If Slash has closed the book on GN'R, why does he continue to play GN'R songs at his concerts?

wfuckinga

Who moved this thread from D&N? The counterpart is over there :( "It goes both ways" was because someone asked why Axl plays stuff from Slash's era if he thinks he should've left after Lies

It goes both ways

Not sure what the point of this thread is? Slash playing songs that he was instrumental in creating like SCOM, PC, RQ, etc? Why is that a problem?

It's not like Slash is playing Chinese Democracy, IRS, etc. at his shows like Bumblefoot did playing an entire solo concert of GnR shit that he had no part of!

Simple, because nobody knows or cares for his solo material. This goes back to that horrendous first Snakepit album.

Can't blame the guy really....he doesn't want to bore the crowd to death.

Same thing can be said about Axl and his brand of GnR.....and in fact, Axl leans more heavily on the classic lineup's back catalogue than slash does......
Axl doesn't have any solo albums, and as he is GN'R, he can play whatever he wants onstage.

And yet his setlist more heavily favours the old material then Slash's does. Axl lives off the old material while Slash continues to mke new music and incorporate it into hsi setlists...............go figure

Simple, because nobody knows or cares for his solo material. This goes back to that horrendous first Snakepit album.

Can't blame the guy really....he doesn't want to bore the crowd to death.

And yet his VR Snakepit and solo albums sold fairly well while Axl has populated his setlists with mostly old Guns songs basically ignoring the CHiDem material...again go figure..............

• Like 1

I think about 15% of Slash's setlists are, GN'R.

About 90% of Axl's are old-GN'R.

Big difference. Axl relies on the past and the cheese. Slash releases new records and plays new songs.

Not sure if you have been to a Slash show it not but it seems like you just don't know or are lying.

Slash setlists are about 50% covers (including VR). I have no problem with it as that's what people are really paying to see.

Edited by Coma16

It's a little disingenuos to say that 50% of his setlist is cover songs. True , they might be songs that he released in different incarnations/bands but they were all songs that he wrote with those said groups. Don't know if you can really truly play a "cover" of your own songs. But by your logic I'm sure you'd totally agree then that since 2000 Axl is definitely just the singer of a GNR covers band because none of the musicians he's worked with since 2000 have had ANY involvement in creating any of the songs that make up most of their careers and setlists since then.

It's a pretty stupid topic question if you ask me, just trying to stir up the same extremely old and tired Slash Vs. Axl feud bs. Both Duff and Slash still regularly express how proud they are of what they accomplished in GNR so just because they might've lost any hope of ever doing a reunion gig with AXl doesn't mean they never want to play the songs that they created back then ever again.Axl on the other hand constantly shits on his old bandmates, wants to deny his own history and the people who helped him have the career he still enjoys now ( remember the days when he always used to claim how Slash and the guys were his favorite band and musicians in the world etc.) and wants to be totally seperated from anything GNR prior to 2000 and yet continues to constantly tour and has no problem performing the songs that all those old traitorous scumbags created for him to sing to all those years ago. If anything, Axl is the one who is wholly in denial about "moving" on. If he moved on he would perform a full show of the entire CHinese Democracy album with some covers and a handful of old GNr songs mixed in but he's never done that.

If you listen to any of the early Use Your Illusion shows Axl again and again tells the audience that if they just got up there and played all of Appetite songs and didn't debut any of the new stuff "It would be just like jerking off" . That's right from the man's mouth, so I guess over the past decade or so Axl's gotten a lot more comfortable with just jerking off on the crowds that come to see him.

Slash setlists are about 50% covers (including VR).

How are they covers if they're songs he made?

Does Alice Cooper "cover" School's Out?

I was just responding to the member that said Slash's setlists only contain 15% on GNR material. That is just plain wrong. Again, I see nothing wrong with Slash playing those tunes.

I was just responding to the member that said Slash's setlists only contain 15% on GNR material. That is just plain wrong. Again, I see nothing wrong with Slash playing those tunes.

Which does not change the fact that what you claim is incorrect as Slash had a hand in making those songs so they are not covers of other peoples music...........

Which does not change the fact that what you claim is incorrect as Slash had a hand in making those songs so they are not covers of other peoples music...........
Whatever floats your boat champ. Some of you guys like to bypass the original statement and nitpick things as a means of deflection. My point still stands: Slash's setlists are more than 15% Guns N Roses material. Prove me wrong or don't bother replying.

