A genuinely awesome interview with Bumblefoot

Guest NGOG

Didn't they realise they were only employees? If Beta or Axl decide the band will play with a monkey violonist it will happen, end of story. Shit move to hire a new member just 2 weeks before a tour though while the other weren't even aware there would be a new guy soon.

• Like 3

Could Robin actually play Bucket's parts on the CD songs, though? I'm not a guitarist so I don't know, but Bucket's playing seems beyond Robin's technical ability.

Absolutely not.

While I like Bumblefoot and he is of paramount importance to the current line-up; Finck/Fortus would have been killer.

I don't blame the then incarnation for the hostilities Ron was subjected to. It was ridiculous for management (probably at the request of Axl) to recruit a third guitarist when the band were weeks into preparation as a two piece.

Maybe if Axl actually had a more active role in the band rather than relying on management all the time, this clusterfuck of a band would have a decent chance of doing something great. This is a dude who did not even know that Bucket had left the band and subsequently blamed management for the miscommunication. Geez Axl, that hard to give your own bandmembers your phone number?

You say you don't blame the band for their (blatently unprofessional) behaviour.

I blatantly said the band didn't articulate their annoyances in a constructive way. Instead of directly challenging management, they childishly isolated Bumblefoot in a bid to force his resignation.

However, management acted stupidly (GNR management acting stupidly, who'd of thought it) by forcing a new guitarist on a band together for years/under the premise they were touring as a two piece.

You say you don't blame the band for their (blatently unprofessional) behaviour.

I blatantly said the band didn't articulate their annoyances in a constructive way. Instead of directly challenging management, they childishly isolated Bumblefoot in a bid to force his resignation.

However, management acted stupidly (GNR management acting stupidly, who'd of thought it) by forcing a new guitarist on a band together for years/under the premise they were touring as a two piece.

It should have been common sense to the band that Bucket would be replaced since none of them were talented enough to replace him. It was Robin that shouldn't have been.

Agree with you on both. The point of difference between us is that I think they shouldn't have bullied him, while you think it's understandable because of his late arrival.

We can keep up the double speak, but just for clarity can we also agree that "didn't articulate their position" = bullied, & "management" = Axl. If you don't agree with the first definition, take it up with Ron. If the second's a problem, you're tripping.

I like Ron a lot - not so musically if I'm being honest - but he's clearly a genuinely nice guy. Just when I read some of his quotes I find them, kinda strange. If I were being unkind I'd say he thrives off the attention and almost comes across (to me at least) like 'pity me' - I may be wrong as I'm not privy to the inner world of GNR and my views are as a fan of the band.

Dunno it's like I can't put my finger on it but at a guess I maybe don't think he's a sincere as he would like us all to believe. Again, I know that sounds harsh but I just honestly think there are things you should ALWAYS be allowed to say privately but publicly? Put it this way if you were Tommy, Richard ex reading that interview you can't honestly tell me you'd be mighty pissed off!? I've read it 3 times now and it's just very very strange IMO.

I like Ron a lot - not so musically if I'm being honest - but he's clearly a genuinely nice guy. Just when I read some of his quotes I find them, kinda strange. If I were being unkind I'd say he thrives off the attention and almost comes across (to me at least) like 'pity me' - I may be wrong as I'm not privy to the inner world of GNR and my views are as a fan of the band.

Dunno it's like I can't put my finger on it but at a guess I maybe don't think he's a sincere as he would like us all to believe. Again, I know that sounds harsh but I just honestly think there are things you should ALWAYS be allowed to say privately but publicly? Put it this way if you were Tommy, Richard ex reading that interview you can't honestly tell me you'd be mighty pissed off!? I've read it 3 times now and it's just very very strange IMO.

I hear you & unfortunately feel much the same. It's like you know he's a good guy, so you feel a bit guilty for partly seeing through what you guess may be a bit of an act.

Also like you, I find his guitar work isn't to my taste and I think it's a bad fit for gnr. But as a guy he seems genuine, and speaks from the heart in interviews. You can't fault that, esp in the disillusioned, zero-info world of gnr.

However over the years, I think many of us have noticed that his words and actions just don't quite seem to match up. He talks artistic integrity but hangs around for years with no creative input. He tours an ancient set-list for the umpteenth time, apparently under duress, and then attempts suicide on the tour.

We're only scratching the surface Subsy, but personally I think your intuition is spot on. Whether deliberately or not, there's a picture of a victim being painted.

I hear you & unfortunately feel much the same. It's like you know he's a good guy, so you feel a bit guilty for partly seeing through what you guess may be a bit of an act.

Also like you, I find his guitar work isn't to my taste and I think it's a bad fit for gnr. But as a guy he seems genuine, and speaks from the heart in interviews. You can't fault that, esp in the disillusioned, zero-info world of gnr.

However over the years, I think many of us have noticed that his words and actions just don't quite seem to match up. He talks artistic integrity but hangs around for years with no creative input. He tours an ancient set-list for the umpteenth time, apparently under duress, and then attempts suicide on the tour.

We're only scratching the surface Subsy, but personally I think your intuition is spot on. Whether deliberately or not, there's a picture of a victim being painted.

