Do you download music illegally?

TombRaider

Do you download music illegally?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I never said you can't feel the prices of CD's are a ripoff only that it does not justify you stealing the content by downloading. In the past if you thought something was a ripoff before you even bought it why didn't you just walk away and not buy it?.....I am guessing it was because before downloading you had no easy way to steal the material...........

Yes but you were corroborating and agreeing with the post of someone who was sa6 6ying that they fail to see where the rip off is, hence my explaining. As far as why not walk away and not buy it, well because i wanted it and that was the only place to get it and i wanted it that bad that i was willing to take a hit of however much it was overpriced by for the sake of having John Lydons or Dr Dre's or whoevers album. But yeah, if I could've gotten em for free I probably would have.

I think the price of some wines is a ripoff so you know what? I don't buy them but I sure as hell don't try to steal them because I don't like the price.................

Musical artists are a little more unique than types of wine though, aren't they? i mean you can get a cheap bottle of red that, although it's not the same it's close enough to serve its purpose. The same doesn't really work when EVERY album is over-priced, does it?

So IMHO you are not getting ripped off because you chose to buy the CD despite feeling it was a ripoff before you even bought it but had no other easy way to get the material so you bit the bullet and paid the price. It was not liked you were mislead by some false promise. You knew the price and what you were buying, you felt the CD was a ripoff, yet you still made the decision to buy it. So nobody is ripping you off in that case as you were not mislead.........

The presumption here being that there has to be a degree of misleading going on for something to be a rip off. Which is just wrong, look up the meaning of the phrase, you don't have to be ignorant to something being a rip off for it to be a rip off, thats ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding of what the term means. Basically you're saying that ignorance to the fact something is a rip off is what makes it a rip off when it's not, it's a rip off when you pay an unfair amount for a product, whether you know it or not is immaterial, where did you get this idea from?

We are going around in circles mate.....

But I think maybe you are the one who does not know what the term means ..........

Merriam -Webster Dictionary definition

RIP OFF

a : rob; also : cheat, defraud

b : steal

: to copy or imitate blatantly or unscrupulously

or Webster New World

• the act or an instance of stealing, cheating, exploiting, misrepresenting, etc.
  • a product that is overpriced, esp. one that is inferior or an imitation

When you bought the CD's you were not robbed ,cheated, defrauded, exploited you knowingly bought something where you knew what you were getting. The Cd was not an imitation and record company gave you exactly what they advertised. You could have walked away and not bought the CD's but as you stated it was something you wanted so agreed to pay the price so they did not rip you off.............You might feel the price is a rip off but you got what you paid for........

no matter how you define it feeling ripped off does not give you the right to steal product any way you want to spin it...........

Edited by classicrawker

Classicrawker - do you have any bootleg albums?

Classicrawker - my question still stands, if you'd care to answer it.

We are not talking about bootlegs Pappy we are talking about official releases that the record companies and artists lose money over when illegally downloaded so lets stay on topic and not deflect.

So on topic can you find any logical defense for illegally downloading and stealing from the record company and the artist?

We are not talking about bootlegs Pappy we are talking about official releases that the record companies and artists lose money over when illegally downloaded so lets stay on topic and not deflect.

So on topic can you find any logical defense for illegally downloading and stealing from the record company and the artist?

Can I take that as an admission that you have bootlegs then?

As for the topic - I don't think that because a person doesn't like the price or quality of something that they should steal it. That being said, piracy of films and music is not theft in the traditional sense.

While on the subject of bootlegs - I love the thing that bands like The Black Crowes and Metallica do. They just record it from the soundboard and offer it on their website for a few bucks. I've bought recordings of the shows I went to and absolutely loved it! I'd much rather pay 5 or 10 euro's for that than download a mediocre quality bootleg any day. I'd love it if more bands did things like that! It seems like easy money for them too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Len B'stard

:lol:

And you've been moralising with me ALL this time?!?!?! :rofl-lol:

I love classicrawkers views towards illegal downloading, I can't stand it either.

