kings of chaos mystery guest

PITBOSS

yesterday in L.A

kings%20(2).jpg

Look, its Guns N Roses!

Duff stops playing and asks the others, "Damn, where's Axl, he's late. Not like him, should we be concerned?"

That Duff, always such a nice, caring dude. :)

so KOC is essentially 1992-1993 GNR minus Dizzy and Axl?

yesterday in L.A

kings%20(2).jpg

Look, its Guns N Roses!

Duff stops playing and asks the others, "Damn, where's Axl, he's late. Not like him, should we be concerned?"

That Duff, always such a nice, caring dude. :)

so KOC is essentially 1992-1993 GNR minus Dizzy and Axl?

They are part of the band but there are other band members......

Cool picture in any case and great to see them playing together again.............

Well, Kings Of Chaos was basically "Rock N' Roll Superstar", a touring project created by Matt Sorum. It's just him calling friends for touring together. Since 2013 it became Kings Of Chaos including Matt, Duff, Gilby or/and Dave Kushner, Glenn Hugues, Joe Elliot, Myles Kennedy and more. Depends on everyone's schedules ! Matt was talking about Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop... MAYBE for the next shows (not South America 2013) ;)

Is there any video avaiable with Corey or with Glenn?

yes very short video of "Brownstone" w/ Corey last week

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=536709329754150

w/ Glenn, there's tons of videos taped during the South African Tour earlier this year:

Glen Hughes > Myles Kennedy

I think, even, Myles would agree with you on that one.

That said, during their tour in South Africa, Hughes talked a huge amount of praise about Myles where he did not even need to do that.

this sounded real good for a brief moment when glen started singing.

would like to hear him sing some of slash's and/or GNR/VR

Myles does an amazing job singing Fall to Pieces and the other VR songs IMHO....The versions he does on the 3 Australia shows during the first tour with Slash are epic................

• 2 weeks later...

Setlist Avalon Hollywood - click on the song to watch the video ! :headbang:

Intro
The sea (Matt Sorum)
Mistreated (Glenn Hugues seul)
Highway Star

Smoke On The Water
Rebel Yell

Mr Brownstone
It's So easy
Dirty Deeds Done Dirtcheap
Burn
Communication Break Down / Immigrant Song
Blues Jam
Slither
Tie Your mother Down
Paradise City

KOC%20(22).jpg

Edited by Slash2baz
  • Like 2

Well, Kings Of Chaos was basically "Rock N' Roll Superstar", a touring project created by Matt Sorum. It's just him calling friends for touring together. Since 2013 it became Kings Of Chaos including Matt, Duff, Gilby or/and Dave Kushner, Glenn Hugues, Joe Elliot, Myles Kennedy and more. Depends on everyone's schedules ! Matt was talking about Steven Tyler, Iggy Pop... MAYBE for the next shows (not South America 2013) ;)

Surprised Steve Jones hasn't taken part in it yet.

Thanks for the videos. The show was truly outstanding. Yeah, I knew going into it that it would be cool to see all these guys, but it ended up being one of the more amazing concerts I have been to in recent memory. I got nervous going in about the different ticket prices, because I had originally wanted to go but didn't want to splurge on the $100 tickets. Then about 3 days ago, just checking on a whim, they had $40 tickets, so I snatched one right up. Paying $43 to see Slash, Duff, Glenn, Matt, etc, and the ticket being cheaper than if I were to see any of these guys by themselves? Couldn't turn it down.

Got to the venue around 7:30 after I got off work. I figured since doors were at 8, I would probably end up being pretty far to the back of the venue, which I was fine with because this was one of those spur of the moment shows I was going to and I was just happy to be in the building. However, they didn't start letting people in till about 8:30, and to my amazement I walked right in and got a spot about 4 people deep, dead center. Definitely a great vibe to the show. The rock DJ at the beginning was a nice touch, as I feel the time passes much faster waiting at the beginning of a show when the venue is blasting good music that I can get into. Great choices like Bitch, 20th Century Boy, 2000 Man, Cheap Trick, etc to really get the crowd pumped.

Sorum got on stage around 9:30, explained the evening and then played his new song which was very good. Cool little acoustic number with I guess his own solo backing band. They then played a 10 minute video about Ric (the head dolphin guy this show was all about), which I'll admit bordered a bit on the tedious side as we were all just really waiting for Kings, but obviously this is what the event was for so this was to be expected. Then Matt introduced Ric who made a nice short speech, and then introduced this girl Ariel who played 3 songs.