Whatever floats your boat champ. Some of you guys like to bypass the original statement and nitpick things as a means of deflection. My point still stands: Slash's setlists are more than 15% Guns N Roses material. Prove me wrong or don't bother replying.

I never commented on your statement regarding what % of Slash's setlist is GnR songs so you are the one deflecting "champ" as you stated 50% of Slash's setlist is covers which is bullshit....nice try though............

I never commented on your statement regarding what % of Slash's setlist is GnR songs so you are the one deflecting "champ" as you stated 50% of Slash's setlist is covers which is bullshit....nice try though............
I was under the impression that a song was considered a "cover" unless it was being performed by the artist/band that it was originally released by. My bad if I was mistaken. I guess one can learn something new everyday on mygnr!

I was under the impression that a song was considered a "cover" unless it was being performed by the artist/band that it was originally released by. My bad if I was mistaken. I guess one can learn something new everyday on mygnr!

Considering Slash was one of the artist who originally released the GNR songs that would not make them covers yes?...Axl doing AC/DC songs are covers as he did not write them but IMHO Slash doing GnR songs would not be covers.

Considering Slash was one of the artist who originally released the GNR songs that would not make them covers yes?...Axl doing AC/DC songs are covers as he did not write them but IMHO Slash doing GnR songs would not be covers.

Just because it makes sense to you doesn't make it true (opinion doesn't equal fact). I see what you are saying though.

Just because it makes sense to you doesn't make it true (opinion doesn't equal fact). I see what you are saying though.

Agreed mate that is why I said IMHO..........I would not doubt there are some here that think when Slash plays an old Guns song it is a cover yet when Axl does the same thing it is not because he owns the name...just a matter of opinion I think..........

• Like 1

I think if Slash could, he probably wouldn't play as much GNR songs, but, hey, those are the songs the people want to hear the most when they go to the shows. I'm just glad that the setlists are always changing and that he, Myles, Conspirators are pushing to play their new material, as they can, and I expect them to do the same for the next album.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

cov′er ver`sion
n.

a recording of a song by a performer or group other than the original performer or composer.

Slash is not covering a song. If you want to say that Myles is doing covers that's fine, or the other guys in Slash's band, but Slash, no.

cov′er ver`sion

n.

a recording of a song by a performer or group other than the original performer or composer.

Slash is not covering a song. If you want to say that Myles is doing covers that's fine, or the other guys in Slash's band, but Slash, no.

Like I said, I'm I'm mistaken then my bad. Doesn't change the fact of my original statement that Slash's concert are comprised of over 15% GNR material. I've been to 3 of them in the past 3 years...

Personnaly, he could stop playing GNR songs and I wouldn't mind.. SCOM is getting old and I would be satisfied if he ended the show with Slither or Anastasia. I guess he feels obliged to play them for the casual fans, maybe.

I've seen Slash live, most of his set is covers. I was at the show he played Simple Man at though, that was pretty fuckin' cool

Obvious cupcake is obvious.

I've seen Slash live, most of his set is covers. I was at the show he played Simple Man at though, that was pretty fuckin' cool

How are his sets covers? Most of the songs are ones he helped write or play with the bands he was in............

From bands that he help destroy... His "solo" career is the reason why VR is no longer around.

Personnaly, he could stop playing GNR songs and I wouldn't mind.. SCOM is getting old and I would be satisfied if he ended the show with Slither or Anastasia. I guess he feels obliged to play them for the casual fans, maybe.

Obvious cupcake is obvious.

Slither is one of his best songs live.

Axl milks the heyday way more than slash does. About 75% of slashs set list is his post gnr material, while for Axl it's the opposite. By far.

Who's really moved on? Seems rather obvious :lol:

I think since Axl can play up to 7 covers in one show and only 4 "new" songs, and screwed up the old band and the new also, some people want to believe that Slash is doing as bad as Axl, which is not exactly the case.

Obvious cupcake? Better be... He almost exclusively plays songs that he wrote or co-wrote.

A cover show would be one where he'd play stuff like KOHD (Dylan), Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC), The Seeker (The Who), LALD (McCartney), Riff Raff (AC/DC), Don't Let It Bring You Down (Young), Another Brick In The Wall (Pink Floyd) ect...

From bands that he help destroy... His "solo" career is the reason why VR is no longer around.

Thanks! Reading this made me realize I'll never have to take your posts seriously ever again. This is too ridiculous to even argue with.