I buy all my music either on iTunes or physical copy although I prefer the latter. I'll buy the single on iTunes before the album is out then buy a physical copy upon its release. Basically the way I see it, if a band can spend years writing and recording an album then spending a measly $20 (which isn't much) is completely fine with me.

I love classicrawkers views towards illegal downloading, I can't stand it either.

I like his views on bootlegs :lol:

I've got a ton of bootlegs as well, they're not official releases though so bands arent losing money by it. I had a copy of Live At River Plate by AC/DC about a year or so before they released it on CD. As soon as it came out, I deleted my previous version and bought the CD. I'd do the same thing with any other bootlegs if they were to be officially released too.

Guest Len B'stard

I've got a ton of bootlegs as well, they're not official releases though so bands arent losing money by it. I had a copy of Live At River Plate by AC/DC about a year or so before they released it on CD. As soon as it came out, I deleted my previous version and bought the CD. I'd do the same thing with any other bootlegs if they were to be officially released too.

Why do you think bootlegs are illegal Stoner?

I don't think they're illegal...

What? I don't. I think you misread.

I used to download and buy CD's. Now I just have my spotify account. I still buy some CD's of bands I really like. Like "Last Patrol" from Monster Magnet for example. I didn't even open it, though. Other bands I support by buying some merchandise or so.

Guest Len B'stard

Are you quite sure about that?

What? I don't.

You don't think they're illegal?

Guest Len B'stard

Well the same could be said for illegal downloading from the internet, Liam Gallagher for example said he has no problem with it. You appear to be skirting around answering a very simple and very direct question.

Edited by sugaraylen

I don't skirt around anything. It depends on what the artist says. If bootlegs are allowed and condoned by the artist, I don' think they are illegal if the bootlegger doesn't earn money with it. Bootlegging something and then selling it is illegal. Downloading albums by an artist is illegal.

What? I don't.

We are not talking about bootlegs here we are talking about stealing official releases here mate and you have yet to defend your position on why it is acceptable.

I am sure you would love to deflect by changing the subject but stay on topic....if you want to discuss the morality of bootlegs start another thread and I am happy to give my views........

Guest Len B'stard

What? I don't.

We are not talking about bootlegs here we are talking about stealing official releases here mate and you have yet to defend your position on why it is acceptable.

I am sure you would love to deflect by changing the subject but stay on topic....if you want to discuss the morality of bootlegs start another thread and I am happy to give my views........

I haven't deflected though, i have been bold and brazen about my opinions on downloading, very bold and have in no uncertain terms stated again and again and again that I have no qualms about it. Is it still unclear to you? Have a read back, i was talking to you in half of those posts, was anything i said about my feelings on the topic at all unclear? If anything it's you attempting to deflect and avoid the glaring parrallel and answer a simple question and i think you and i and anybody reading this can see full well why.

Why can't you just answer the question, you can't say it's not relevant because the topic and the subject of discussion is ostensibly stealing from artists. Why can't you answer the question?

I've yet to defend my position, really?!?! :lol: I think you'll find i'm the person thats put forward more defence of my position than ANYBODY else in this thread but i could condense it into one simple sentence for you:

I don't care if it's stealing because i consider the previous ripping off of the consumer by the artists and record companies as justification, whether you agree with that or not is up to you but it's MY defence of my position, it's how i feel and i've stated and stated and re-stated that.

Now you defend yours, bearing in mind your previous assertions about the immortality of illegally procuring recordings of artists, away you go.

I don't skirt around anything. It depends on what the artist says. If bootlegs are allowed and condoned by the artist, I don' think they are illegal if the bootlegger doesn't earn money with it. Bootlegging something and then selling it is illegal. Downloading albums by an artist is illegal.

It's still illegal though isn't it? Which is the crux of the argument, it doesn't matter if the artist says its OK, it's not only the artist you are stealing from, it's record companies that have contracts with these artists to promote their work etc

Edited by sugaraylen