Eddie Murphy Movies

Snake-Pit

He's made some phenomenal movies. And also some of the worst stinkers.

His best films are 48 Hours, Trading Places, Beverly Hills Cop (what a great fucking 3 in a row), Coming To America, The Nutty Professor, Dr. Doolittle (very underrated but its really hilarious), Shrek, and Dreamgirls.

This past decade has been truly horrible on his part. His choice of kids films has been terrible, and his original stuff has been about the same. The back to back of Dreamgirls to Norbit really highlights his extreme terrible taste. Tower Heist could have been a comeback but, while it wasn't a bad movie, it unfortunately wasn't anything to write home about. I'll hold out hope that the great Eddie will return (either to movies or stand up), but I'm not holding my breath. He seems like a total dick these days and I think he's just stopped caring about future stuff. His legacy is secure as it is, I think every year he just decides randomly to do something for the paycheck and hopefully thinks it'll work out.

48 Hrs & Trading Places his 2 best flicks.

How does someone go from being that friggin' hilarious to mostly awful? You'd think he woulda eventually found his groove again these last 15 years or whatever, but... :confused:

I agree. I remember a few years ago Charlie Murphy( Eddies brother) was doing some radio shows and said that Eddie was going to do stand up comedy again. But it never happened. Eddie probably wanted to be a 'serious actor' and once he didn't get the Oscar for Dreamgirls, he got pissed off and semi-retired.

48 Hrs & Trading Places his 2 best flicks.

How does someone go from being that friggin' hilarious to mostly awful? You'd think he woulda eventually found his groove again these last 15 years or whatever, but... :confused:

I agree. I remember a few years ago Charlie Murphy( Eddies brother) was doing some radio shows and said that Eddie was going to do stand up comedy again. But it never happened. Eddie probably wanted to be a 'serious actor' and once he didn't get the Oscar for Dreamgirls, he got pissed off and semi-retired.

It all seemed to start going downhill in the mid 80's when he tried for a music career and actually had a semi hit with this gem:

:lol:

Always seemed to take himself too seriously after that until it was too late. I'd say Eddie in 48 Hrs. and Michael Keaton in Night Shift were 2 of the best comedy actor debuts of all time and both eventually went down the tubes after taking themselves more seriously though both had a few good flicks before totally losing it. Surprising Bill Murray's been able to make the transition more successfully than these 2 and at an older age...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

It's strange how the man that made Raw and Delirious hasn't been in a single good film for the last 20 years.

Not really. He was just TOO god damn funny at 20 years old. He fucking killed from 20-30, and then totally burnt out. Honestly, he's one of the luckiest motherfuckers to get Shrek. Smooth sailing moneywise after that. I do really wish he would go back to just being half as funny as he was in Raw and Delirious.

• Like 1

It's strange how the man that made Raw and Delirious hasn't been in a single good film for the last 20 years.

Dreamgirls isn't a particularly good film, but he was fucking fantastic in it. For a second it seemed there might be a return to form in the works, but then he lost the Oscar and petulantly retreated to shitsville. I don't think he's no longer capable of doing good work or recognising good scripts, I believe his megalomania is so pronounced that he doesn't feel Hollywood and/or we deserve his best, so he's largely content doing bad kids flicks and paycheck junk.