The Slash is a cancer thing

Amish

I keep seeing this pop up over and over and it's irritating because it's so misunderstood.

People actually think that was a cold hearted dig at Slash's mom? They actually think he was even talking about the physical disease?

"A cancer" is something you can use to describe anything that you view as an unwanted, unnecessary thing that only serves to drag you down and harm you. For example, you might say "Hitler was a cancer on the world."

It had nothing to do with anybody that actually has the disease itself. Using the term in this way also does nothing to devalue or make light of actual cancer.

I think a lot of people don't even understand what the disease is. It isn't a disease that has any single particular cause, or any single set of symptoms. "Cancer" is a term used in the medical world to describe a harmful growth anywhere on your body. Sometimes, the cells in your body go all weird and spurt random growths. Sometimes, those growths will keep growing and become harmful. Those growths are called "cancers." Sometimes, the growth is nothing and you can safely live with it the rest of your life. Those growths AREN'T called "cancers."

So calling Slash a cancer didn't have anything to do with anyone's mom or anything to do with making light of a deadly disease. It was simply the best way to describe Axl's viewpoint on his relationship with Slash, which was to say that Slash had a hugely negative impact on Axl's life and was harmful from the start.

• Like 3

In what universe does any of this actually matter? We all know what cancer is. Fact remains that one person compares another person with a horrible and deadly disease. To me, that's a horrible thing to say.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cancer

can·cer

noun \ˈkan(t)-sər\

: a serious disease caused by cells that are not normal and that can spread to one or many parts of the body

: something bad or dangerous that causes other bad things to happen

The word is used all the time to describe things that fit that second definition. Maybe where you're from you never heard it used that way so it was shocking to you? I've heard it used figuratively to describe thousands of things.

Edited by Amish
  • Like 1

The offense that some people take at the remark is mainly brought on by the "Oh, no...you did NOT go there" attitude. The problem is, it's nothing shocking. It's a figurative term used all the time to describe harmful things. Would you have rather Axl said "Slash is like a weird growth that I'm glad is finally gone."

Also, people describe ex-friends in a harsh way all the time, so it's nothing horrible.

Edited by Amish

If Slash had called Axl a cancer (he wouldn't) I can imagine the Axl's army of nutjobs all twisting their panties in a very much worse way.

Even worse than this?

This what? Honestly I haven't seen many Slash fans complaining or even talking about it. Can you find any posts about it? Overly dramatic like OP or lolcano are describing it?

I think people like to mention "Axl called Slash a cancer" when they need to show the lunatic Axl has become.

If Slash had called Axl a cancer (he wouldn't) I can imagine the Axl's army of nutjobs all twisting their panties in a very much worse way.

Even worse than this?

This what? Honestly I haven't seen many Slash fans complaining or even talking about it.

Are you fuckin' kidding? :lol:

• Like 1

I'm sorry but again - what kind of a difference does it make that he meant it figuratively? The man compares an ex bandmate to a horrible disease. Just admit that's a rotten thing to do and stop making excuses. For fucks sake. He could've chosen a thousand other ways to express himself but he didn't. He's not dumb, he knows that this is how people are going to interpret it. So obviously it's also what he meant.

• Like 1

I'm sorry but again - what kind of a difference does it make that he meant it figuratively? The man compares an ex bandmate to a horrible disease.

No, that is the literal interpretation. The figurative interpretation is that he likened Slash to something bad, something that grows, something that spreads, something that is malicious, something that must be removed, etc (pick your choosing). And that simply isn't as bad as the literal interpretation. But again, it was really tasteless.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

I keep seeing this pop up over and over and it's irritating because it's so misunderstood.

People actually think that was a cold hearted dig at Slash's mom? They actually think he was even talking about the physical disease?

"A cancer" is something you can use to describe anything that you view as an unwanted, unnecessary thing that only serves to drag you down and harm you. For example, you might say "Hitler was a cancer on the world."

It had nothing to do with anybody that actually has the disease itself. Using the term in this way also does nothing to devalue or make light of actual cancer.

I think a lot of people don't even understand what the disease is. It isn't a disease that has any single particular cause, or any single set of symptoms. "Cancer" is a term used in the medical world to describe a harmful growth anywhere on your body. Sometimes, the cells in your body go all weird and spurt random growths. Sometimes, those growths will keep growing and become harmful. Those growths are called "cancers." Sometimes, the growth is nothing and you can safely live with it the rest of your life. Those growths AREN'T called "cancers."

So calling Slash a cancer didn't have anything to do with anyone's mom or anything to do with making light of a deadly disease. It was simply the best way to describe Axl's viewpoint on his relationship with Slash, which was to say that Slash had a hugely negative impact on Axl's life and was harmful from the start.

No ones actually needs explaining that though do they the point is with that whole thing that his Mum had cancer at the time supposedly and he made that comment and no one really knows whether he did it with or without knowledge of the aforementioned. The fact that you've taken it upon yourself to defend Axl despite his not having clarified one way or the other and just tell us what Axl was thinking or where he was coming from, without his having said so reflects a little oddly upon you, why have you chosen to take that responsibility to be the spokesman for what goes on in another mans head and moreover how would you know? And don't say 'it's obvious' cuz it's not obvious, how do you know whether Axl knew his mum had cancer?

And even, in the best case scenario, he didn't know and it was meant as innocently as you've outlined (which is more than likely the case) and then suddenly his Mum dies from cancer...and it's bothered you that bad that Axl could be misinterpreted in such an awful way, perhaps your focus should be more on your hero and his expressing himself in a way so open to interpretation than appearing to have a go at people that have picked up on something that is still kind of a may or may not thing, being as Axl never really clarified.

• Like 1

I agree with the OP but it doesn't matter. Comments like that only show that Axl Rose was still crying and bitter about Slash's departure.

lol almost 20 years and still bitter. :shrugs:

Well, we know for a fact that Perla is still bitter and she was around for nothing. Do you believe that that doesn't reflect the true feelings of her husband?

• Like 1

There are so many other ways he could have described it, but he had to go with a disease that 1/3 of the people will die from. Good job Axl!

I've had cancer, my father died from cancer, grandparents died from cancer, so a remark like that hits me at a personal level.

But when all is said and done, that "cancer" is still one of the reasons Mr. Rose has his meal ticket. Try surviving on the music you wrote without him.

Axl doesn't give a fuck about his mom or knows nothing about her illness.. He called slash a cancer as a figure of speech and I quite enjoy the slasholes getting all butthurt.

Speaking of butthurt- are you over Erin selling those hilarious love letters and other belongings yet?

I agree with the OP but it doesn't matter. Comments like that only show that Axl Rose was still crying and bitter about Slash's departure.

lol almost 20 years and still bitter. :shrugs:

Well, we know for a fact that Perla is still bitter and she was around for nothing. Do you believe that that doesn't reflect the true feelings of her husband?

I see Perla as a Guns N' Roses fan, not as Slash's wife. Slash was a member of Gn'R, not Perla.

I don't see anyone talkin' about Beta's comments about Slash or Slash guitar playing.