By this time it was really getting to the point where I was really hoping the band was coming on soon. Luckily, after Ariel, Matt introduced Glenn Hughes, who did a solo acoustic version of Mistreated. Obviously I know who Glenn Hughes is and I like a lot of his songs from his time in Deep Purple, but this was my first time seeing him live in any capacity. Holy crap, he was otherworldly. Literally, he set the bar so unbelievably high at the beginning I was afraid the band might not live up to him. He played a mean acoustic guitar and his voice was just incredible. Hit everything perfectly and the range he displayed just on that one song (at times when he didn't even have to) I think shocked the entire audience. We were on his side immediately and it was honestly a perfect opener for the band.

Finally, around 10:20, Kings Of Chaos went on as Sorum, Duff, Steve Stevens and Glenn Hughes. They did great versions of Highway Star and Smoke On The Water, again with Glenn really making this something to see. At 62, I couldn't believe how amazing of a frontman he still is and how amazing his voice held up for the entire show. If he didn't clearly look like he was older, you'd think he was in his 20s or 30s from his energy. Just really gave it his all for this benefit show and left me stunned. Even Corey Taylor said when he came out that after watching that he wasn't sure he'd be able to follow that. Obviously, it was awesome to see Duff and Matt up there as well. Duff didn't really get any spotlight time during the night which I was kind of disappointed about, as he basically just maintained his role as background bassist for the whole evening, but he was as on as ever. I really can watch him like I watch Slash onstage, because he's just that good and interesting. Matt killed it on drums all night.

Corey Taylor was very good with his songs. Definitely surprised me by his frontman status. I'm not a Slipnot fan, but he seems like a cool guy and I can get how he would work for Velvet Revolver. I still think there are other people I'd prefer, but it does seem he would definitely get the job done. Great energy and voice for the evening. Obviously, the show reached another level when Slash finally came out. It really is just a joy to see him whenever possible on stage. His presence really was immediately felt once he joined in, and he played as incredibly as he has been for the last 5 years. Just absolutely killed every song.

I was nervous about Juliette Lewis, as she's just someone that annoys me beyond belief, but she did well. Dirty Deeds was a cool song choice and one I wasn't expecting so that helped. Honestly, she didn't really seem to know the words, and her "moves" onstage can be described as... interesting. But she got through fine enough and it helped hearing Slash, Duff and Matt play an AC/DC song. I was also happy that was her only appearance of the night. Next to Mistreated, the section of Burn and Communication Breakdown with just Glenn, Slash, Duff and Matt onstage was probably the highlight of the night for me. I mean, that should just be a band right there and those 4 sounded incredible. Slash destroyed Burn with Duff and Matt providing great backup, and Glenn just sang the shit out of it. Same for Communication. That section of just those 4 on stage was truly special and I really do think they should consider starting something because Glenn is perfect for those 3. I mean, don't they all just look like a perfect band here:

GreatestBandEver_zps65be4fcf.jpeg

Matt's friend who came out sing Immigrant Song was cool. Didn't catch his name, but he was another really solid frontman for the evening. They did a cool bit of The Ocean in between the two Zep songs and Slash broke a string during Communication as well. A very cool blues jam followed, which I believe Glenn said was Slash's idea (not surprised). Didn't slow the show down as I initially thought, which was again mainly thanks to Glenn who provided great vocals here to what seemed like an improvised piece. I'll admit, when the harmonica player came onstage I did start hoping they'd play Bad Obsession even though I knew that probably wasn't gonna be the case. But really cool spot here with the great talent onstage.

Solid ending with not much else to say. Slither with Corey sounded really good (and I was happy after seeing Slash so many times solo that I didn't have to sit through a 10 minute version of the song) and the two closers were very cool. There seemed to be a disbelief in the crowd when Matt brought Billy Ray Cyrus up onstage, who Matt said he just met backstage for the first time. Billy looked homeless and rather drunk, so his whole appearance was very odd, but I guess he had fun and he didn't distract from anything. It was smart that they relegated him to just backup vocals and possibly didn't turn his mic on because it didn't seem he knew the words to either song. But Tie Your Mother Down was a lot of fun (again Slash really nailing the guitar part) and Paradise City is always incredible, but definitely extra special with Duff and Matt.

