SLASH On Possibility Of GUNS N' ROSES Reunion: 'If It Happens One Day, It Happens'

Guest NGOG

And the thing about the extended lineup on ph 335 I think.The paragraph from that page that was posted,Slash didn't say in that paragraph,that the extended lineup joined them at the show.I haven't read the book yet,so if I am taking it out of context,post what was written before or after that paragraph.Because what was posted,Slash nowhere in that paragraph said the extended lineup joined them at that show!

I think its a bit disingenuous to pretend like theres a chance of a reunion. And to put it like that. If Slash wants a reunion. Call Izzy, get Steven, Duff and write the songs together. If they can do amazing stuff then Axl can see it that its not a waste of time. Do the work first. AFD 2, go!

but dont use the chance of a reunion to fuel the solo career.

I cant believe that someone is stupid, retarded and moronic enough to lie about something that's out there for several years as everybody and their moms know what happened at that 91 gig. This is beyond stupid, he's probably mentally ill for that.

Or it could just be how he remembered something from all those years ago. Guessing he didn't view the footage afterwards. Obviously, it didn't go down exactly like that, but it's possible he did have the convo with Doug backstage afterwards. Literally everything else he posted was just minor little mistakes that Slash would gain nothing from lying about.

Who's gonna think, "you married Renee in 1992

Instead of 1991? Fuck I always knew Axl was the asshole!!". Seriously :lol:

Yes, this is the only real lie apart from where he was born, but that's not a lie that will make him look cool or anything like that.

But there's no way in the world he would remember the story as he told instead of lying. He lied to make himself look the good boy - and of course he got to know that the proshot footage was out there - but still, he lied for the sake of lying. That's sick. He probably asked if Axl was coming back, he probably had the convo with Doug, etc. But he wasn't on stage, he left the stage and even acted like an asshole following Axl "We're out of here". He didn't care back then and now he's pretending he does. I'm not his friend nor his lie will ever affect me, so I don't care either way. But that was extremely embarrassing.

Well, maybe he truly didn't know that the footage was out there, which I doubt, but if that's the case I don't blame him as much.

Holy cow Volcano. We all give you a bad time for your obsession with Axl and your weird hatred for Slash, but man, you really can't be serious with this list. The majority of those things are clearly not a case of somebody lying, and are just somebody forgetting or mixing up simple dates/times for periods that happened sometimes 30 years earlier.

If this is your "proof" that Slash is a liar, than every person who has ever lived in the history of the world is a liar.

So an admitted drug addict alcoholic who toured the world and partied like an animal put the 7th instead of 17th on a date that happen in 1992............and was thirty minutes off on what time 9/11 happened.........and he misspelled a guy's last name.................seriously dude?

We know you do a lot of trolling and make a lot of ridiculous statements just to make people laugh, but this list is just pushing it way past the ridiculous level. Oh, Slash spelled the name of the Cinderella drummer wrong and he was a week off on a date from 1992 - what a f*cking liar this guy is.

There is plenty of things to bash Slash about. Posting idiotic stuff like this just makes you guys look silly.

I agree with most of that, the majority of those "lies" aren't really an issue. They are minor inaccuracies and mostly irrelevant.

Though you have to admit Slash's account of the St Louis incident is flawed:

When he jumped down, it was great, we kept playing that suspenseful riff that starts off "Rocket Queen," and I thought the whole moment was killer. When Axl got back onstage, everything felt triumphant for a second... then he grabbed the mike, said something like, "Because of the bullshit security, we're going home," slammed the mike down, and walked offstage.

The band kept going. We'd gotten good at improvising to fill dead space - drum solos, guitar solos jams - we had a bag of tricks to keep things moving whenever Axl made a sudden exit. We kept jamming, and I went over to the side of the stage.

"Where is he? I asked Doug.

He looked at me with a pained expression. "He's not coming back."

"What do you mean he's not coming back?" I shouted, still playing the riff.

"There is no way he is coming back," Doug said. "There is nothing I can do."

We were about ninety minutes into our set, which was our minimum contractually, but the plan was to play a two-hour ser and the crowd wasn't close to satisfied. They knew there was a lot more left. I would have done anything to get Axl back onstage at that point.

"Ask him again!" I yelled. "Find out if he's really not going to." I should have known by Doug's expression that there was no use.

Once it was final, we had no choice: the band put down our gear, and it was like pulling the plug on the stereo - the song just ended on a question mark. That entire arena sat there expecting something to happen, but instead we walked offstage without a word."

