Do you download music illegally?

TombRaider

Do you download music illegally?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do. Movies and TV too.

I spent most of my life getting fleeced by the record labels and movie studios. Replacing all my VHS tapes with DVDs and then Blu-Rays. Paying $15 for a CD that costs pennies to produce. Fuck 'em.

I support my favorite artists by buying their CDs and merchandise and especially by paying full price for their concert tickets. But I'm not giving any more of my money to those corporations.

• Like 1

Always hated CDs to be fair. Horrible plasticky pieces of crap in those horrible jewel cases that crack and break as soon as you look at them. Used to have loads but they've all disappeared with various house moves over the years. Vinyl I can see the value in owning because it's something actually substantial but CDs can kiss my arse. I actually don't download music very often because I'll use Spotify or some other streaming service but I'm done with physical media. I do download TV shows and movies from time to time but since getting access to the US Netflix site I can find most of the stuff I want to watch on there.

Edited by Dazey

Guest Len B'stard

I do. Movies and TV too.

I spent most of my life getting fleeced by the record labels and movie studios. Replacing all my VHS tapes with DVDs and then Blu-Rays. Paying $15 for a CD that costs pennies to produce. Fuck 'em.

I support my favorite artists by buying their CDs and merchandise and especially by paying full price for their concert tickets. But I'm not giving any more of my money to those corporations.

Spot on mate, fuck em. Anything that will contribute to the collapse of the record or movie industry as they stand, i'm all for it, fuck em. They've had more than my fuckin' fair share out of me for sub-standard product...and the only results of it was a greedy industry more into destroying the art form than enhancing it. $15 is still cheap mate, i remember sometimes hard to find albums would come out and i'd have to get the train to the HMV in Oxford street and THEN pay like...18.99, 20.99 for a fuckin' CD...and thats in pounds.

So yeah, bollocks to em, rob em all day long, cunts.

I remember first MP3 I downloaded off Napster: Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams. Also remember downloading Limp Bizkit's Rollin'...

Moved onto iMesh/Morpheus/KaZaa etc. A short while I torretned. Then started buying off iTunes. Now I pay a tenner a month for Spotify Premium, worth it for me just for the convenience.

I bought one CD in 2012, Max Richter's Vivaldi's Four Seasons Recomposed, and that was because I got it signed by him. If Daft Punk had released a decent special edition for Random Access Memories, or I had an LP player, I would have bought a hard copy of that. I think the only other CDs I remember buying are back in 2008 (the GNR discography, apart from Live Era, which I won't buy because it's rubbish).

Check out this documentary on Napster, it's great (and yes, you can find it on torrent sites...):

When I was 13 back in 2001, we had a work experience thing at school just before half-term. At the end of the week, my employer said he wanted me to stay on for another week and that he'd pay me. I got Dhs600 (about £100, a king's ransom at that age), and a Nokia HDR-1 MP3 player. 32MB... I could fit 9 songs on it! I remember I had Black Sabbath's Paranoid on it for most of the time because a) it was cool and b) it was short, so it wouldn't take up too much space. I was the first of my mates to have an MP3 player.

6 months later a friend of mine got a 512MB MP3 player. I thought that was ridiculous, who would ever need that much music...

Now I have a 64GB iPhone and I hear people complain they can't fit all their music on 160GB iPods (???!!!).

I have about 750 albums on my computer, somewhere between 500 and 550 those I own legally.

So that teaches us I still need to buy about 150 to 200 of them. Working my way there though!

The rest is stuff I still need to check out. If I like it I'll put it on my to-buy list. If I don't I'll delete it.

Going to buy the new Bob Dylan box set soon. That'll improve the numbers too. ;)

Edited by username

I stream 90% of what I listen to through legal services like Spotify (I pay the monthly fee for premium, it's worth it). Other times I use Pandora, Soundcloud or the Hype Machine.

For bands like AC/DC, Zeppelin, etc that don't offer their music on those services, I download the albums illegally and load them on my phone. I own most of their albums on CD anyway.

There's a lot less of a need to download music illegally these days with so many legal ways to access music on demand. It's more convenient to stream an album than download it IMO.

I download music illegally and I download or stream films and TV series all the time. I haven't bought a CD in years (last one was probably Bounce by Bon Jovi). Culture shouldn't be restricted to those who have more money and in that aspect Internet was a bless. I know it's a business and I know it's wrong but I don't really care.

...unless the OP is from the government in which case I wasn't serious.

Culture shouldn't be restricted to those who have more money and in that aspect Internet was a bless.

Despite being a downloading motherfucker myself to some extent (lol, just joking RIAA, we cool) I think that's a bit too easy isn't it? "I have less money but I have the right to this just the same". That attitude would work if this "culture" you speak of was globally funded and therefor the artist would get eat food and pay bills regardless of whether you pay for your "culture". But reality isn't like that. Reality isn't like that at all though. I think it's a bit shortsighted what you're saying.
  • Like 1

Culture shouldn't be restricted to those who have more money and in that aspect Internet was a bless.

Despite being a downloading motherfucker myself to some extent (lol, just joking RIAA, we cool) I think that's a bit too easy isn't it? "I have less money but I have the right to this just the same". That attitude would work if this "culture" you speak of was globally funded and therefor the artist would get eat food and pay bills regardless of whether you pay for your "culture". But reality isn't like that. Reality isn't like that at all though. I think it's a bit shortsighted what you're saying.

Yes, I know what you mean but it was the communist in me talking in there. I honestly think culture should be kind of a "human right". It's one of the foundations of any good society and it's one of the best ways to achieve some equality... but the authors have their rights too and they deserve their money for their work as anybody else. I said I know it's wrong, it was more a general thought.