How did you get into Guns N' Roses?

wfuckinga

Bought appetite soon after its release after seeing a pic of the band in some rock mag and thinking Axl was fucked because he had his nipples pierced. Disgusting, I'd never seen anything like that before but I was in 6th grade I think maybe 7th.

I didn't listen to it for awhile but when I finally did it was the first album I've ever loved start to finish first listen.

A friend of mine was sitting in front of my desk, the whole class was a mess, and then he pressed the button of the cellphone(An HTC, one of the firsts with windows mobile 6):

"Take me down to the paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty..."

- Hey, buddy, what's the name of this song?
- Paradise City
- Which band?
- Guns N' Roses

From that day on, that was my favourite band. Nowadays i'm not so sure about it.

Guns is also singly responsible for me giving in way late and buying CDs.I had a ton of cassettes but when my second copy of UYI2 got eaten I went out and bought the cds before I even had a player

Edited by smoke

Heard Paradise City in the 5th grade and was hooked! Back then, MTV actually played music videos so I soon fell into an obsession that would last until 1993 or so. Got a purple boombox from RadioShack one Christmas and was so proud to play my cassette tapes of AFD, Lies, and UYI I & II. GN'R was my very first concert.

Grade 6 - would have been around '89 i guess, got the AFD taped from a tape that was taped from a tape i think. Was in love playing that on my yellow water resistant sony walkman while mowing the lawn, delivering papers and riding the bus to school. Grade 7 my whole look changed as a result. I showed up first day of school in cowboy boots with chains, some kind of metal band t-shirt, a leather biker style jacket (which i still have) and long hair. Looking back its funny as shit, because if I picture my 11 year old nephew looking like that now i laugh my ass off. I only saw the original lineup once in concert - i thnk it was '92 at Copps Coliseum in Hamilton. Great show, i remember AXL storming off stage after being hit with something and Duff finishing the vocals on whatever they were playing (Paradise maybe?). Duff has been my favorite since. Saw lots of boobs that night too. :)

Fell out of it in the grunge days for a bit, doing the major summer alt rock conerts through highschool.

Then in college, when MP3 downloading became a thing, i re-discovered GNR and have never looked back. Now 13 years graduated and GNR is still in heavy rotation on my phone's playlist. Went to see them in '11 & '12 at Copps again, almost went to vegas this year but timing didn't work out with the arival of my 2nd kid. I hope they continue to tour because my 3 year old fucking LOVES them (due to the aforementioned heavy rotation no doubt) and when he's a bit older would love to take him to see a show.

Rock on!

In 1988, we were all hanging out at a friend's house. Her older sister, who was home visiting from college, knocked on the door and handed us a copy of Appetite... Holy crap! They said... fuck? Repeatedly? We played it over and over again that night- until her Dad pounded on the door around 2 am and shouted "Turn that shit off!" LOL. Hooked for life. :shades:

Probably late 1996. I was 16 and I went to a friend's house who had a 60 disc CD changer. I sat and played cards with him all night long while listening to his shitty ass music...he had the whole thing full with CDs. Guns came on and it was "Lies." I knew all about Guns already because my sister listened to it when I little. "You're Crazy" came on and I remember remarking "Ha, I think it's the singer who's crazy isn't it?" and my friend was like "Probably." After that came Use Your Illusion and November Rain...such a beautiful song. I had never really heard it before then. I remembered liking Paradise City and Nighttrain when I was younger so I went out and bought AFD a couple of weeks after that. The rest is history.

Later I discovered Jewel on that exact same CD changer when I woke up to "You Were Meant For Me" playing. It was the most beautiful voice I had ever heard. :)

EDIT: I remember scouring the internet soon after, looking for all the rare GNR downloads, news, and concerts. I found Here Today Gone To Hell back when it had a weird ass Swedish URL or something. I was very disappointed to learn Slash had left the band, although what I really wanted to hear was an Axl solo piano album.

Edited by Amish

A friend living in NYC, who was plugged into the L.A. music scene, told me they were a band to checkout and took me to see them at the L'Amour and the Ritz in 1987 and they became one of my favorite bands. They were two of the best concerts I have ever witnessed and blow away the shows I saw during the UYI tours........

November 2008, because of Chinese Democracy. Knew 4 or 5 of the old GNR hits before that.

I remember telling Axl after the Glasgow 2012 show "I got into GNR because of Chinese Democracy!"

Axl: "Oh, that's... interesting."

Probably thought I was a nutjob.

A friend living in NYC, who was plugged into the L.A. music scene, told me they were a band to checkout and took me to see them at the L'Amour and the Ritz in 1987 and they became one of my favorite bands. They were two of the best concerts I have ever witnessed and blow away the shows I saw during the UYI tours........

Goddamn you :lol: