Do you download music illegally?

TombRaider

Do you download music illegally?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

the musicians and the record companies steal from the consumer when they charge 15 dollars for a garbage cd that you cannot bring back as well.

it goes both ways, a lot of the downloading is due to the musicians and the record companies own doing.

Sorry mate but that is just a rationalization to make you feel o.k. about stealing.....the record company and musician did not steal anything from you as nobody is forcing you to buy a CD before you get to hear clips these days. Many musicians put clips on their websites, Amazon has clips for a lot of albums and so does youtube. They offered a product and you chose to buy it. There is no guarantee you are going to like the music.

But even if you could not hear it before hand no one is forcing you to spend $15 on a CD....it is not something you need to live it is a luxury.......So by your logic if I go to a restaurant and order something I have never tried before and don't like the entree's taste I should walk out on the check? or maybe I should steal the silver ware to make up for it?...........again anyway you spin it your still stealing when you illegally download.

And if you think it is a victimless crime, because there is no physical product stolen, think again as the artists loses money and record companies lay off innocent people when they lose money......

the music artist and the record companies did it to themselves. i buy my music so i do not have justify anything. the music companies ran from the new technology of the future, they instead of adapting decided to stand their ground, continue to rip people off, and gouge people for all they could. instead of using the internet as a new tool to offer music at a fair cheaper price, they turned the downloaders who were still buying the music, who were still going to concerts, who were still buying the merchandise into the enemy.

after years of fighting and turning potential buyers into enemies what finally happend? bands started releasing name your own price albums, bands started putting songs on youtube, 99 cent song downloads, spotify, releasing free albums on websites etc. the labels took the music listener for granted, thought they could continue releasing a shitty product(which their is 0 recourse from recouping money from) at outrageous prices and people would continue to lap it up, but they didnt,

true no one is forcing you to buy the music, as someone doesnt force you to buy a car. yet in states you have lemon laws for when someone sells you a piece of crap so you can get your money back. go out to eat and a couple of bites into your steak and it is garbage, you can get your money back.

the musicians and the record companies steal from the consumer when they charge 15 dollars for a garbage cd that you cannot bring back as well.

it goes both ways, a lot of the downloading is due to the musicians and the record companies own doing.

Sorry mate but that is just a rationalization to make you feel o.k. about stealing.....the record company and musician did not steal anything from you as nobody is forcing you to buy a CD before you get to hear clips these days. Many musicians put clips on their websites, Amazon has clips for a lot of albums and so does youtube. They offered a product and you chose to buy it. There is no guarantee you are going to like the music.

But even if you could not hear it before hand no one is forcing you to spend $15 on a CD....it is not something you need to live it is a luxury.......So by your logic if I go to a restaurant and order something I have never tried before and don't like the entree's taste I should walk out on the check? or maybe I should steal the silver ware to make up for it?...........again anyway you spin it your still stealing when you illegally download.

And if you think it is a victimless crime, because there is no physical product stolen, think again as the artists loses money and record companies lay off innocent people when they lose money......

the music artist and the record companies did it to themselves. i buy my music so i do not have justify anything. the music companies ran from the new technology of the future, they instead of adapting decided to stand their ground, continue to rip people off, and gouge people for all they could. instead of using the internet as a new tool to offer music at a fair cheaper price, they turned the downloaders who were still buying the music, who were still going to concerts, who were still buying the merchandise into the enemy.

after years of fighting and turning potential buyers into enemies what finally happend? bands started releasing name your own price albums, bands started putting songs on youtube, 99 cent song downloads, spotify, releasing free albums on websites etc. the labels took the music listener for granted, thought they could continue releasing a shitty product(which their is 0 recourse from recouping money from) at outrageous prices and people would continue to lap it up, but they didnt,

true no one is forcing you to buy the music, as someone doesnt force you to buy a car. yet in states you have lemon laws for when someone sells you a piece of crap so you can get your money back. go out to eat and a couple of bites into your steak and it is garbage, you can get your money back.

You still don't get it the record companies are not ripping you off mate as you don't have to buy their music....if you don't like the prices they charge you simply don't buy the product..... and yes bands started looking for other ways to sell their music becasue people were outright stealing it so they had to get creative to try to get people to buy some of it...

Another analogy for you....I happen to love wine...I have tried wine that I thought was fantastic but was grossly overpriced so you know what I did? I didn't steal it I simply did not buy........

And the lemon law is only for defective autos just like if you get a CD or LP that skips you can go to the store and return it but you can't just return a car because you don't like it................

You and others seem to think that because you don't like the record companies business practices that it gives you some right to steal their product because you want it but don't want to pay the asking price. It is just trying to justify in your own mind that you are not really stealing because you think the record companies owe you something for some strange reason....

Again you cannot come up with a spin that makes illegal downloading anything except stealing..........

You still don't get it the record companies are not ripping you off mate as you don't have to buy their music....if you don't like the prices they charge you simply don't buy the product..... and yes bands started looking for other ways to sell their music becasue people were outright stealing it so they had to get creative to try to get people to buy some of it...

Another analogy for you....I happen to love wine...I have tried wine that I thought was fantastic but was grossly overpriced so you know what I did? I didn't steal it I simply did not buy........

And the lemon law is only for defective autos just like if you get a CD or LP that skips you can go to the store and return it but you can't just return a car because you don't like it................

You and others seem to think that because you don't like the record companies business practices that it gives you some right to steal their product because you want it but don't want to pay the asking price. It is just trying to justify in your own mind that you are not really stealing because you think the record companies owe you something for some strange reason....

Again you cannot come up with a spin that makes illegal downloading anything except stealing..........

curious to wonder if you believe in that line for everything you technically do not need.

we have had this debate a million times, once again if i buy my music i am not stealing anything. if i want to share what i paid for that is my business, just as if i buy a pizza and share it with 2 or 3 of my friends.

as for the last line, you do not know me so stop pretending you do.

curious to wonder if you believe in that line for everything you technically do not need.

we have had this debate a million times, once again if i buy my music i am not stealing anything. if i want to share what i paid for that is my business, just as if i buy a pizza and share it with 2 or 3 of my friends.

as for the last line, you do not know me so stop pretending you do.

Of course I believe that Bran because it is logical...if we were talking about some medicene people needed to save their life and the drug company was charging $10,000 a pill for something that cost a nickel to make becsue they have a patent for it then you have an argument that the public is getting ripped off and have a right to be outraged but when it comes to luxury items I firmly believe the seller has the right to charge what they want and if you or I don't like the price we don't have to buy it but we don't have the right to steal it if we don't like the price........

I was not going to go to the Stones shows in Boston this year because they were charging prices I felt were outrageous and a ripoff but they decided to release $85 tickets which I thought were more reasonable so I ended up scoring some and went. At no time did I think of trying to sneak into the show becsue I thought the ticket prices were ripoffs.........I may not have liked the prices but the Stones have the right to charge what they feel they can get so I would have been perfectly fine not going if I had not scored $85 tickets.......

I would love to drink Chateau Latour every night but since I can't afford it I don't buy it and drink something cheaper. I don't try to steal it becasue I think it is overpriced..........

Sharing a pizza is not the same as sharing music as when you buy a pizza it is a finite amount of food so the Pizza parlor does not lose money on the deal if you share it but when you make a copy of a CD the record company and the artist loses money becasue you gave away an illegal copy.........you can't copy a pizza and you can't cut up a CD to share with someone so the analogy is moot.........

As far as judging you I can only respond to the argument you present here defending illegal downloading. Whether you do it or not is immaterial as you are trying to defend a practise which is clearly illegal and that is all I was responding to............

Don't take so personally as I don't think it makes someone a bad person to think illegal downloading is o.k. I just don't understand how people don't see this as stealing.........

Edited by classicrawker

I'm not taking sides here cuz I agree with both of you in many ways but unless you can buy one pizza and turn it into three for free before giving a whole pizza each to two of your friends that's bollocks! :)
  • Like 1

I'm not taking sides here cuz I agree with both of you in many ways but unless you can buy one pizza and turn it into three for free before giving a whole pizza each to two of your friends that's bollocks! :)

Well done.........You did a much better job explaining that then I did....................... :lol:

Edited by classicrawker

I thought overcharging me for a CD was stealing too.

not just that but acting shocked when they put turd on the cds outside of one song, and being totally shocked when people stop buying your shitty product just for the one song :lol:

Edited by bran

it isnt though, if i buy and upload an album, it is my album in just digital form. i can take my cd rip the cd to my computer and have all the individual files and songs on my pc. if i do this am i stealing the music i already bought? no it isnt, im sharing my cd, just with the increase in technology it is done in a different way than it used to.

the same record labels and companies bitched and complained about people making mixed tapes, or recording a song off the radio.

Edited by bran

And s far as movies go you do realize that if enough people download without paying and movie studios stop making a profit they will stop making big budget movies we all love to discuss here right?

I think we'd get more interesting movies if that were to happen. Do we really need more superhero movies? I know that I wouldn't complain if they quit making them.

I know it is, thats whats so good about it. Honestly, i've reached a point where i actually don't really even care about music like i used to, not even really into it, especially new music, literally nothing, no new band has come out in over a decade where i stopped and went 'fuck me, thats brilliant', nothing i see in popular culture or popular music makes me stand up and take notice.