Overall, it was a really fun evening. I still felt like I almost completely snuck my way in getting to be very close after only setting all this up a few days ago for such a cheap price. Raised a lot of awareness for the dolphins (at least I'll certainly think of Matt whenever I think of them from now on), and even though it bordered on funny at times when he would just blurt stuff out about saving the dolphins at a rock show, you can tell he really does sincerely care about this stuff and good for him by getting involved in this way. Matt really was touched when he said he just called all these guys and asked them to help him, so good on all of them for delivering this type of show. It goes without saying Kings Of Chaos should do more US shows. I didn't think it would be as great as it was, but these guys all just really know how to play together and it seems so well put together. They really did seem clear to say last night this was their only US show of THIS year, so hopefully it means more on the way. If they come anywhere near you, run to this event. You will not regret it. Didn't plan to write this much but caught up in reliving all the moments from last night. I've got more pictures that I may post later when I get the chance, but I thought that Glenn one came out surprisingly well and that people might like it.

Edited by gunsfanoldie
  • Like 2

Other thoughts: it was disappointing Myles wasn't there, just because I think he's great, but the show didn't suffer. I'm just sure its cooler with him there and maybe we would have gotten Nightrain or something.

-Was FINE with Joe Elliot not being there. Don't really care for the covers or Leppard songs he chooses to do with these guys.

-Having the guy from Collective Soul would have been cool, but same with Myles that he wasn't essential. I would have only wanted Shine had he been there anyway.

-Take 10 minutes out of your day and watch the Mistreated video. That really was an excellent performance. It was also hilarious, yet really embarrassing of the audience that they didn't know what to sing when Glenn turned the mic to them for a second 3 minutes in.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Thanks for videos.It´s great to see Slash, Duff and Matt together on stage. And gunsfanoldie thanks a lot for your detail review. I´m very happy for you. So it seems those 40 bucks were more than worthy.

They play a new song too unlike.... errr... no comment.

I don´t know if they can play many shows together or think about VR. Duff is very involved with Walking Papers right now and Slash is making his new album

And I guess Matt seems to be having a new album coming out in February, so it does seem they are all very busy as I would expect from all of them. I guess LA works for them if they were to ever get together because it seems thats where they all live, but it really would be a shame if places like NY don't get a chance to see this. It really is a more well put together act than I had initially thought, and not just "here are all these guys coming out to do their hits". They really seem to put time into it, and that makes the already cool event even cooler. But yeah, understandably it seems like it'd be very hard to coordinate many shows for them.

Also, it wasn't something I thought about too much, but it did hit me during the show its sad Axl just can't do this. We all know how cool it is to see Slash, Duff and Matt play together, and even if Axl sounded bad it would be incredible if he were to show up. I feel bad for him, in that all he ever does is play shows with current GNR while the other former members go out and have fun with whoever they want to. It was just sad to picture that during an event like this, Axl is just sitting at home because him and Slash can't just talk. I'm sure he'd really like the show, and its disappointing that we all know he would never show up to something like this. Just seeing all the singers, I'm sure Axl would work really well in this type of event.

And I guess Matt seems to be having a new album coming out in February, so it does seem they are all very busy as I would expect from all of them. I guess LA works for them if they were to ever get together because it seems thats where they all live, but it really would be a shame if places like NY don't get a chance to see this. It really is a more well put together act than I had initially thought, and not just "here are all these guys coming out to do their hits". They really seem to put time into it, and that makes the already cool event even cooler. But yeah, understandably it seems like it'd be very hard to coordinate many shows for them.

Also, it wasn't something I thought about too much, but it did hit me during the show its sad Axl just can't do this. We all know how cool it is to see Slash, Duff and Matt play together, and even if Axl sounded bad it would be incredible if he were to show up. I feel bad for him, in that all he ever does is play shows with current GNR while the other former members go out and have fun with whoever they want to. It was just sad to picture that during an event like this, Axl is just sitting at home because him and Slash can't just talk. I'm sure he'd really like the show, and its disappointing that we all know he would never show up to something like this. Just seeing all the singers, I'm sure Axl would work really well in this type of event.

