Rerecorded AFD

Gunner55

I have no problem with Axl's vocals. I did have a problem with the 2nd half of that Solo.

Agreed. Axl's voice sounds fine, it was probably better in the late 80's/UYI/even 2006 but not terrible here, but Robin just doesn't channel that feeling Slash has. And don't even get me started on his guitar tone...

• Like 1

After the fact Axl started insisting he only re-recorded AFD to rehearse the old songs with his new band. This never quite seemed believable toe. Especially when one of the tunes was licensed for big daddy. And he tried to license others I heard. To me, it seems like he had every hope to replace AFD. But it just didn't work

After the fact Axl started insisting he only re-recorded AFD to rehearse the old songs with his new band. This never quite seemed believable toe. Especially when one of the tunes was licensed for big daddy. And he tried to license others I heard. To me, it seems like he had every hope to replace AFD. But it just didn't work

Yeah, I also remember reading (I think on the Chinese Whispers section on GNR evolution) that he was gonna license the re-recorded Jungle to a movie...

Appetite is perfect as is. It is THE album with this unmistakable vibe and energy. The last thing I would want is a bunch of random people who have nothing to do with those songs recording them in a studio and licensing said recordings out instead of using the unstoppable originals.

There just isn't a good enough logical reason to justify doing that IMO

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

So does anybody understand the big daddy thing? How did Axl manage to get the nu version in without slash and duffs permission? Why just the second half of the song?

I was looking at ASCAP's site - perhaps this can shed a little light onto this:

Q: What Licenses Must I Get To Use A Song In My Film?

A: If you are using a pre-recorded song or another pre-recorded piece of music in your film, there are two rights you need to clear; that is to say, you need to get two different licenses to use the music.

• Synchronization License: This is the right to synchronize a song or a piece of music with your visual image. It must be obtained from the copyright owner of the music, which is usually the publisher.

• Master Use License: This is the right to reproduce a specific recording of a song in your film. You clear this right with the record label who owns the specific recording you would like to use; see the liner notes of the recording to find out which company this is. Alternatively, you can get contact information for record labels by calling ASCAP's Film/TV Department. You will be provided with a contact at the record label's Business Affairs Department.

So not that I am that knowledgeable in this subject but is it possible that since Axl is the owner of GNR and since the re-recording of Sweet Child plus the Live Era versions were released under Axl's "new" GNR legally speaking that he is able to control the publishing and therefore can license the songs to film soundtracks?

Edited by WhazUp

If that's true, I wonder why he didn't just use the nu version.

I also remember some rumblings about wttj for black hawk down. Axl was willing to license wttj, but it had to be the nu version. Slash and Duff intervened, I think. If that's how that went down, it just makes the big daddy scom even more confusing to me.

As I remember, it was the live Era version but Axl had Robin change out the last solo. Does anybody think I'm right? I know Slash was pretty pissed off with that.

Here ya go with one of Axl's main goals having succeeded!!

first half from SCOM/Big Daddy is supposed to be from Paris92 show. however they did speed it up a lot, it doesnt even sound naturally.

And Axl's vocals are weak aswell. that solo is laughable.

When Axl told me what he was doing, I told him it was a very bad idea and then I spent 4 hours on the phone telling him all the reasons why. In the end he still did it but I think Slash and Duff were able to stop it. I never heard it which is fine. It also may have had different guitar solos on it. I do remembering him telling me that he wanted to change the solos and I told him that he was right when he wanted Slash to play the Sympathy For The Devil solo note for note because thats they way people know it and it is part of the song and that if he changed the AFD ones it would be the same thing. I'm pretty sure it would have been a big disaster. I was glad when I first saw the new band in Dec of 2000 play the songs with the AFD solos. I guess Axl realized that keeping the old ones was the right way to go.

I told him that if he wanted to show off the new people, the way to do that was with the new music.

Marc Thank God they were able to stop that! That would be an absolute disaster and a big stain left on the GNR name...

Hadn't listened to that before... Wish I hadn't! I can't believe they released that, Axls vocals were pretty cool I have to admit, but from where Robin enters the final solo to the end is just horrible musically and I love nuGNR... absolutely not a fan of that though, I always felt that Robin butchered that solo live and now I can safely say he butchered it in the studio too. A solo like SCOM gives a little creative license but that's taking the piss!

I would never, ever buy a re-recorded Appetite. I would have much preferred if Axl had let Bucket or Richard handle the lead if he insisted on re-doing the outro... Robin is a pretty interesting guitar player who writes some cool songs etc. but he's not a tasteful improvisor.