I am embarrassed for all all of us

volcano62

But for the record... He is a replacement, right? You guys haven't started arguing that he was always in the band, right?

It's rare that I get involved in this shit, but ...

Slash replaced Tracii - does that justify calling Slash a replacement?

Duff replaced Ole - so should Duff be called a replacement?

Sorum replaced Adler, who had replaced Rob - so are both Steve and Matt just replacements?

The only one who is a true Replacement is Tommy. ;)

I think this is an extremely stupid point.

Not at all. If you are going to define a person as a "replacement" strictly because they took over somebody else's job, then you can't pick and choose those to whom you think the definition applies. Think about the billions upon billions of people who have taken over somebody's job over the years - do you call all of them replacements too? Is every player on every sports team just a "replacement"?

It's fine to call someone a replacement shortly after they take over somebody else's job, but after a while they can't be labeled a "replacement" anymore. Hell, Bumble has been in the band for more than 7 years now ... calling him a replacement is beyond silly.

The harder you try to make this stupid point, the more stupid it sounds. Edited by CoolRanchDressing
  • Like 1

It should not be a fans job to support the band blindly like a sheep. They should be able to criticise things which are bad, and praise things which are good.

I supposed that's hard to understand though, when your head is firmly stuck up Axl's arse.

But I couldn't agree more. Being a fan isn't about blindly worshiping everything a band does (or in GnR's case, doesn't do)

I'm getting sick and tired of this argument. Yes, it's technically correct. But Izzy, Steven, Duff and Slash are the guys they blew up with. The first lineup they properly released music with. The lineup that made them go from nothing to something. They, Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Seven, built this band.

No doubt ... but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with disrespecting a 7-year bandmember by calling him a replacement. There's no justification for it, none.

I'm getting sick and tired of this argument. Yes, it's technically correct. But Izzy, Steven, Duff and Slash are the guys they blew up with. The first lineup they properly released music with. The lineup that made them go from nothing to something. They, Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff and Seven, built this band.

No doubt ... but that has absolutely NOTHING to do with disrespecting a 7-year bandmember by calling him a replacement. There's no justification for it, none.

So in seven years he hasn't written one song for his band? You're making an excellent case for why people think of the current band as replacements. Or I guess replacements for replacements would be more accurate, since none of the current guys were first round draft choices even in the nugnr microcosm.

Trolling Ron is kinda pointless. It's like giving a hard time to your nice step-mother because your dad is fucking lazy and couldn't care less about you.

Ron has a really good sense of humor so if nothing else, I bet he'd laugh at most of the stuff that was thrown out there.

Technically you are correct but what GN'R song has Ron written? Whose solos are those that Ron is playing? This debate says less about, the technicalities of replacements, and a lot more about how nugnr have completely failed to break out of the old band's shadow. It might be different if Ron was on his third GN'R album by now.

The cupcakes on the Bumblefoot chat was really overdoing it and way out there.

I am embarrassed for the whole GNR community. In real life any normal human being doesn't act that way. Fuckin' keyboard warriors living in mom's basement.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves (you know who you are)

Get a fuckin' life

The cupcakes were there because nobody has a clue how to run an official website nor how to organized a chat. The GN´R CAMP SHOULD BE ASHAMED. It was a chat about nothing. Why having Ron to chat with fans when new music is not allowed to be performed, when there is no news, no tour, no album?... nothing!!!! I don´t give a flying fuck about Ron jamming in a chat room

When he answered the Vegas DVD question he said WTF? This shows he is a hired guy. He doesn´t have a say nor a clue about anything GN´R related. Not just him, the rest of the hired guys are the same boat. In what way is this a band?

Are the band members contracted with Universal as far as their solo albums go?

It´s not about the amount of years in the band. What role Ron, Richard, Frank,etc play in the band besides getting on stage? Is Axl having meetings with them often enough about a new album? Does Axl ask them for ideas or imput about things related to the band? It seems to me that Axl, Beta, Fernando and Del James run the show and everyone else just follow orders and nothing else.

Seems pointless to cupcake Ron as he is a good guy in general who actually seems to care about the fans......but I am sure he is used to it and was not surprised by it.

That being said even if he wasn't trolled what do fan really expect him to bring to the table regarding NuGuns? Based on past interviews these guys are obviously under a gag order not to tell us anything of substance so unless he was talking about himself I doubt we would have learned anything new about the band or their plans........... :shrugs:

I don't think they are under gag orders at this point. It seems once the tour is over theu don't hear anything until the phone rings asking them to be on a flight to the next gig.

Really? can you explain why they never answer questions about what is going with the band then?

So in seven years he hasn't written one song for his band? You're making an excellent case for why people think of the current band as replacements. Or I guess replacements for replacements would be more accurate, since none of the current guys were first round draft choices even in the nugnr microcosm.

Most people think of the current band as just that, the current members of GNR. It's quite common for people to come and go in bands, happens all the time. But here's what you're missing: Each bandmember brings something different to the table. They don't try to imitate the guy who had the job before them, they do what they've always done and what they are best at. Regardless of whether or not they have as much success as earlier bandmembers, they still have made contributions to the band.

Honest question: How many people here referred to Sorum as a "replacement" during the UYI days? I never heard him called that after 1990, not even once.

I don't think they are under gag orders at this point. It seems once the tour is over theu don't hear anything until the phone rings asking them to be on a flight to the next gig.

Really? can you explain why they never answer questions about what is going with the band then?

Because they don't know.

It´s not about the amount of years in the band. What role Ron, Richard, Frank,etc play in the band besides getting on stage?

They accomplished something the AFD lineup couldn't accomplish - they kept the band going.

And Ron & Tommy both contributed to the only GNR album released over the past 20 years.

AFD lineup WAS a BAND and they acted as one. They've also managed to put out together some of the best rock music ever made.

Make no mistake BBF & pals are just Axl's employees (like Axl likes to use the term) paid to do whatever the fuck Axl feels like doing without complains. Not true? Just cut out the paychecks to Axl's employees and see what kind of band you've got left...

It´s not about the amount of years in the band. What role Ron, Richard, Frank,etc play in the band besides getting on stage?

They accomplished something the AFD lineup couldn't accomplish - they kept the band going.

And Ron & Tommy both contributed to the only GNR album released over the past 20 years.

AFD lineup WAS a BAND and they acted as one. They've also managed to put out together some of the best rock music ever made.

Make no mistake BBF & pals are just Axl's employees (like Axl likes to use the term) paid to do whatever the fuck Axl feels like doing without complains. Not true? Just cut out the paychecks to Axl's employees and see what kind of band you've got left...

Huh? Are you saying that, say, Slash and Duff wouldn't have remained in GN'R in 1988 if they didn't get their share of the revenues?

Of course people will leave a band if they aren't paid in some form. That doesn't make it less of a band. A band is simply a group of musicians playing together. Current GN'R may not be as great of a band as you might like, and there might be lots to criticise it for, but it is still a band.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

They put a lot more than one album together in a lot less than 20 years. Not only that they made history. And all of them made contrubitions not just one or two members. All of them agree to sign with Geffen. All of them agreed about hiring Alan Niven and Mike Clink to work with them. Do we have all of them or it´s one or two people deciding and giving orders now?

I have nothing against Ron and Tommy. I´m not sure I like how things are run