Meat Loaf

Amir

Always liked the song Bat Out Of Hell as a kid, decided to listen to the whole album yesterday for the first time, along with Bat Out Of Hell II. Preferred the latter overall, especially for the tracks Life is a Lemon and Everything Louder Than Everything Else. Listening through Bat Out Of Hell III now, there's a couple of tracks I like (Bad For Good with Brian May on guitar is cool).

Any recommendations for other similar tunes? I'm a big fan of bombastic high concept rock opera things (hence my love for Chinese Democracy).

He's horribly overrated. Bat Out Of Hell is a masterpiece album. Every song is golden (although a bit long and self indulgent). Afterwards, he had a handful of good songs, nearly all of them Steinman contributions. Probably is he thinks he's a lot better than he really is. He can soak Bat Out Of Hell for all it is, but I hate hearing him talk about anything else like its actually good. His voice was also never as good since the Bat Out Of Hell tour. Being fat didn't really work for him in the long run.

I don't get all of the love for the first album, the songs kind of blend into one apart from the title track, though I still enjoyed listening to it. The 2nd one has some great songs, the 3rd one has a couple of good ones (Bad for Good, Seize the Night, both from Steinman) and his voice is good enough (though not as good as on the previous albums) thanks to studio trickery. Saw he played London earlier this year, but judging from YouTube videos I've seen his voice isn't up to much live, like you said. I always wondered what the big deal was and I am enjoying going through his songs for now, will check out Hang Cool Teddy Bear.

I really like Life Is A Lemon too, and the spoken word one about the Fender :lol:

If you want to hear him rocking out, he sings a few tracks on Ted Nugent's Free For All album :headbang:

Listened to Hammerdown before, never realised it was Meat Loaf! Thanks!

Love the studio records. Bat 1 and 3 are my favorites. Love the contributions that Steinman and Bittan made on the first two, and the all star band behind him on 3 is unreal (various songs involve Sixx, John 5, Brian May....). He's shit live, but unreal records.

I really like Life Is A Lemon too, and the spoken word one about the Fender :lol:

If you want to hear him rocking out, he sings a few tracks on Ted Nugent's Free For All album :headbang:

Listened to Hammerdown before, never realised it was Meat Loaf! Thanks!

I seem to remember Hammerdown being my favourite song off that album- good man!