CD deserved a competent audience

bacardimayne

So then who

And the funny thing is that the mullet-head 80's people the OP apparently hates so much.........I bet those people accounted for probably 75-80% of the sales of CD.

Only 75-80? I'd say 85-90, which is kinda my point here.
Are you implying that age or hair style makes a difference in how intelligent somebody is concerning music? So fans that were around when GnR hit, fans that actually experienced the band in its prime years, fans that have support Axl for 25 years........those - in your mind - those are the people you are insulting? I must be missing something, as surely that's not what you mean? Manets - can you provide examples of these "stupid" fans?
Completely fucking missed the point.I'm not insulting anybody. I'm just pointing out the fact that those people are not the kind of people who are going to give CD a fair listen.

Since we're generalizing and stereotyping what kind of people are going to give CD a fair listen?

Preferably people who just don't care about GNR in general.

I love van halen. What's the problem?

Apparently you are "old," a "mullethead," and too "stupid" to understand Chinese Democracy according to the hip kids of today.

I don't understand the issue here myself!

I like Van Halen, GNR, ACDC, etc. all kinds of bands...

I like newer rock bands, linkin park, avenged sevenfold, etc. I also like some kanye west. If that makes me a bad person, nice!

I think Chinese Democracy is an excellent record. 10/10 IMO. I think Axl was legally within his right to do what he did with the bands name and he put together a lineup that gave their best effort and did an excellent job. The record should have been released sooner, promoted a lot more, music videos should have been made, monumental promotion should have taken place.

I still listen to all guns n roses today, even chinese. It's not my fault Slash was dumb enough to sign the name over. That's why I'm angry with Slash, because of him GNR continues on with the likes of Ashba and Bumblefoot when the only replacements that made sense were finck and bucket. And again, nothings getting released, no new songs being played, no changes to the set list and all we ever do hear now from the band is a bunch of whining that some fans on the internet hurt their feelings so bad that they're afraid to post in here the band is a joke, and it's not even a band! it's a friggin cover act!!!!..That's my rant of the day!

Technically true, but as a music fan I don't really want to spend alot of time thinking about legal entitlement. As soon as you go down that road you're buying into the whole petty world of contracts and control that tore guns apart.

Should I maybe read over the most recent band contracts to check on the obligations of Ron and DJ? Perhaps we should have our own 3 hrs meeting about last quarter revenues. Sounds fascinating.

And why would you be angry with slash for standing aside if you think finck and bucket made so much sense? Slash stood aside for them, albeit unknowingly. You want the guy who drove finck and bucket out. We should check their contracts.

Chinese Democracy is flawed as an album, and anybody who gave it a fair listen, to use your own words, should see it. And liking Van Halen or Mötley Crüe has no incidence in such an honest and justified opinion.

Apparently you are "old," a "mullethead," and too "stupid" to understand Chinese Democracy according to the hip kids of today.

I like newer rock bands, linkin park, avenged sevenfold, etc. I also like some kanye west. If that makes me a bad person, nice!

I think Chinese Democracy is an excellent record. 10/10 IMO. I think Axl was legally within his right to do what he did with the bands name and he put together a lineup that gave their best effort and did an excellent job. The record should have been released sooner, promoted a lot more, music videos should have been made, monumental promotion should have taken place.

I still listen to all guns n roses today, even chinese. It's not my fault Slash was dumb enough to sign the name over. That's why I'm angry with Slash, because of him GNR continues on with the likes of Ashba and Bumblefoot when the only replacements that made sense were finck and bucket. And again, nothings getting released, no new songs being played, no changes to the set list and all we ever do hear now from the band is a bunch of whining that some fans on the internet hurt their feelings so bad that they're afraid to post in here the band is a joke, and it's not even a band! it's a friggin cover act!!!!..That's my rant of the day!

Technically true, but as a music fan I don't really want to spend alot of time thinking about legal entitlement. As soon as you go down that road you're buying into the whole petty world of contracts and control that tore guns apart.

Should I maybe read over the most recent band contracts to check on the obligations of Ron and DJ? Perhaps we should have our own 3 hrs meeting about last quarter revenues. Sounds fascinating.

And why would you be angry with slash for standing aside if you think finck and bucket made so much sense? Slash stood aside for them, albeit unknowingly. You want the guy who drove finck and bucket out. We should check their contracts.

Not angry. Slash and Duff signed the name over, Axl is within his right to do whatever he wants with the GNR name. And I felt he did the right thing til he hired those two. That's what I was getting at.

And yes, find those contracts. Find Beta's too if u can, I'm sure that'll bring a great laugh.

Not angry. Slash and Duff signed the name over, Axl is within his right to do whatever he wants with the GNR name. And I felt he did the right thing til he hired those two. That's what I was getting at.

And yes, find those contracts. Find Beta's too if u can, I'm sure that'll bring a great laugh.

You're very tolerant. I think Axl had run much of gnr into the ground long before DJ and Ron showed up.

The latest guitarists are symptoms of a disease. When you have symptoms, you treat the disease. Can anyone treat the disease?

Apologies to ron for this analogy, he's just a good guy trying to make a living.

5 years is not that long. I think given enough time, people will at least take a second, unbiased look and try to judge the music purely on just how good it is.

My guess is that the reception will be better in the future. I think Duff said something similar about it too.

