Chinese Democracy in chronological order?

wasted

Do you think if you listen to CD in the order they were written it tells a better story, has more of a flow to the tracks?

"This I Love" - (1994-2007)

"Catcher in the Rye" - (1998-1999)

"Chinese Democracy" - (1998-2000)

"Street of Dreams" - (1998-2000)

"There Was a Time" - (1998-2000)

"Riad N' The Bedouins" - (1998-2000)

"I.R.S." - (1998-2000)

"Madagascar" - (1998-2000)

"Prostitute" - (1998-2000)

"Shackler's Revenge" - (2000-2004)

"Better" - (2000-2004)

"If the World" - (2000-2004)

"Scraped" - (2000-2004)

"Sorry" - (2000-2004)

Although there's obvious overlap, TIL was done before CD really started.

Then you've got two distinct groups, Catcher, Chi Dem, SOD. TWAT, Riad, IRS, Madagascar, Prostitute.

Then, Better, Shackler's, ITW, Scraped, Sorry.

The first half of the songs are much more down than the second half. It's like Axl is getting his mojo back after dealing with the various break ups early on. It flows a lot smoother in this track listing and ends with Axl back in the saddle.

Shackler's Revenge had a Buckethead solo, so it can't be about Virginia Tech. Actually, it was still "shadow marked" on the Multitracks, and I had a video on my YouTube account where I overdubbed a couple of things to make it almost possible to hear. It was difficult, but you could notice it in the background. Too bad that stupid idiot Nazi Suicidal took everything down.

Edited by ManetsBR

Actually Axl refers to the Shacklers lyrics being written after the Virginia Tech shooting, no? And that was what, 2007?

Yes. I asked the same thing several years ago but then someone brilliantly answered: "yes, but the music was probably written before that".

Axl maybe added the words or some of them, and that is actually the way I contemplate all newGNR music stuff. Probably just music and then once every 5 o 6 years Axl puts lyrics on it

Shacklers, Ron did a solo in 2004.

Think that was 07, no? I remember reading an article with Ron - might have been in like, Guitar World or something - where they were asking him to give his memories of recording all his tracks on the album and he talked about Summer of 07 being in the studio and eating takeout Thai food all the time and he referenced Shackler's, I think in the same paragraph. Plus, wasn't Ron not even rumored to be rehearsing with the band until 05? Or did those rumors indeed start in 04?

Think that was 07, no? I remember reading an article with Ron - might have been in like, Guitar World or something - where they were asking him to give his memories of recording all his tracks on the album and he talked about Summer of 07 being in the studio and eating takeout Thai food all the time and he referenced Shackler's, I think in the same paragraph. Plus, wasn't Ron not even rumored to be rehearsing with the band until 05? Or did those rumors indeed start in 04?

I might be wrong, but wasn't Ron a very last minute addition to the band in '06 and beforehand it was, allegedly, only Robin & Fortus after Buckethead left?

I might be wrong, but wasn't Ron a very last minute addition to the band in '06 and beforehand it was, allegedly, only Robin & Fortus after Buckethead left?

This. God, I still remember not knowing who Bucket's replacement was until reading unconfirmed reports, here, on the day of the first Hammerstein show. Awesome times.

This. God, I still remember not knowing who Bucket's replacement was until reading unconfirmed reports, here, on the day of the first Hammerstein show. Awesome times.

Exactly. Even on the Eddie Trunk show Axl was tight-lipped about the replacement and that was the night before (or something).

I know people rag on Ron, but I'm so glad he joined. He's one of the few people who actually can play to, and add to, Bucket's sound. I can't imagine it with just Robin & Fortus, if no other reason than now it would be just Ashba & Fortus.

Shackler's Revenge had a Buckethead solo, so it can't be about Virginia Tech. Actually, it was still "shadow marked" on the Multitracks, and I had a video on my YouTube account where I overdubbed a couple of things to make it almost possible to hear. It was difficult, but you could notice it in the background. Too bad that stupid idiot Nazi Suicidal took everything down.

Here's a video I put up a couple years back.

I think youre right ron added stuff after 2004. So these dates really are more when the songs were written, started and finished, but then Ron did final touches.

I remember seeing Sorry or ITW on an early tracklist.

But there was this session around 2004 that Shacklers, Scraped, Sorry, ITW seem to have been done. This seems like the Bucket songs session.

Theres a definite difference in the way they are finished then the grungier stuff like Chi dem, riad, irs, catcher.

Weirdly TIL dates back to before 94? then Robin did that solo in 07?

Considering Axl was ready to mix in 2000, then assume all the songs were pretty much the same ones we got. Then certain songs like Shacklers, scraped, Sorry, ITW, TIL got a 2004-beyond revamp. You say there is no chronology its just just the songs got different treatments.

According to the Axl chats, Shackler's lyrics are inspired by Virginia Tech.