Axl's a putz - he chooses to live his life with hatred in his heart - he gets what he deserves IMO - life's too short to hold onto anger and grudges unless your axl rose

I agree, and its hardly something I ever think about. Just noticeable last night, or at any event with a significant amount of GNR members are in attendance I'm sure, that it is sad he can never take part in events like these. He could be well liked and just have fun like Slash and Duff seem to enjoy doing. Yet he feels the need to live this sort of hermit life having to be kept distant from these guys he didn't like 20 years ago. He brought it upon himself, but as he is an important part of the band we all love, I can't help but feel bad for him. Especially looking back now, its sad that things could have gone so differently, and I don't know if anyone would argue Slash and Duff live more fulfilling lives than Axl. They just don't worry about this stuff.

Thanks for the videos. The show was truly outstanding. Yeah, I knew going into it that it would be cool to see all these guys, but it ended up being one of the more amazing concerts I have been to in recent memory. I got nervous going in about the different ticket prices, because I had originally wanted to go but didn't want to splurge on the $100 tickets. Then about 3 days ago, just checking on a whim, they had $40 tickets, so I snatched one right up. Paying $43 to see Slash, Duff, Glenn, Matt, etc, and the ticket being cheaper than if I were to see any of these guys by themselves? Couldn't turn it down.

Got to the venue around 7:30 after I got off work. I figured since doors were at 8, I would probably end up being pretty far to the back of the venue, which I was fine with because this was one of those spur of the moment shows I was going to and I was just happy to be in the building. However, they didn't start letting people in till about 8:30, and to my amazement I walked right in and got a spot about 4 people deep, dead center. Definitely a great vibe to the show. The rock DJ at the beginning was a nice touch, as I feel the time passes much faster waiting at the beginning of a show when the venue is blasting good music that I can get into. Great choices like Bitch, 20th Century Boy, 2000 Man, Cheap Trick, etc to really get the crowd pumped.

Sorum got on stage around 9:30, explained the evening and then played his new song which was very good. Cool little acoustic number with I guess his own solo backing band. They then played a 10 minute video about Ric (the head dolphin guy this show was all about), which I'll admit bordered a bit on the tedious side as we were all just really waiting for Kings, but obviously this is what the event was for so this was to be expected. Then Matt introduced Ric who made a nice short speech, and then introduced this girl Ariel who played 3 songs.

By this time it was really getting to the point where I was really hoping the band was coming on soon. Luckily, after Ariel, Matt introduced Glenn Hughes, who did a solo acoustic version of Mistreated. Obviously I know who Glenn Hughes is and I like a lot of his songs from his time in Deep Purple, but this was my first time seeing him live in any capacity. Holy crap, he was otherworldly. Literally, he set the bar so unbelievably high at the beginning I was afraid the band might not live up to him. He played a mean acoustic guitar and his voice was just incredible. Hit everything perfectly and the range he displayed just on that one song (at times when he didn't even have to) I think shocked the entire audience. We were on his side immediately and it was honestly a perfect opener for the band.

Finally, around 10:20, Kings Of Chaos went on as Sorum, Duff, Steve Stevens and Glenn Hughes. They did great versions of Highway Star and Smoke On The Water, again with Glenn really making this something to see. At 62, I couldn't believe how amazing of a frontman he still is and how amazing his voice held up for the entire show. If he didn't clearly look like he was older, you'd think he was in his 20s or 30s from his energy. Just really gave it his all for this benefit show and left me stunned. Even Corey Taylor said when he came out that after watching that he wasn't sure he'd be able to follow that. Obviously, it was awesome to see Duff and Matt up there as well. Duff didn't really get any spotlight time during the night which I was kind of disappointed about, as he basically just maintained his role as background bassist for the whole evening, but he was as on as ever. I really can watch him like I watch Slash onstage, because he's just that good and interesting. Matt killed it on drums all night.

Corey Taylor was very good with his songs. Definitely surprised me by his frontman status. I'm not a Slipnot fan, but he seems like a cool guy and I can get how he would work for Velvet Revolver. I still think there are other people I'd prefer, but it does seem he would definitely get the job done. Great energy and voice for the evening. Obviously, the show reached another level when Slash finally came out. It really is just a joy to see him whenever possible on stage. His presence really was immediately felt once he joined in, and he played as incredibly as he has been for the last 5 years. Just absolutely killed every song.