This account really wavers a long way from what really happened. After Axl's tantrum, the video shows Slash walking up to the mic, saying "We're out of here"... then he gives the audience a gesture. If I had to pick between that "gesture" being him throwing a pick or him flipping the bird, I think I know what I'd put my money on(2.08):

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Slash for the St Louis incident or suggesting he had any role in it. It's just that his retelling of the event is just skewed ever so slightly to put him in a more favorable light. I don't think you can really explain the differences in events away with foggy memory, there's no way he's never seen that video.

This is the sort of thing I believe Axl is referring to when he accuses Slash of lying. A pattern of small deviations in his retelling of events that put him in a more positive light. Even now in the Larry King interview, I can't help but feel like Slash gets an easy win with his reunion comments. He knows it will never happen, so he can safely appear neutral/open and Axl then looks like the bad guy (as always). Where was Axl at the Hall of Fame? "I don't know". Surely he read Axl's letter. He does know... but it's easier to be neutral. He was there, Axl wasn't. :shrugs:

Not saying Slash is in the wrong for doing this, but I tend to believe it's a major reason why Axl hates him so much. If you go back and watch the interview from this perspective, it takes on a slightly different tone.

• Like 2

Axl doesn't talk about it, he writes about it, or has other people write it for him. Man the fuck up and speak. The guy who could rant about his own mother and unborn children on stage in front of thousands now doesn't have the guts to be questioned face to face. How sad.

Yeah because seeing a 51 year old bloke carrying on like a spoilt teenager is what we all want. I loved the rants when Axl was in his 20's and 30's, but it would look pretty pathetic seeing it now.

Holy cow Volcano. We all give you a bad time for your obsession with Axl and your weird hatred for Slash, but man, you really can't be serious with this list. The majority of those things are clearly not a case of somebody lying, and are just somebody forgetting or mixing up simple dates/times for periods that happened sometimes 30 years earlier.

If this is your "proof" that Slash is a liar, than every person who has ever lived in the history of the world is a liar.

So an admitted drug addict alcoholic who toured the world and partied like an animal put the 7th instead of 17th on a date that happen in 1992............and was thirty minutes off on what time 9/11 happened.........and he misspelled a guy's last name.................seriously dude?

We know you do a lot of trolling and make a lot of ridiculous statements just to make people laugh, but this list is just pushing it way past the ridiculous level. Oh, Slash spelled the name of the Cinderella drummer wrong and he was a week off on a date from 1992 - what a f*cking liar this guy is.

There is plenty of things to bash Slash about. Posting idiotic stuff like this just makes you guys look silly.

I agree with most of that, the majority of those "lies" aren't really an issue. They are minor inaccuracies and mostly irrelevant.

When he jumped down, it was great, we kept playing that suspenseful riff that starts off "Rocket Queen," and I thought the whole moment was killer. When Axl got back onstage, everything felt triumphant for a second... then he grabbed the mike, said something like, "Because of the bullshit security, we're going home," slammed the mike down, and walked offstage.The band kept going. We'd gotten good at improvising to fill dead space - drum solos, guitar solos jams - we had a bag of tricks to keep things moving whenever Axl made a sudden exit. We kept jamming, and I went over to the side of the stage."Where is he? I asked Doug.He looked at me with a pained expression. "He's not coming back.""What do you mean he's not coming back?" I shouted, still playing the riff."There is no way he is coming back," Doug said. "There is nothing I can do."We were about ninety minutes into our set, which was our minimum contractually, but the plan was to play a two-hour ser and the crowd wasn't close to satisfied. They knew there was a lot more left. I would have done anything to get Axl back onstage at that point."Ask him again!" I yelled. "Find out if he's really not going to." I should have known by Doug's expression that there was no use.Once it was final, we had no choice: the band put down our gear, and it was like pulling the plug on the stereo - the song just ended on a question mark. That entire arena sat there expecting something to happen, but instead we walked offstage without a word."

This account really wavers a long way from what really happened. After Axl's tantrum, the video shows Slash walking up to the mic, saying "We're out of here"... then he gives the audience a gesture. If I had to pick between that "gesture" being him throwing a pick or him flipping the bird, I think I know what I'd put my money on(2.08):

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Slash for the St Louis incident or suggesting he had any role in it. It's just that his retelling of the event is just skewed ever so slightly to put him in a more favorable light. I don't think you can really explain the differences in events away with foggy memory, there's no way he's never seen that video.

