Which member of the band? - If you were in a band... Is the coolest role in the band... ??

Snake-Pit

Which member of the band?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

Fuck that, I'd do the soppy wankers out of all the money i could as the manager and leave em :lol: Might as well, do right by em and you'll be there 5 years from now listening to some bottom feeder have a go at you cuz the bits of ham are bigger than the bread slice or whatever, fuck em, rob the cunts :lol:

Well it has to be the guitarist, although I am biased because I play guitar. Drummers are a strange breed, a breed apart. Bassists are usually the 'guy in the corner', usually someone's friend who has been roped into the band, or, a failed guitarists - it is the position nobody wants. Singers get the most coverage but they are usually twats. There is a long list of singers who have been first rate twats, Jagger, Roth, Vince Neil, Axl Rose. Singers tend to care about money more than the ‘rock n’ roll’ lifestyle and tend to be too image conscious. They are too, obvious, in their coolness. Now guitarists are nonchalant anti-authoritarian piratical figures. Think Keith, Ace Frehley, Slash.

Guest Len B'stard

If it's a comparitive thing, if you're the right kind of either then it's fuckin' cool, if you're a Moonie or a Ginge there ain't nothing better than drummers, if you're a Jimi Hendrix or a Keef...or even a John Squire or a Johnny Marr then there's nothing cooler than guitarists and if you're a Johnny Rotten or a Iggy Pop then there ain't nothing cooler than a lead singer.

Guest Len B'stard

With me it's just like, the mentalness apart from the boozy stuff? Like Moonie plays and i've never had this with anybody else but his drumming makes me laugh? He's just doing ridiculous things with it, things that other drummers don't do, things that don't...exactly fit where he's putting them but his aplomb and style and flair and flourish pulls it off, like he'll drum straight during the breaks and then like...when then like, do all the slick shit during the vocals when he should be playing straight, it's like an out of control locomotive, it sounds like he's gonna drop the ball at any minute and the songs gonna fall apart but somehow he just holds it all together, doing the weirdest shit drumming-wise, the most unconventional. It really really is just a joyous thing to behold, it's like an expression of some sort of un-harness-able glee, i've never heard anything like it, it's not traditionalist, it's not textbook, it's fits perfectly into The Who and possibly wouldn't work with any other band.

My point is with the right kind of drummer, it's the playing itself thats the coolest thing, above and beyond all the hijinks, which are always cool.

Well it has to be the guitarist, although I am biased because I play guitar. Drummers are a strange breed, a breed apart. Bassists are usually the 'guy in the corner', usually someone's friend who has been roped into the band, or, a failed guitarists - it is the position nobody wants. Singers get the most coverage but they are usually twats. There is a long list of singers who have been first rate twats, Jagger, Roth, Vince Neil, Axl Rose. Singers tend to care about money more than the rock n roll lifestyle and tend to be too image conscious. They are too, obvious, in their coolness. Now guitarists are nonchalant anti-authoritarian piratical figures. Think Keith, Ace Frehley, Slash.

So singers care too much about their image but Slash and Frehley are genuine? :rofl-lol:

As for bass, Flea says it's cool.

Well it has to be the guitarist, although I am biased because I play guitar. Drummers are a strange breed, a breed apart. Bassists are usually the 'guy in the corner', usually someone's friend who has been roped into the band, or, a failed guitarists - it is the position nobody wants. Singers get the most coverage but they are usually twats. There is a long list of singers who have been first rate twats, Jagger, Roth, Vince Neil, Axl Rose. Singers tend to care about money more than the rock n roll lifestyle and tend to be too image conscious. They are too, obvious, in their coolness. Now guitarists are nonchalant anti-authoritarian piratical figures. Think Keith, Ace Frehley, Slash.

So singers care too much about their image but Slash and Frehley are genuine? :rofl-lol:

As for bass, Flea says it's cool.

Of course numerous examples of 'cool' bass players can be produced (I would personally mention Bill Black, Willie Dixon, Roger Glover, Duff et al.), however, all you can do is generalise when asked such a question. In answer to your question regarding Slash and Ace, yes.

Now I say this as the lead guitarist in my band, lol. But whatever your job is in the band, do it the best you can, give it everything you got and your fucking cool in my book. Just being in a band is one of the coolest things you can do. All jobs in the band are important, when everyone knows how to do their job its fucking magical folks.

Guest Len B'stard

In fact that whole two string thing is from that. In terms of ol' Joanna, hmmm, Jerry Lee, Ian Stewart (did i get that right?), piano generally adds another dimension, especially it rock n roll, proper rock n roll i think needs a bit of that, sometimes its just that one little touch of colour missing to make an OK song into an incredible song. With Chuck it's literally him trying to replicate chundering honky tonk piano by way of guitar. Like tryna do Fats Domino on a Gibson.

For example, Cock in my Pocket by The Stooges, it'd be just a throwaway rip roaring proto punk type thing but the piano in it just makes it feel like...blistering, i dunno if you've ever heard it Dies', lemme chuck you a link, tell me what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spF0gR54XUU

Do you not feel that the piano absolutely makes that song? :)

Edited by sugaraylen