Am I the only one who prefers The Blues to Street of Dreams?

wfuckinga

I think The Blues (especially the 01-01-01 performance) is a lot tighter than Street of Dreams. I would've preferred a studio of The Blues. Luckily Evader made one. Am I the only one that thinks there was more passion in the 01 performance than the '10 performance?

The Blues (starts at 36:29)

Street of Dreams
  • Like 2

If you preferred Street Of Dreams to The Blues, you would be the only one.

No, I actually prefer the slowed-down, new version.

Sorry for you.

Guest Len B'stard

Is there much difference? Pretty much the same thing except some little productioney touches. I gotta say this song is a cracker, feels like listening to Guns n Roses again :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Is there much difference? Pretty much the same thing except some little productioney touches. I gotta say this song is a cracker, feels like listening to Guns n Roses again :)

To me it has an entirely different feel. The 2001 live version just feels better to me. I still like the CD version, but I prefer the 2001 version. I also hated the name change. I always thought "The Blues" was a perfect song title. Didn't care for the name change at all.

I love The Blues. Amazing song, and in earlier versions you can feel the heart Axl puts into it.

To me it has an entirely different feel. The 2001 live version just feels better to me. I still like the CD version, but I prefer the 2001 version. I also hated the name change. I always thought "The Blues" was a perfect song title. Didn't care for the name change at all.

Why was the name changed? Was there ever an official explanation?

If there ever was, I never heard why. Only thing I recall is that "The Blues" was the working title. I love this song. It's definitely among my top 10 GNR songs of all time. Lyrics are great. Two things about the name change that never made sense to were, #1 to me, it was the perfect name for that song. And #2, is the fact that there is already a classic rock song, of which has gotten, and continues to get, more radio air play than any song on Chinese Democracy called Street Of Dreams by Ritchie Blackmores' Rainbow. Point being, if you ever happen to mention the song to anyone, as soon as they hear the song title, they automatically go straight to the Rainbow song.

So it always made me wonder, why change a great song title to a different title? Especially to a title that already has another version, of the same name, that's continued to get solid airplay since 1983. Still, doesn't change my opinion of how great I think the song is. Just one of those GNR things that makes me think why?

If you preferred Street Of Dreams to The Blues, you would be the only one.

No, I actually prefer the slowed-down, new version.

Sorry for you.
Hey, at least I got a studio version to listen to!
We have 2. The AQ leak and Evader's one that sounds like it came straight off an album.

If there ever was, I never heard why. Only thing I recall is that "The Blues" was the working title. I love this song. It's definitely among my top 10 GNR songs of all time. Lyrics are great. Two things about the name change that never made sense to were, #1 to me, it was the perfect name for that song. And #2, is the fact that there is already a classic rock song, of which has gotten, and continues to get, more radio air play than any song on Chinese Democracy called Street Of Dreams by Ritchie Blackmores' Rainbow. Point being, if you ever happen to mention the song to anyone, as soon as they hear the song title, they automatically go straight to the Rainbow song.

So it always made me wonder, why change a great song title to a different title? Especially to a title that already has another version, of the same name, that's continued to get solid airplay since 1983. Still, doesn't change my opinion of how great I think the song is. Just one of those GNR things that makes me think why?

I believe Axl said sometime during the chats that he changed the title because he sees it as an uplifting song, which "The Blues" doesn't really reflect at all. I may be mistaken, but I could swear he said something like this during the chats.

I don't see how it's an uplifting song lyrically. Musically, it kind of is, but the Finck solo, which on it's own is cool, is more November Rain-downbeat, and almost as out of place as Axl's vocals and lyrics. It's like Axl's vocals and lyrics and Finck's solo belong to a much better, November Rain-esque song that isn't so slow and boring. I love CD but this is the song I nearly always skip. I prefer the album version just because of the added outro lyrics and the removal of the random guitar lick that pops up in the intro and every now and again. This song is always the low point for me at gigs, was really happy they replaced it with Catcher.

I think generally I'm not a fan of happy Axl. TWAT, Madagascar, November Rain, Estranged, those are some of my favourite GNR songs. The only happy ones I like I guess would be SCOM (is Nightrain happy? That's more angry to me).

Edited by Amir

The 2002 era version was better for the tempo, the opening crunchy squealing guitars, and the synths in the chorus, to name a few things. In my opinion. Also Street of Dreams always make me think of a cheesy Rainbow song, which is not cool.

Edited by smoke