This is the sort of thing I believe Axl is referring to when he accuses Slash of lying. A pattern of small deviations in his retelling of events that put him in a more positive light. Even now in the Larry King interview, I can't help but feel like Slash gets an easy win with his reunion comments. He knows it will never happen, so he can safely appear neutral/open and Axl then looks like the bad guy (as always). Where was Axl at the Hall of Fame? "I don't know". Surely he read Axl's letter. He does know... but it's easier to be neutral. He was there, Axl wasn't. :shrugs:

Not saying Slash is in the wrong for doing this, but I tend to believe it's a major reason why Axl hates him so much. If you go back and watch the interview from this perspective, it takes on a slightly different tone.

I don't know. I really think the very reason the video was so open and out there means he may have not watched it in a long time before the book came out. Slash ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's not a complete retard. I feel like he wouldn't be that stupid to deliberately lie about something like that knowing the audience knows different. And I do think its possible sucha conversation did occur between him and Doug. But it was probably backstage.

I know I sound like apologist here, but I genuinely believe this wasnt a case of shining a light on Axl as a complete total bad guy. Each to their own I guess.

Memory is a tricky thing. You can swear you remember things a certain way, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's true. A tense situation, 20 years earlier, probably talked to Doug backstage afterwards, but when trying to remember got the order of events mixed up. I'd say this has probably happened to every single one of us on the planet.

Except for people with photographic memories, and Volcano.

He's remembering something that happened 20 years ago. Whereas we've all seen the video hundreds of times. Honestly, I'm probably sure he's never seen the video or he saw it once. He was there, I'm sure he doesn't waste his time watching old Guns N Roses videos, especially the embarrassing ones. I'm not trying to stick up for Slash, I'm just saying it seems very realistic that this was how he remembered the event because he was part of it. We all know it like we learned it out of a textbook. We all tell stories and get them a little off like this.

If thats why Axl hates Slash (I know what you mean) then it makes him look even stupider. As if he doesn't lie.

He's remembering something that happened 20 years ago. Whereas we've all seen the video hundreds of times. Honestly, I'm probably sure he's never seen the video or he saw it once. He was there, I'm sure he doesn't waste his time watching old Guns N Roses videos, especially the embarrassing ones. I'm not trying to stick up for Slash, I'm just saying it seems very realistic that this was how he remembered the event because he was part of it. We all know it like we learned it out of a textbook. We all tell stories and get them a little off like this.

If thats why Axl hates Slash (I know what you mean) then it makes him look even stupider. As if he doesn't lie.

I too agree that his recollection of the past is very foggy (at best).

I feel sorry for Slash that he gets asked this question all the time. And he always answers it the same way, which can get repetitive for him. I personally think that after the HOF thing, with Axl not showing, I don't think it will ever happen. Not that I think it needs to happen, put it this way, if Axl is not 100% into it then it's not worth doing.

I feel sorry for Slash that he gets asked this question all the time. And he always answers it the same way, which can get repetitive for him. I personally think that after the HOF thing, with Axl not showing, I don't think it will ever happen. Not that I think it needs to happen, put it this way, if Axl is not 100% into it then it's not worth doing.

I agree. Again though, shows that Slash is a nice guy and puts up with it. He should be given credit that the guy doesn't explode at these people, because he certainly has reason to. Especially because he's ALWAYS there to promote something that's not Guns N Roses. He's moved on and none of the interviewers let him. Shows the world we live in.

Point is if you want a reunion, stop antagonizing the meglomaniac frontmen. Its not gonna happen if everytime they do interview they make Axl look bad with half remembered stories, then call his current band names. UMG label execs must be like "can you just blow him, come on do it for the fans, think of money"

Point is if you want a reunion, stop antagonizing the meglomaniac frontmen. Its not gonna happen if everytime they do interview they make Axl look bad with half remembered stories, then call his current band names. UMG label execs must be like "can you just blow him, come on do it for the fans, think of money"

Yeah, I also agree with this. They are probably feeding Axl's hate with those stories and putting pressure on his shoulders.

I don't know. I really think the very reason the video was so open and out there means he may have not watched it in a long time before the book came out. Slash ain't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's not a complete retard. I feel like he wouldn't be that stupid to deliberately lie about something like that knowing the audience knows different. And I do think its possible sucha conversation did occur between him and Doug. But it was probably backstage.