I was nervous about Juliette Lewis, as she's just someone that annoys me beyond belief, but she did well. Dirty Deed was a cool song choice and one I wasn't expecting so that helped. Honestly, she didn't really seem to know the words, and his "moves" onstage can be described as... interesting. But she got through fine enough and it helped hearing Slash, Duff and Matt play an AC/DC song. I was also happy that was her only appearance of the night. Next to Mistreated, the section of Burn and Communication Breakdown with just Glenn, Slash, Duff and Matt onstage was probably the highlight of the night for me. I mean, that should just be a band right there and those 4 sounded incredible. Slash destroyed Burn with Duff and Matt providing great backup, and Glenn just sang the shit out of it. Same for Communication. That section of just those 4 on stage was truly special and I really do think they should consider starting something because Glenn is perfect for those 3. I mean, don't they all just look like a perfect band here:

GreatestBandEver_zps65be4fcf.jpeg

Matt's friend who came out sing Immigrant Song was cool. Didn't catch his name, but he was another really solid frontman for the evening. They did a cool bit of The Ocean in between the two Zep songs and Slash broke a string during Communication as well. A very cool blues jam followed, which I believe Glenn said was Slash's idea (not surprised). Didn't slow the show down as I initially thought, which was again mainly thanks to Glenn who provided great vocals here to what seemed like an improvised piece. I'll admit, when the harmonica player came onstage I did start hoping they'd play Bad Obsession even though I knew that probably wasn't gonna be the case. But really cool spot here with the great talent onstage.

Solid ending with not much else to say. Slither with Corey sounded really good (and I was happy after seeing Slash so many times solo that I didn't have to sit through a 10 minute version of the song) and the two closers were very cool. There seemed to be a disbelief in the crowd when Matt brought Billy Ray Cyrus up onstage, who Matt said he just met backstage for the first time. Billy looked homeless and rather drunk, so his whole appearance was very odd, but I guess he had fun and he didn't distract from anything. It was smart that they relegated him to just backup vocals and possibly didn't turn his mic on because it didn't seem he knew the words to either song. But Tie Your Mother Down was a lot of fun (again Slash really nailing the guitar part) and Paradise City is always incredible, but definitely extra special with Duff and Matt.

Overall, it was a really fun evening. I still felt like I almost completely snuck my way in getting to be very close after only setting all this up a few days ago for such a cheap price. Raised a lot of awareness for the dolphins (at least I'll certainly think of Matt whenever I think of them from now on), and even though it bordered on funny at times when he would just blurt stuff out about saving the dolphins at a rock show, you can tell he really does sincerely care about this stuff and good for him by getting involved in this way. Matt really was touched when he said he just called all these guys and asked them to help him, so good on all of them for delivering this type of show. It goes without saying Kings Of Chaos should do more US shows. I didn't think it would be as great as it was, but these guys all just really know how to play together and it seems so well put together. They really did seem clear to say last night this was their only US show of THIS year, so hopefully it means more on the way. If they come anywhere near you, run to this event. You will not regret it. Didn't plan to write this much but caught up in reliving all the moments from last night. I've got more pictures that I may post later when I get the chance, but I thought that Glenn one came out surprisingly well and that people might like it.

Hey great review ! ;)

The guy who sang led Zep stuff + Paradise city is Franky Perez. he was a potential VR singer back in 2008. He played w/ Slash during the 3 Slash n' Friends gigs in 2009.

Billy Ray Cyrus (yeah Miley's father :awesomeface: ) did backing vocals on "Paradise City" !

Great review at metal assault. Thanks for posting that.

Also, I'll never truly understand fans. I really have never had any interest in bombarding someone like this. A meet and greet is a different story. Even meeting someone after the show where he can actually say hi and speak to you for a few seconds makes sense. But bombarding the guy and hardly even qualifying as meeting him? IMO just makes no sense:

• Like 1

Some more pictures, although probably rendered useless at this point since the videos are already out there:

Glenn Hughes opens:

20131118_221423_zps13d81864.jpeg

Duff, just being cool:

20131118_222515_zps0e9840d9.jpeg

Billy Ray Cyrus, presumed drunk and homeless:

20131118_232453_zpsc2d52044.jpeg

Glenn, Slash and Matt:

20131118_225856_zpsed0611b4.jpeg

Duff and Matt:

20131118_224206_zpsbba9bd8a.jpeg

All participants of the Blues Jam:

20131118_231133_zpsef4aebe5.jpeg