Apocalypse Now - Greatest movie of all time

wasted

Guest Len B'stard

I think I could very easily. To be the greatest of all time you've got to've offered something to cinema, pioneered on some important long lasting level. It is, in and of itself, a wonderful film though. One of the best i've ever seen. But the best of all time? I dunno, how does one judge these thing? The closest i can fathom is that it has to tick all it's critieria boxes with a healthy dose of a few important aspects i.e. it has to be entertaining, profound on some level perhaps, some universal level, it has to've pioneered and offered something to the medium of cinema, it has to have exceptional performances acting-wise etc etc

I think I could very easily. To be the greatest of all time you've got to've offered something to cinema, pioneered on some important long lasting level. It is, in and of itself, a wonderful film though. One of the best i've ever seen. But the best of all time? I dunno, how does one judge these thing? The closest i can fathom is that it has to tick all it's critieria boxes with a healthy dose of a few important aspects i.e. it has to be entertaining, profound on some level perhaps, some universal level, it has to've pioneered and offered something to the medium of cinema, it has to have exceptional performances acting-wise etc etc

you didnt make a case there. Other than mispelling greatest i think might be on to something. I think it ticks all the boxes and is entertaining. But maybe Deer Hunter is more profound.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah i wasn't trying really, just laying out my criteria. The key bit i think is innovation, it's not really like...didn't really break any ground in a purely cinematic sense, i think thats important if you are thinking in the sense of film history.

Yeah, I was kind of focusing on the obese old man out of touch with reality surrounded by primitive natives that worship his every move kind of similarity :lol:

I was at the pool other day wearing my george clooney hawaiian shirt and as i walked past this couple on the loungers the guy said this guy lookslike george clooney and the chick goes george clooney isnt obese. Fuck you, just fuck you!
  • Like 1

The original or Redux?

I like that it gets weirder the further up the river they go.

He also made one of the most popular chick flicks ever, "The Outsiders", and one of the best suspense movies ever, "The Conversation".

A lot of people don't even know he's still directing films.

There's no such thing as "the greatest film of all time".

Porkies?

If by Porkies you mean "Porky's", one thing is certain, you're the greatest MyGNR poster of all time. :lol:

Edited by NGOG

Yeah i wasn't trying really, just laying out my criteria. The key bit i think is innovation, it's not really like...didn't really break any ground in a purely cinematic sense, i think thats important if you are thinking in the sense of film history.

for me it's not about innovation it would be packaging up everything so if you watch it it's like ok that is basically all you need to see really. yes you can go backwards and say something invented that and you can go forward and say it's been done more realistically in this movie. but Apocalypse Now is one of ponces from the 70s doing his biggest movies. It's like The Beatles he had the freedom to go all the way. He's got a lot of great actors in the jungle with guns and high on drugs. it's using a great book but he's exploring psyche of vietnam, one of the more important pop culture references, it's like a metaphor for a whole generation. Like I said maybe the Deer Hunter is more profound but it's much more of a chore to watch, whereas Apoc Now is entertaining, it's a spectacle and maybe does have some profound on a fraction bullshit at the end. Cinema peaked around that time in that universal way. Battleship Potemkin is like caveman rubbing sticks together compared to Apocalypse Now.

Can anyone make a case against that?

Beaten by 2001 A Space Odyssey, in my humble DOOM opinion...but it could be in 2nd place for sure.

I don't think it really caters to the masses enough. It's very challenging but I wouldn't lay it down as one of the must sees of cinema. It's like Top 10 maybe. You can watch the fireworks, playboy bunny scene in Apocalypse Now and get the same from it.

I wouldn't argue against the notion of Apocalypse Now being the greatest movie of all time.

I'm trying to argue against it. Maybe The Shining or something by Kubrick. Scorsese, Taxi Driver, but it's all a bit mundane, Raging Bull, Goodfellas.

Olly is a bit heavy handed NBK has a lot of stuff in it though, De Palma is bit trashy, great movies, very stylized. Woody Allen, If aliens landed I want to give them something more than that.

Godard, Fellini, I like it but are you really going to put up a black n white piece of shit with no narrative, just some guys creeping around in dark suits as the greatest movie of all time. I'd want some thing visually audacious, great narrative, epic set pieces and memorable lines, actors, the whole shebang.

I wouldn't argue against the notion of Apocalypse Now being the greatest movie of all time.

I'm trying to argue against it. Maybe The Shining or something by Kubrick. Scorsese, Taxi Driver, but it's all a bit mundane, Raging Bull, Goodfellas.

Olly is a bit heavy handed NBK has a lot of stuff in it though, De Palma is bit trashy, great movies, very stylized. Woody Allen, If aliens landed I want to give them something more than that.

Godard, Fellini, I like it but are you really going to put up a black n white piece of shit with no narrative, just some guys creeping around in dark suits as the greatest movie of all time. I'd want some thing visually audacious, great narrative, epic set pieces and memorable lines, actors, the whole shebang.

Saigon... Need I say more?

Guest Len B'stard

for me it's not about innovation it would be packaging up everything so if you watch it it's like ok that is basically all you need to see really. yes you can go backwards and say something invented that and you can go forward and say it's been done more realistically in this movie. but Apocalypse Now is one of ponces from the 70s doing his biggest movies. It's like The Beatles he had the freedom to go all the way. He's got a lot of great actors in the jungle with guns and high on drugs. it's using a great book but he's exploring psyche of vietnam, one of the more important pop culture references, it's like a metaphor for a whole generation. Like I said maybe the Deer Hunter is more profound but it's much more of a chore to watch, whereas Apoc Now is entertaining, it's a spectacle and maybe does have some profound on a fraction bullshit at the end. Cinema peaked around that time in that universal way. Battleship Potemkin is like caveman rubbing sticks together compared to Apocalypse Now.

I weren't necessarily highlighting innovation as a standalone thing, i was talking about like, it along with a healthy dose of the other things i mentioned. See it's a difficult thing because you're attempting to quantify something that isn't really meant to be quantified so the most logical way i can fathom out to come to some sort of answer as to 'the greatest film of all time' has to take into account all those little factors, and innovation is a key one. Because look at what you're saying, the greatest film of ALLLLLLLLLLL times. Thats a heavy crown to hang onto and it's gotta have more to it than 'it's enjoyable' any vast number of movies are enjoyable...but there's gotta be more. To my mind at least.