Rerecorded AFD

Gunner55

Hey Marc. Have you ever got to hear the rerecorded appetite album from 1999? Is it like a full on complete album? What would it take for it to see a release someday (I say chances are next to impossible)? Was the rerecorded vocals on the Live Era album for the 1999 AFD? Thanks for any light you can she'd on this topic.

Edited by Gunner55

I'd do almost anything to hear the re-recorded AFD.

The track list was the same but Anything Goes and Think About You (I think..) were replaced with Patience and You Could Be Mine.

I think it was You're Crazy and Anything Goes.

I'd do almost anything to hear the re-recorded AFD.

The track list was the same but Anything Goes and Think About You (I think..) were replaced with Patience and You Could Be Mine.

I think it was You're Crazy and Anything Goes.

This is what I've heard. But with the theories of people saying the Live Era album was some live and some studio (like Jungle or Used To Love Her) I wonder if it's a full album worth or recorded stuff or not.

Loder: Is it fair to say that we may never be hearing this stuff ever again? This old material?

Rose: No, no, that's not true at all. In fact, actually, I have re-recorded "Appetite" and --

Loder: You re-recorded "Appetite For Destruction?"

Rose: Yes, I have.

Loder: The whole album?

Rose: Yes.

Loder: Whoa.

Rose: Well, with the exception of two songs, because we replaced those with "You Could Be Mine," and "Patience," and why do that? Well, we had to rehearse them anyway to be able to perform them live again, and there were a lot of recording techniques and certain subtle styles and drum fills and things like that that are kind of '80s signatures that subtly could use a little sprucing up... a little less reverb and a little less double bass and things like that.

Loder: Who are the musicians who have re-recorded "Appetite?"

Rose: Josh Freese on drums, Tommy Stinson on bass, Paul Tobias on guitar -- you guys know him as Paul Huge, that's how it's been written everywhere. It's Paul Tobias on guitar, and Robin Finck was on lead guitar, but that... that will stay on some of it. Robin's guitar will stay on some, but not all. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, exactly, when I would be putting that out. But you know, it has a lot of energy. Learning the old Guns songs and getting them up, you know, putting them on tape, really forced everybody to get them up to the quality that they needed to be at. Once the energy was figured out by the new guys, how much energy was needed to get the songs right, then it really helped in the writing and recording process of the new record.

One of the dumbest things Axl has done. It was as if at that point he couldn't get any worse and then he goes and essentially erases the original band and puts out an album we already have that is considered a perfect album. Its as if he didn't realize that wouldn't lead to anything but problems. From the standpoint of him wanting the band to learn the songs and really live them, I guess its a good idea, but it didn't really help them make Chinese or anything so it all seems wasted and kind of stupid. Knowing how close Marc is with the original band, I'd be interested to know what he thought when he initially heard Axl did this. Did he think Axl was a dick because at that time wounds were pretty fresh or did he think it could have been a good idea? Because I personally don't see how it could have been.

When Axl told me what he was doing, I told him it was a very bad idea and then I spent 4 hours on the phone telling him all the reasons why. In the end he still did it but I think Slash and Duff were able to stop it. I never heard it which is fine. It also may have had different guitar solos on it. I do remembering him telling me that he wanted to change the solos and I told him that he was right when he wanted Slash to play the Sympathy For The Devil solo note for note because thats they way people know it and it is part of the song and that if he changed the AFD ones it would be the same thing. I'm pretty sure it would have been a big disaster. I was glad when I first saw the new band in Dec of 2000 play the songs with the AFD solos. I guess Axl realized that keeping the old ones was the right way to go.

I told him that if he wanted to show off the new people, the way to do that was with the new music.

Edited by recklessroad
  • Like 1

When Axl told me what he was doing, I told him it was a very bad idea and then I spent 4 hours on the phone telling him all the reasons why. In the end he still did it but I think Slash and Duff were able to stop it. I never heard it which is fine. It also may have had different guitar solos on it. I do remembering him telling me that he wanted to change the solos and I told him that he was right when he wanted Slash to play the Sympathy For The Devil solo note for note because thats they way people know it and it is part of the song and that if he changed the AFD ones it would be the same thing. I'm pretty sure it would have been a big disaster. I was glad when I first saw the new band in Dec of 2000 play the songs with the AFD solos. I guess Axl realized that keeping the old ones was the right way to go.

I told him that if he wanted to show off the new people, the way to do that was with the new music.

Didn't know of the possibility of new solos. I personally would not have wanted to have that happen. However I still would love to at least hear the album someday somehow. Thanks for the response Marc! Much appreciated as always.

How would it ruin anything? It's not like once the re-recording is released a bunch of ninjas break into your house in the middle of the night and steal your original AFD's.

True. Although how awesome would that be?!

Its more like there's no reason to tamper with a masterpiece. You only want to hear it because its this mysterious thing. It came out the way it was supposed to. Its like when Twisted Sister re-recorded their Stay Hungry album. Its like... who cares? Its just something thats better off never being heard. Just because we are bored and have nothing else doesn't mean it should be broken out.

Honestly, I understand where you are coming from. I just have a totally different mindset. One that is if it wasn't released, there was a reason, and the fact that I'm not gonna hear it and think anything is better than the original I have known for decades. So when I look at it like that, I'm like "I don't want to ruin the illusion of how perfect the album is by hearing it re-recorded again". Again, I do completely understand where you are coming from.

I don't consider the original a masterpiece and I want to hear the 1999 version for many reasons. Not just because it's mysterious.

I'm fascinated with the 1999 lineup. I consider Axl's voice to be at it's absolute best in 1999 judging by the few recordings we've heard. Robin Finck is my favorite guitar player and my mouth waters at the thought of hearing a studio album full of his guitarwork, especially for the songs we never got to hear him solo on live because Buckethead joined the band.

When Robin's half of the solo kicks in and the 1999 band takes over...fucking awesome.

I desperately want to hear it.

Edited by Broskirose

Not that it matters but it probably does have the same solos, just because Axl was thinking of changing them, doesn't mean he really did it but I'm sure they would have to be a bit different just because guitar players never sound the same. Slash is a hard one to get it on the button especially when it comes to his tones. Even if you go through 200 different Marshall Heads and 50 different Les Pauls doesn't mean your going to find Slash's tone.

One of the times Slash played Canter's Kibitz Room, he walked in with nothing picked up someone's brand new start that was plugged into some shit amp and he still sounded like Slash with all the same tones that you would expect to hear from him. Some guitar players are going to still sound the same no matter what.

Edited by recklessroad

Yeah, I don't get what people are saying. When I heard that Big Daddy version, I thought it was beyond awful and still do. Axl sounds dreadful. Maybe worse than he does now.

Also, the cherry on top of this Youtube is Volcano's horribly wrong fact at the very top lol.

Edited by classicguns4life