Scariest Movie You've Seen?

Black Sabbath

With October coming to an end, and a few other threads regarding scary movies, what is the scariest movie you've seen, or even your favorite?

I'm biased when it comes to this kind of stuff because I don't get scared during movies, even during "pop-out" scenes really. It kind of sucks because I want to jump and be alarmed sometimes, but whatever.

Anyway, if I had to answer, I'd probably choose The Descent. It's one of my favorite horror movies and still kind of creeps me out when I re-watch it.

Hey, good topic. I love horror and thriller movies, but I simply can't get scared by none. At least, not anymore. They're all predictable and cliche. It's sad that this great genre has come to this. There are still good movies of any genre being made, but horror seems to be the only one that has been sucking for the last years. The last one I saw that was actually really good was "The Cabin In The Woods."

Anyway, answering the question... I think the scariest film I've ever seen was the spanish film "REC." I was fourteen when I watched it for the first time (2007), and it still doesn't fail to scary me. REC 2 is very good too, but the third one is completely lame.

Edited by ManetsBR
  • Like 1

Probably Blair Witch Project when I was like 10. I was scared to go anywhere near a forest after dark for a long time afterwards.

I saw this movie really young and I wasn't scared at all for some reason, it's always been labelled a good film and scary but i've never gotten the appeal. I thought it was pretty lame. One of those you either love or hate.

I think it would be Jaws. That movie terrified me. I used to love the beach when I was little, but to this day I still feel a bit uneasy when I'm in the ocean. That movie, out of any scary movie I've ever seen, screwed with my head. I'm always looking around, picturing a fin in the waves, and inevitably the music starts playing in my mind. Even though it doesn't stop me from going in and doing things like snorkeling and scuba diving, I'm never 100% comfortable.

• Like 1

It has to be Dracula (The 1931 one with Bela Lugosi). I was just a little kid when I watched it for first time and I literally had nighmares during several days. Also, Chucky for the same reason.

Nowadays I have the same problem that Manets mentioned: too spoiled to get scared and surprised, even with the most controversial and disturbing movies. "Saw", only the first one, was one of the last horror movies that really surprised me.

Hey, good topic. I love horror and thriller movies, but I simply can't get scared by none. At least, not anymore. They're all predictable and cliche. It's sad that this great genre has come to this. There are still good movies of any genre being made, but horror seems to be the only one that has been sucking for the last years. The last one I saw that was actually really good was "The Cabin In The Woods."

Anyway, answering the question... I think the scariest film I've ever seen was the spanish film "REC." I was fourteen when I watched it for the first time (2007), and it still doesn't fail to scary me. REC 2 is very good too, but the third one is completely lame.

Definitely [REC]. It's the most claustrophobic, creepy, and absolutely terrifying film I can think of. I still get chills after seeing it countless times. And it's the perfect example of shaky cam films done well. I actually prefer [REC] 2, even if it's not as scary as [REC]. I see it as Aliens is to Alien; the action-packed sequel. I enjoyed [REC] 3 but it was indeed very campy.

• Like 1

Yeah, if I had seen REC 3 as a totally different movie, unrelated to REC, I probably would have enjoyed it more. The fact that the first two films were so good made me expect something else. I wish they had continued with the story, but instead, they started something elese, but for some reason, keeping the REC name.

That doesn't take the merit from the series, though. Absolutely not.

Edited by ManetsBR

Yeah, I'll check out REC one of these nights. Same with VHS.

Another mention for the sheer "uncomfortable" feeling is The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

Have you seen it? Haven't been able to find a copy of it...

Skip V/H/S 2. It sucks. The original is worth watching though.