would be on for 3 hours (ala Bruce Springsten) then I'd be impressed.

I don't think fans need an apology.

While it's disappointing to us that more hasn't happened in terms of Axl sharing his skills, it's probably just as frustrating for Axl and the Band themselves.

(Even if we say it's Axl's fault - I don't think those faults are easily within his power to control - just part of his nature - so at the end of the day to me he is what he is - the plus side of that has been the great songs - and the down side has been the negatives we all know)

I would like to see a form of apology between Axl and the old band though - with people admitting some faults on all sides.

This doesn't have to mean a reunion if that time is over, but on a human level the ongoing war is just harmful at this point, and also, there's all kinds of things us old timers could enjoy if peace could be found. Imagine box set with a remastered MTV ritz show coming out with this fabled 3D vegas show. For too long it's been like Slash vs Robin etc...it'd be great if we could move on to a kind of "enjoy all eras" of the band type of thing. Like how Ac/Dc put out proshots of stuff with Bon and stuff with Brian and fans have preferences but most people end up getting them both.

I think all sides of the old band could kind of look back in comparative old age and realise they did what they had to do at the time to survive in impossible situations. That goes for Axl taking control of the name, and Slash pressuring to tour and finish music fast. They were all just in survival mode really. I don't understand why we can't at least get to a place where they can appear at functions together as a band that was.

• Like 3

He doesn't even have to apologise for that. I guess it would be nice if he felt like he could engage fans online whether directly or through one-way communication. It's certainly disappointing because it's such a waste.

CD felt like two albums at least.

On release there were 6 new singles.

If they made videos for Scraped, Shacklers, If the World, TIL, Sorry, Prostitute.

They could of padded out the tracks on CD with covers and extra tracks and released a double. If theres another album or two of CD quality stuff that would be mind blowing.

• Like 1

Nobody has to apologise to anyone (except maybe their partners and siblings) for their career choices.

Axl made his decisions and many people used to care (the millions of fans) , now maybe not so many.

If the man is happy and feels this is the only way it could be, then there is no more to say really.

Axl need only apologise to his legacy and place in history because even though its unique and made even more so by the CD saga, he should have been leading a band as big as U2 or the Stones. But if he didn't want that crown then the man is clean and clear.

The late starts are rthe only thing that needs a public apology.

Edited by Intercourse

Axl need only apologise to his legacy and place in history because even though its unique and made even more so by the CD saga, he should have been leading a band as big as U2 or the Stones. But if he didn't want that crown then the man is clean and clear.

Sums it up perfectly.

I think Axl DID, in fact, want that crown. He was arrogant enough to believe he could still be worldwide legendary by replacing Izzy and Slash with fucking Paul Huge and fucking DJ Ashba.

But I think he's realized his failure by now. He knows he's nothing compared to what he used to be.

Sums it up perfectly.

I think Axl DID, in fact, want that crown. He was arrogant enough to believe he could still be worldwide legendary by replacing Izzy and Slash with fucking Paul Huge and fucking DJ Ashba.

But I think he's realized his failure by now. He knows he's nothing compared to what he used to be.

Everyone in music today is nothing compared to what he used to be. Do you think they realize it too?

I don't think fans need an apology.

While it's disappointing to us that more hasn't happened in terms of Axl sharing his skills, it's probably just as frustrating for Axl and the Band themselves.

(Even if we say it's Axl's fault - I don't think those faults are easily within his power to control - just part of his nature - so at the end of the day to me he is what he is - the plus side of that has been the great songs - and the down side has been the negatives we all know)

I would like to see a form of apology between Axl and the old band though - with people admitting some faults on all sides.

This doesn't have to mean a reunion if that time is over, but on a human level the ongoing war is just harmful at this point, and also, there's all kinds of things us old timers could enjoy if peace could be found. Imagine box set with a remastered MTV ritz show coming out with this fabled 3D vegas show. For too long it's been like Slash vs Robin etc...it'd be great if we could move on to a kind of "enjoy all eras" of the band type of thing. Like how Ac/Dc put out proshots of stuff with Bon and stuff with Brian and fans have preferences but most people end up getting them both.

I think all sides of the old band could kind of look back in comparative old age and realise they did what they had to do at the time to survive in impossible situations. That goes for Axl taking control of the name, and Slash pressuring to tour and finish music fast. They were all just in survival mode really. I don't understand why we can't at least get to a place where they can appear at functions together as a band that was.

great post

No, he f#cked up royally, but he will never shake his bad image that he only has himself to blame for.

If you're pointing your finger at everybody that they're to blame and you're always blameless, then people catch on to you.

But when that day comes that this circus finally comes to a close, and the payroll stops for the many hangers-on so they dissapear, I wonder how he'll feel then? He'll probably still be pointing fingers.

Do you think Axl should apologize to the fans for only releasing one album since he took full possession of the GNR name?

I think he should apologize YES!

No new albums, still late on stage, no interviews, has his mommy manage his band...

Yeah he owes a statement at least. But he's not mature enough for it, so who cares...

I think he should apologize YES!

No new albums, still late on stage, no interviews, has his mommy manage his band...

Yeah he owes a statement at least. But he's not mature enough for it, so who cares...

I'd make him walk from Malibu to Indiana, stopping at each town left with GnR fans to beg forgiveness for years of pathetic and/or nonexistent progress. And for those shit guitar solos that seem to be the hallmark of nugnr.

No, because he puts on 3 hour shows and has been showing up on time. And giving concert-goers (like you) what they want.

I totally agree.

So in your opinion, touring off on and more than a decade, makes up for putting out one album over a 15 year period?

I totally agree.

He might be giving concert goers like you what they want, but other concert goers (like me) want to hear something other than a decade-plus old setlist performed with ever-deteriorating quality. I want to see GnR & Axl at the top again, filling venues and playing new material. If you've completely given up on that however, I don't blame you.

In any case, an apology would get us nowhere. A renaissance, however unlikely, is what we'd all love to see.

I think they can only get back to that fever pitch level with a reunion. GNR is more of a working band. It's a job. It's not a sensation anymore. Somehow CD garnered a lot of hype around it, ultimate bad publicity. Just keeping up with established bands like ACDC, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Soul Asylum, Soundgarden, NIN must be the objective.

Axl can take 10 years making another album which will again get enough attention and they can tour for the money and fun. I don't see how they can fuck this up.

The other option is a trilogy of CD II and CD III released simultaneously with videos, that would cause a splash.

Maybe they could do an 8 track EP as a stop gap, the remix album and extra tracks like The General and Atlas. But indifference is something to avoid at this point.

Edited by wasted