I know I sound like apologist here, but I genuinely believe this wasnt a case of shining a light on Axl as a complete total bad guy. Each to their own I guess.

I guess my point is less about Slash's actual intentions and more about Axl's interpretation of events. Maybe Slash's recollection really is foggy.

The problem is that Axl is a meticulous guy. I'm willing to bet his memory of all those events has been written down and stashed away in a little box. He hears Slash retell a story inaccurately? Lie! Slash says he's open to a reunion? Lies! Is Slash at fault? Not really, like you say, we're all guilty of the same thing at some point.

But every interview Slash discusses him, Axl hears subtle deviations from the truth making Slash look like the better guy. Meanwhile, Axl says less and less over the years and seems to hate Slash more and more as time goes by. I feel like the only way Axl would have considered a reunion at this point is if Slash had already stopped discussing their relationship in interviews at all. If they have no lines of communication, it's the only explanation for Axl seeming to dislike Slash more than ever now.

Those small deviations from the truth mean a lot to him; Marc mentioned that he thought Axl would want a full, detailed and public apology from Slash to ever consider mending the fences. I'm not saying that's reasonable on his behalf, I just think it's why they're not likely to reunite anytime soon (or ever).

• Like 2

When he jumped down, it was great, we kept playing that suspenseful riff that starts off "Rocket Queen," and I thought the whole moment was killer. When Axl got back onstage, everything felt triumphant for a second... then he grabbed the mike, said something like, "Because of the bullshit security, we're going home," slammed the mike down, and walked offstage.The band kept going. We'd gotten good at improvising to fill dead space - drum solos, guitar solos jams - we had a bag of tricks to keep things moving whenever Axl made a sudden exit. We kept jamming, and I went over to the side of the stage."Where is he? I asked Doug.He looked at me with a pained expression. "He's not coming back.""What do you mean he's not coming back?" I shouted, still playing the riff."There is no way he is coming back," Doug said. "There is nothing I can do."We were about ninety minutes into our set, which was our minimum contractually, but the plan was to play a two-hour ser and the crowd wasn't close to satisfied. They knew there was a lot more left. I would have done anything to get Axl back onstage at that point."Ask him again!" I yelled. "Find out if he's really not going to." I should have known by Doug's expression that there was no use.Once it was final, we had no choice: the band put down our gear, and it was like pulling the plug on the stereo - the song just ended on a question mark. That entire arena sat there expecting something to happen, but instead we walked offstage without a word."

It's a technique known as 'gaslighting' making oneself look incredibly reasonable whilst insinuating the other person is crazy. Admittedly Axl is no wronged housewife by a longshot but I agree that these subtle rewriting of history are probably high up on the list of things that upset Axl. It's very insidious but of course would make him sound petty if he brought it up in interviews etc...

I don't think Slash is as lovely and reasonable as he likes to portray himself. I watched this video the other day, about half way through someone knocks on the door and interrupts, it clearly pisses him off and he starts to get a bit nasty but then you can see he remembers he's got a camera pointed at him and recivers himself v quickly. Okay there's nothing bad about that on the surface (and I think he is coked too) but I guess Axl would have just let rip so what you see is what you get with Axl. I guess none of it is Hague war crime worthy but interesting psychological stuff nonetheless.

• Like 2

So let me get this straight.

Slash might have lied or be a little bit foggy on the history = you guys saying he tried or tries to rewrite the history of certain events.And you guys condemn him for it.

While Axl went and re-recorded AFD,trying to totally erase GNRs past and that's all fucking fine and dandy with many in this forum.

Edited by SweetRose

If Axl cared so much, he could have told his side of the story a lot better, a lot earlier, and a lot more frequently than he did. Remaining silent not only makes it look like you're hiding something, but it literally prevents people from even knowing your side of the story.

I can see Slash answering questions in a slightly different way from what actually happened to make himself look better, but who doesn't do that? Everybody does that. When you mix in some incorrect information due to a foggy memory (no doubt affected by drug and alcohol abuse for much of that time period), I can see where Axl might take offense at certain things he knows are not quite accurate. But I still haven't seen Slash say or do anything publicly that was half as egregious as making the rest of the band into employees, calling him a cancer, putting out that statement about Slash's visit that was specifically designed to drive a wedge right into the heart of Velvet Revolver. Etc.

Edited by axlsalinger
  • Like 1