2001: The Thread - "I have traversed a treacherous sea of horrors to be with you here tonight"

Broskirose

Saw them in Boston at the Fleet Center in 2002 and thought they put on a great show and were an interesting band but never thought for a second I was watching Guns n Roses perform.........

I do think it is a shame Axl mucked up ChiDem so much with his delays and studio tinkering and think that band had some promise of making some interesting music had they stayed together.........

Edited by classicrawker

Still wondering what was up with Axl's voice in 2001.

I think the mix at Rio was all fucked up, the same as it was 5 years later at Rock in Rio: Lisboa, and that's why Axl's voice was drowned out on most songs. If you could have heard Axl for all the songs at Rio, even with his clean voice, it would have gone down as legendary.

Yeah, something I noticed about Oh My God from Rock in Rio...listen to how his voice goes from sounding weak and squealing through most of it but then in the last seconds when he sings on after the rest of the band stops playing. It sounds awesome, and its had me wondering before if he just pulled that out of nowhere or if the mix somehow really was fucking with what we were hearing before that. I'm not saying he must have been amazing the whole time and it was all the sound engineers' faults, but I wonder if the mix does have a noticeable impact on how strong Axl's voice seems.