I've felt the same way for a long time.

I download music illegally and I download or stream films and TV series all the time. I haven't bought a CD in years (last one was probably Bounce by Bon Jovi). Culture shouldn't be restricted to those who have more money and in that aspect Internet was a bless. I know it's a business and I know it's wrong but I don't really care.

...unless the OP is from the government in which case I wasn't serious.

The common man has plenty of access to free culture without having to make musical recordings free of charge.

Having said that though I think the cost of physical media is somewhat rational as there is a cost in producing the physical object. The rates being charged for a downloaded file though is pretty ridiculous. In fact I can sometimes buy the actual CD cheaper than I can buy off iTunes. That's just wrong but the market responds accordingly by choosing to access the product in other ways and in this case, illegally.

I also have little sympathy for an industry that finds itself disadvantaged by the development of new technology or changed production processes. It happens all the time across many industries. That's the nature of evolution and they, like everyone else, just has to adapt or mutate into another form if it wants to survive. Big deal. :shrugs:

I download music illegally and I download or stream films and TV series all the time. I haven't bought a CD in years (last one was probably Bounce by Bon Jovi). Culture shouldn't be restricted to those who have more money and in that aspect Internet was a bless. I know it's a business and I know it's wrong but I don't really care.

...unless the OP is from the government in which case I wasn't serious.

The common man has plenty of access to free culture without having to make musical recordings free of charge.

Having said that though I think the cost of physical media is somewhat rational as there is a cost in producing the physical object. The rates being charged for a downloaded file though is pretty ridiculous. In fact I can sometimes buy the actual CD cheaper than I can buy off iTunes. That's just wrong but the market responds accordingly by choosing to access the product in other ways and in this case, illegally.

I also have little sympathy for an industry that finds itself disadvantaged by the development of new technology or changed production processes. It happens all the time across many industries. That's the nature of evolution and they, like everyone else, just has to adapt or mutate into another form if it wants to survive. Big deal. :shrugs:

also a survey was done in england a few years back that showed people who admit to downloading music, spend more money buying music than people who say the do not download......

Edited by bran

And s far as movies go you do realize that if enough people download without paying and movie studios stop making a profit they will stop making big budget movies we all love to discuss here right?

I think we'd get more interesting movies if that were to happen. Do we really need more superhero movies? I know that I wouldn't complain if they quit making them.

Maybe, but seeing as these big-budget movies are what most people go to the cinema for these days because of the explosions and the 3D and the explosions in 3D, we might get more cack as studios are less willing to take risks and churn out same crap that people seem to love to pay money for.

I download, but I will freely admit that it's morally wrong and there is no moral justification for it.

As for the overpricing argument: if I were selling something of my own, I would like to have the right to charge whatever the fuck I wanted for it. If you're not ok with it, go to somebody else, but don't tell me you have the right to my product or that I'm ripping you off.

Guest Len B'stard

As for the overpricing argument: if I were selling something of my own, I would like to have the right to charge whatever the fuck I wanted for it. If you're not ok with it, go to somebody else, but don't tell me you have the right to my product or that I'm ripping you off.

Why can you not be told that you are ripping people off if you charge too much for a product? Because you have the liberty to charge what you like? Well you do but that don't mean no one else has a right to look at a thing and judge it's value.

I download, but I will freely admit that it's morally wrong and there is no moral justification for it.

no one is saying you dont have the right to charge what you want, what people are saying is do not cry about it when people stop buying your over priced crap and look elsewhere.

the people went elsewhere, instead of being ready to adapt the industry turned their fingers to the downloaders and made them the enemy(once again downloaders buy music more than non downloaders) if the record company adapted, and started the 99 cent song downloads when the napster shit storm hit, the industry would not be in this situation.

instead they dug their heels in and expected people to spend 15+ dollars on a cd that has 1 or 2 good songs and a shit load junk tracks.

Guest Len B'stard

Basically a bunch of singing poofters made a few quid for 50 odd years while the going was good and the hustle was new, now nobody fuckin' cares anymore cuz they can just get their music for free, you had a good blag goin' and now it's over, accept it music industry and wanker rockstars ;) The whole thing is a fucking con.

Edited by sugaraylen

Why can you not be told that you are ripping people off if you charge too much for a product? Because you have the liberty to charge what you like? Well you do but that don't mean no one else has a right to look at a thing and judge it's value.

