When considering who the best rapper of all time is......

Carne_asaDA

Guest Len B'stard

No because rapper is the broad umbrella under which battle MCs etc come, they're sort of a sub-division without certain elements, rappers are more complete entertainers whereas battle MCs are good at once specific thing. You can have a rapper who is a battle MC yet has all the other stuff like the presentation, the style, the attitude, the catchy shit that makes a good all round rapper whereas a battle MC can rap his fuckin' nuts off but then some of em can't come up with a decent hook or make a decent song to save their lives.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Chuck D or Ice Cube

You think Cube is better than Eazy-E?

I thought you knew better, Randy

But seriously, I think Nas, Slugg, Mos Def, Eazy-E, Jay-Z, MF Doom, and Busta are up there in terms of rapping ability.

If you factor in production and well crafted songs, I think Kanye, Tupac, Kendrick Lamar, and Wu Tang Clan defintely are on top.

There are just too many factors in determining the BEST rapper.

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Chuck D or Ice Cube

You think Cube is better than Eazy-E?

I thought you knew better, Randy

Eazy E is my personal favorite rapper of all time, but Cube is the one who wrote the lyrics to Boyz N The Hood.

That's fair enough.

Cube definitely had some amazing moments in NWA, but I think Eazy's unique voice and delivery is what puts him over the top for me.

Guest Len B'stard

Battle MC's are the cream of the crop. That's how MCing started. The west coast brought the "gangsta" shit and the south brought the "club" shit.

Thats a very romantic view but it's not the truth of things. It might be how things started but 99% of those guys wanted to be stars and the one in the early days that made it were the ones with that star quality, that rapper quality. Battle MCs are the cream of the crop as far as battling but hip hop is what it is today not cuz of battling but cuz of commercial rappers that sold millions upon millions.

Guest Len B'stard

Bob Dylan virtually invented rap in popular music -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trosB4pa3vg

Rap was created by Jamaican DJs that would talk in rhyme over remixes and rhythms, people like U Roy, they actually took cues from 50s American DJs that would talk you into a song and big up their radio station. Then you got people like Muhammad Ali, Dolemite and The Last Poets that bought that American edge and informed their reinterpretation of it. James Brown and his staccato, heavy on the rhyme style has a lot of influence there too.

That and the dozens.

Reggae is the father of hip hop.

Edited by sugaraylen

Bob Dylan virtually invented rap in popular music -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trosB4pa3vg

Rap was created by Jamaican DJs that would talk in rhyme over remixes and rhythms, people like U Roy, they actually took cues from 50s American DJs that would talk you into a song and big up their radio station. Then you got people like Muhammad Ali, Dolemite and The Last Poets that bought that American edge and informed their reinterpretation of it. James Brown and his staccato, heavy on the rhyme style has a lot of influence there too.

That and the dozens.

Reggae is the father of hip hop.

Well, I think soul, funk, and blues had a little to do with it too.