Do you think Axl is haunted by what could have been for New GNR?

Randy Lahey

Great question. Although I can't recall sources right now, I've heard people say that Robin was Axl's Randy Rhodes. I wonder if Axl started to feel defeated when Robin left?

Interesting to hear this. I am willing to bet he at least feels regret about anyone from the 2001-2002 lineup leaving. He seemed to really love Buckethead for his technical ability and the persona he brought to the band, while Robin seemed to be more of his partner-in-crime (like Tommy).

Somewhere along the way some introspection has to kick in ...if everyone is out to get you..maybe its you? Fink could have stepped into the spotlight and rolled GNR down the road had Axl been able to get CD out in 2001/2002. Waiting around as a musician is killjoy and not really being able to express can thwart any artist. Like any relationship there is always a candy stage where everything is new and fun and full of promise but when none of those promises get delivered things begin to emerge that can cause doubt and resentment. No one knows why Robin exited stage left but im inclined to think that he recognized that his career was going no where. Some where he must have sensed that his career was destined to always be the hired hand sidekick to the singer and held hostage to thier muse. (Trent and Axl)

Great question. Although I can't recall sources right now, I've heard people say that Robin was Axl's Randy Rhodes. I wonder if Axl started to feel defeated when Robin left?

Interesting to hear this. I am willing to bet he at least feels regret about anyone from the 2001-2002 lineup leaving. He seemed to really love Buckethead for his technical ability and the persona he brought to the band, while Robin seemed to be more of his partner-in-crime (like Tommy).

Somewhere along the way some introspection has to kick in ...if everyone is out to get you..maybe its you? Fink could have stepped into the spotlight and rolled GNR down the road had Axl been able to get CD out in 2001/2002. Waiting around as a musician is killjoy and not really being able to express can thwart any artist. Like any relationship there is always a candy stage where everything is new and fun and full of promise but when none of those promises get delivered things begin to emerge that can cause doubt and resentment. No one knows why Robin exited stage left but im inclined to think that he recognized that his career was going no where. Some where he must have sensed that his career was destined to always be the hired hand sidekick to the singer and held hostage to thier muse. (Trent and Axl)

What's stopping him from putting out a solo album and go on a tour? Robin has his fans.

What did Robin do since then? Toured with NIN and... not much else?

I know he does session work sometimes for a song or two, but I think that if he wanted to put out more music (fuck, look at Bucket's output) he would have no problem doing it.

Robin strikes me as a very weird guy, which is cool, but maybe releasing music on his own is not a top priority. Maybe he prefers being the 'sidekick'.

Edited by Rovim

If I were him I would be haunted by what could have been for the original band if they'd stayed together.

True. I still think Axl could have had an Ozzy type solo career if he hadn't insisted on carrying the GNR name on by himself.

This is true. Sometimes I think he simply continued on because he wanted to prove he was Guns N' Roses. Needless to say, when he had the chance, he blew it.

If I were him I would be haunted by what could have been for the original band if they'd stayed together.

True. I still think Axl could have had an Ozzy type solo career if he hadn't insisted on carrying the GNR name on by himself.

This is true. Sometimes I think he simply continued on because he wanted to prove he was Guns N' Roses. Needless to say, when he had the chance, he blew it.

Or maybe he didn't want to give up the name, with all that comes with it cause he came up with it (with Izzy) and since every important member of the classic line up left, he kept it cause he never wanted Guns to end.

Or maybe he didn't want to give up the name, with all that comes with it cause he came up with it (with Izzy) and since every important member of the classic line up left, he kept it cause he never wanted Guns to end.

That's the catch - the real reason behind "he never wanted Guns to end". Could be that he loved GN'R or that he simply tried to prove something to the ones who questioned and doubted him.

Truth is, I never expected my favorite band to be in this position.

That's the catch - the real reason behind "he never wanted Guns to end". Could be that he loved GN'R or that he simply tried to prove something to the ones who questioned and doubted him.

Maybe it wasn't just one reason.

That would have been really, really cool.

Slash is kind of the Ozzy of the 90s. Axl seems to have done everything in his power to avoid that. I guess Axl wanted to be more of Jagger figure.

Axl did work to make GNR successful, I can see why he didn't want to give that all up with a 10 million dollar advance. Also it's kind of the format or kind of band he wanted to be in I suppose. Stones, Queen, Zepp something like this, a frontman of a big band. Otherwise why didn't just start out as Elton john type singer/songwriter, many people do that.

Another thing O don't get is why the label supported him at first? Were they just holding out for Slash to return. They kept giving Axl money to record as GNR , encouraging it…where it seems most in the industry were only interested in a reunion.

Axl could have done a Chris Cornel, hooked up with another guitarist and formed a supergroup and just taken a back seat. but this is Axl "Victory or Death" Rose. That's a good title for a GNR album, "Victory or Death".

Edited by wasted

Maybe it wasn't just one reason.

I think you both are correct.

But whatever the reasons, the fact that he wasn't able to carry on the GnR name successfully or at a similar level of the classic line-up probably eats away at Axl on a daily basis. He probably hates that Slash has been more successful than he has, and that his baby CD was only a minor success. My guess is that's why he refuses to share new music with his fans. One album in 20 years - sad.

I wish the guy would stop worrying about making the perfect record, would stop worrying about what Slash is doing, stop suing everybody and their brother, and just spend some time recording music and sharing it with his remaining MILLIONS of fans. That's what the majority of his fans want. To enjoy music from one of their favorite rock singers of all time. Every song doesn't have to be epic or a masterpiece or absolutely perfect in every way. Fans just want to experience and enjoy Axl Rose music.

I wish Axl/Beta realized this.