I concur with everything you just said - in particular the bit about you know he's a good guy and you feel guilty for saying it -- same as you mate. But something isn't right with him IMO I'm afraid.

I concur with everything you just said - in particular the bit about you know he's a good guy and you feel guilty for saying it -- same as you mate. But something isn't right with him IMO I'm afraid.

He fits in in Guns then.

He fits in in Guns then.

In his defence we have to remember that the gnr world is less Chinese democracy and more Chinese water torture. I think we'd all get a bit twitchy with too long in such a position.

Wherever that slight flaw in you character is, they find it. They'll make you play paradise city so many times you end up questioning your worth. People react in different ways, but i think most everyone would crack eventually.

Dunno it's like I can't put my finger on it but at a guess I maybe don't think he's a sincere as he would like us all to believe. Again, I know that sounds harsh but I just honestly think there are things you hide whashould ALWAYS be allowed to say privately but publicly? Put it this way if you were Tommy, Richard ex reading that interview you can't honestly tell me you'd be mighty pissed off!? I've read it 3 times now and it's just very very strange IMO.

I think he just tells it as it is, he doesn't what's going on inside GnR. It's not much different then axl trying to get pity from fans blaming slash for everything during the 2001 or 2002 tour. Bumblefoot is just saying that things were bad, now they're better.

That said, if I were Richard or Tommy, I would be pissed.... But I'm not them, they might not give two fucks.

He fits in in Guns then.

In his defence we have to remember that the gnr world is less Chinese democracy and more Chinese water torture. I think we'd all get a bit twitchy with too long in such a position.

Wherever that slight flaw in you character is, they find it. They'll make you play paradise city so many times you end up questioning your worth. People react in different ways, but i think most everyone would crack eventually.

I'll patiently await DJ's turn then.

A guy has put a bunch of questions together, and what Bumblefoot said is the outcome to those questions.

It's not that strange to be honest. Men always keep stuff to themselves, it is the way things work. Think of someone like Gary Speed, he was a man's man, but commited suicide despite seemingly having the perfect life

If Bumblefoot is able to find solace and output in an interview, then it is better for him personally. At least it is out of his system and he can move on.

We, as people, have to be selfish sometimes for our ourselves. And that is it really

Edited by Mysteron

If there was any doubts about this being Axl's puppet 'band' now it's pretty clear, that they're all just plain employees being paid to do whatever Axl the boss wants, without having a say. It's expectable but still pretty sad...

Ron is one tough mf - gotta give him the props for enduring so much shit to the present day.

Gotta say, I share similar sentiments. His playing doesn't compliment Axl well at all.

Bumble seems like an alright dude. But I don't get why he would stay in something he's not very happy with. He makes complaints on a relatively regular basis , and either back tracks, or the complaints never seem to get addressed and he stays anyways.

I'd pity him, and respect him more, as well as believe in the whole integrity aspect if he just left then. Obviously based on this interview as well as other instances, he's far from content playing with Axl's venture. Sure, maybe he has contractual obligations, but I doubt he'd be the first musician ever to bounce before they were met. There's gotta be loopholes.

Personally, I think he's still there because this is the most financially secure (along with stability) that he'll ever receive, and also because of a, now faded, belief he can make his name notorious through his contributions to "gnr". Not even trying to be a dick here. But to me, that's gotta be the most likely scenario here. Otherwise, it makes no sense why he would put himself through so much shit apparently.

A guy has put a bunch of questions together, and what Bumblefoot said is the outcome of those questions.

It's not that strange to be honest. Men always keep stuff to themselves, it is the way things work. Think of someone like Gary Speed, he was a man's man, but commited suicide despite seemingly having the perfect life

If Bumblefoot is able to find solace and output in an interview, then it is better for him personally. At least it is out of his system and he can move on.

We, as people, have to be selfish sometimes for our ourselves. And that is it really

Agree that the bottom line is bumble's health.

I'd question the idea that he's simply venting though. There are excellent people you can go see to do that in complete confidence. This is a public interview that he knows will be dissected by fans. And he's clearly an intelligent guy who's not new to any of this.

While some of what he reveals may be completely spontaneous, you couldn't reasonably believe that at least some of what he's revealing isn't considered, and some of that in turn is intended to make us see him & his position in gnr in a particular way.

The Gary Speed story is tragic - he was a gent. However, I think that story goes alot deeper than wikipedia and I don't feel I know enough of the truth to comment fairly.

A guy has put a bunch of questions together, and what Bumblefoot said is the outcome of those questions.

Agree that the bottom line is bumble's health.

I'd question the idea that he's simply venting though. There are excellent people you can go see to do that in complete confidence. This is a public interview that he knows will be dissected by fans. And he's clearly an intelligent guy who's not new to any of this.

While some of what he reveals may be completely spontaneous, you couldn't reasonably believe that at least some of what he's revealing isn't considered, and some of that in turn is intended to make us see him & his position in gnr in a particular way.

The Gary Speed story is tragic - he was a gent. However, I think that story goes alot deeper than wikipedia and I don't feel I know enough of the truth to comment fairly.

I think Bumblefoot offered considered answers to the questions. But I do not believe that it was anything more than that. Men, typically, are controlling but not manipulative

As for the Gary Speed thing, that was just a reference to the generic studies about men and depression.