5 years is not that long. I think given enough time, people will at least take a second, unbiased look and try to judge the music purely on just how good it is.

My guess is that the reception will be better in the future. I think Duff said something similar about it too.

I've tried and I've tried, man. You have no idea how badly I want it to be good. It's just not.

I've tried and I've tried, man. You have no idea how badly I want it to be good. It's just not.

It's ok man, it's ok *hugs*.

Go look at duff's wife in the other thread, you'll feel better.

• Like 1

I think it's great, and as music is subjective, just because you think it's not good doesn't make it so.

The popular opinion with reviewers is that it's pretty good. I don't know if that even matters.

There will always be someone who doesn't like something. Every album that was ever written will make some people feel it's bad.

I think it's great, and as music is subjective, just because you think it's not good doesn't make it so.

The popular opinion with reviewers is that it's pretty good. I don't know if that even matters.

There will always be someone who doesn't like something. Every album that was ever written will make some people feel it's bad.

I see how this works. Change the argument when it doesn't suit you. First you look forward to the time when people "take a second, unbiased look and try to judge the music purely on just how good it is," i.e. objectively, and now, since you'd have to back up your bullshit and you simply can't or aren't capable, you fall back on subjectivity.

I see how this works. Change the argument when it doesn't suit you. First you look forward to the time when people "take a second, unbiased look and try to judge the music purely on just how good it is," i.e. objectively, and now, since you'd have to back up your bullshit and you simply can't or aren't capable, you fall back on subjectivity.

Not at all. Chinese came with a lot of baggage. The history of the classic line up and the breakup, the most expensive album ever created, the time it took to make it, and all that shit. Many people were biased. Reviewers as well. Some reviews didn't even talk a lot about the actual music.

Like it or not, music IS subjective, and when I said people will give Chinese an unbiased second look, I meant without all the shit that surrounded it at the time. I didn't change the argument and I have no problem backing up what I said.

Edited by Rovim

People need to take into account that Bacardimayne was born in 1993, missed the glory days of GNR and VH in their entirety and grew up associating anything 80's with his parents, automatically rendering them "uncool".

Today he is a hipster and thinks Kanye West, who samples much of the music he derides, is the pinnicle of artistic achievement.

He also thinks that everyone in the 80's had mullets and dodgy tasches, probably even the women, and thinks he is the first kid ever to hate on what came before him.

He'll grow out of it, like all children do when their mind matures and they realise that they don't know everything.

Cut him some slack.

good points, but i was born in 1989 (so i'm not really much older than him and still like 80's music (although later synthpop VH albums give me cringe)

edit: hahahaha the bolded parts give me a good laugh, spot on!

Edited by Crash Diet

When are you guys going to understand that the only reason the album got any attention at all was because of the "baggage"? No one gives a shit about CD. No one will ever give a shit about it. If you like it, great. But don't try to act like people will have some musical awakening with CD. It ain't happening.

• Like 1

On the other hand, it was love if first sight with me, and it's still my favorite album. And yet, we're both GNR fans. That's interesting, isn't it?

• Like 1

When are you guys going to understand that the only reason the album got any attention at all was because of the "baggage"? No one gives a shit about CD. No one will ever give a shit about it. If you like it, great. But don't try to act like people will have some musical awakening with CD. It ain't happening.

You can't possibly know what will happen in the future with how well it will be recieved or how many people will care about it. I never said musical awakening (or anyone else in this thread) I said it will get an unbiased second look and will be judged purely based on the music.

The circumstances of it's release were not common at all. I think it had a negative influence on it's reception and given enough time, all the shit that shouldn't be relevant to people who listen to it will not matter as much and that will, imo, help the album to be more appreciated.

Edited by Rovim

On the other hand, it was love if first sight with me, and it's still my favorite album. And yet, we're both GNR fans. That's interesting, isn't it?

I have no problem with people liking it. And of course music is subjective and all that shit. But there are some objective criteria by which we measure the quality of a subjective medium. Just as it's fine to like Motley Crue and Poison and Whitesnake and Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and such, they're simply not good, and neither is CD, not by any of the well established criteria that have been used to judge music since always. Enjoy it all you want. I'm happy for you. But when people start to go on about how it's a great album, fuck off. It's not, not by any measure.

Edited by magisme

I have no problem with people liking it. And of course music is subjective and all that shit. But there are some objective criteria by which we measure the quality of a subjective medium. Just as it's fine to like Motley Crue and Poison and Whitesnake and Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park and such, they're simply not good, and neither is CD, not by any of the well established criteria that have been used to judge music since always. Enjoy it all you want. I'm happy for you. But when people start to go on about how it's a great album, fuck off. It's not, not by any measure.

But you're the one who's measuring it by your own standards and taste. On one hand you say music is subjective, but then you start talking about some objective criteria that totally contradicts the fact that music is subjective.

That means that no one person can decide if it's good or not. I get that there is a popular opinion, but even the popular opinion about Chinese is that it's not a bad album like you think it is.

Edited by Rovim

This x1000. It's a love of guns that unites us.

I'd rather be on a desert island with the most detested guns fan than a stranger. You'd never get bored because with so much in common and so much knowledge at hand, you'd be debating gnr all day long.

And then I'd drown and eat Jarmo.