Call it bullshit, fine, you have every right to do that, call it overpriced, fair enough. But don't tell me you have the moral right to steal a product because you're not ok with the price.

no one is saying you dont have the right to charge what you want, what people are saying is do not cry about it when people stop buying your over priced crap and look elsewhere.

the people went elsewhere, instead of being ready to adapt the industry turned their fingers to the downloaders and made them the enemy(once again downloaders buy music more than non downloaders) if the record company adapted, and started the 99 cent song downloads when the napster shit storm hit, the industry would not be in this situation.

instead they dug their heels in and expected people to spend 15+ dollars on a cd that has 1 or 2 good songs and a shit load junk tracks.

People did no look elsewhere! They wanted the exact same products, they still wanted the music, but they STOLE it instead.

What bothers me is that you guys have the nerve to say that it's right. You steal stuff, steal someone else's money but you're the ones who are high and mighty. So, they're stupidly conservative, so they're greedy, so they sell crap music, it's still THEIR FUCKING MONEY, still THEIR fucking property and you're still STEALING it.

Guest Len B'stard
Call it bullshit, fine, you have every right to do that, call it overpriced, fair enough. But don't tell me you have the moral right to steal a product because you're not ok with the price.

Morality has nothing to do with it.

People did no look elsewhere! They wanted the exact same products, they still wanted the music, but they STOLE it instead.

Elsewhere as in other means to get what they want.

What bothers me is that you guys have the nerve to say that it's right. You steal stuff, steal someone else's money but you're the ones who are high and mighty.

If you want something and it's ridiculously over-priced by way of greedy people conspiring to make it so for their own profiteering...so you decide to steal it instead, to me, thats fair game. You talk about the morality (or immorality) of stealing...but there's no immorality in selling something for an over-inflated price?

So, they're stupidly conservative, so they're greedy, so they sell crap music, it's still THEIR FUCKING MONEY, still THEIR fucking property and you're still STEALING it.

Just as the money that people were ripped off for was their money and they were over-charged bullshit amounts for what they got, so now they wise up and get it by other means, other immoral means, immoral like the way over-charging is immoral and the industry diminishes gradually and shrinks. And who cast the first stone? Over-charging 'artists'.

And this whole 'oh well you don't have to buy it, nobodys putting a gun to your head' well people want it, they're passionate about it, they love it, thats why they paid the over-priced rates...but that doesn't mean they're stupid, that doesn't mean that they don't know that there are people using the fact that certain people are passionate about music to get away with something like over-charging, so they took it and took it and took it and now they ain't takin' it anymore and it's like 'you thieves!'.

The only difference between our thieving and theirs is we got the balls to admit we're fuckin' tea-leafs, them lot just stitch you up. Fuck em.

Edited by sugaraylen

We've all fractured the occasional law. I used to tape people's cds. I did eventually get enough money to buy In utero on cd but I had it on tape for ages. I don't think it's the obsessive that have casue them to lose money. It's the regular guys who used to buy cds like they now buy apps. Once a month people get a cd, a luxury. They don't spend that money on that anymore. Maybe blu rays or videogames have taken over. the cd era is over. Everyone's got Thriller and AFD or whatever.

I know it is, thats whats so good about it. Honestly, i've reached a point where i actually don't really even care about music like i used to, not even really into it, especially new music, literally nothing, no new band has come out in over a decade where i stopped and went 'fuck me, thats brilliant', nothing i see in popular culture or popular music makes me stand up and take notice.

Agreed. I don't know if it will happen, but music needs a serious awakening.

Guest Len B'stard

Agreed. I don't know if it will happen, but music needs a serious awakening.

Perhaps its just had it's time as the go-to place for youth to express themselves. Cuz lets face it, what we call music is actually pop music, youth orientated pop music. Perhaps the reason it's had it's time and it's gone down shits creek like it has is disillusionment towards the whole enterprise, a disillusion that could be said to be the result of the whole corporate record companies being fundamentally corrupt.

I mean lets face it, they've fucked themselves and they've fucked themselves good, their little annual award soirees are getting more and more moribund and sad and depressing.

Pop music came to the prominence because, basically, at the heart of it, a lot of kids didn't have fuck all to do and they claimed this thing to assert their identity. Because prior to the pop music explosion from the 50s kids didn't really have...a culture of their own, it was them asserting their identity. Perhaps that identity is pretty well established now and, by virtue of that, pop music has lost it's lustre.

It's a tired old rigmarole, isn't it really? There's nothing fascinating about the way they unfold anymore, the great debut album, the sophmore jinx, the everything but the kitchen sink self indulgent third effort, the snotty kids giving confrontational interviews and one words answers, acting all aloof and detached, puking outside some nightclub, internal wranglings, splits, reformations, it is like watching the same episode of a soap over and over and over ad-infinitum.

Perhaps it's just not interesting anymore?

• Like 1