MYGNR EXCLUSIVE: BREAKING NEWS ON GNR PLANS FOR 2014

Guest NGOG

I tell you what I associate with Vegas? Pat Boone. Fuckin Pat Boone, Englebert Humperdick or whatever he is called, Tom Jones, The Osmonds. That is what Vegas represents.

The place is an artistic graveyard. It signifies that your artistry is 'up-the-shitter' and you are now a golden oldies act.

Your idea/impression of Vegas is outdated by roughly 40 years or so.

Agree 100%. There are some very antiquated notions of Vegas here, still.

Ali

I just wish they'd come to Europe to do a residency.

I don't think it's really than common this side of the pond. I can't think of any place it'd sell out consistently either. Maybe London or Berlin. Places that, like Vegas, attract huge loads of tourists every day. But other than that I don't see it really working. For most bands, not just GnR. Obviously the Stones or Springsteen or something could easily sell out a 2000-seat venue 10 nights in a row. But when you start talking bigger venues and smaller bands it's going to be very difficult.

Anybody know any band that has actually done this on a large scale in Europe?

Yes, artists other than old-school fuddy-duddies are now playing Vegas residencies: Britney, Def Lep, Crue, now GNR.

No, the currently-popular and successful artists do NOT play Vegas residencies. You'll never see Muse there, nor The Killers, nor Springsteen, nor U2, etc.

• Like 1

And Neil Young. You would not catch Neil at a Vegas residency. Britney is sort of a, recently washed up act. She has not been in her pomp since Oops I Did It Again. She had that period where she started hitting the bottle and shaved her head and her career has never fully recovered. The ironic thing is, if we go back to around 2001 and Slash had annouced a Vegas residency, the Axl fans would have crucified him, absolutely slaughtered him for it.

• Like 2

Garth Brooks is one of those American acts (Dave Matthews is another) who are massive in America but are not liked whatsoever in Britain. It is not so much that they are hated, more, they do not register at all. I honestly could not name one Garth Brooks song and there are probably Brits existing who have never heard the name, Garth Brooks.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Garth Brooks is one of those American acts (Dave Matthews is another) who are massive in America but are not liked whatsoever in Britain. It is not so much that they are hated, more, they do not register at all. I honestly could not name one Garth Brooks song and there are probably Brits existing who have never heard the name, Garth Brooks.

Wow, I honestly didn't know that. I know he's toured extensively around the world and will be doing so again in 2014 and I thought that included Britain as well.

My point overall is that the dude is far from washed up or whatever and he's been doing a Vegas run for several years now. The points made earlier stand well though; there are plenty of acts that are popular world wide that wouldn't do one these days.

Again, I know no one else here is a Garth Brooks fan outside of me but that dude is a big ass deal and he's doing a Vegas residency by choice.

No one cares, dork. :lol:

My parents loved his recent special! I think my mom even facebooked about it. We stayed home and watched a couple old episodes of Dexter instead.

For 80s people GNR are just another band with Motely, Kiss, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Tesla, Poison, Great White, Quiet Riot, Queensryche.

Its probably only more discerning classic rock fans who elevate Guns to Zepp or Stones league.

Although i think Guns are in that league they still have that sleazy fun sunset strip element and Axl isnt really a bohemian arist either. In fact Vehas seems like this current lineups spirtual home. Hopefully vegas inspires the next record.

Anyone remember Elvis?

The guy with "TCB" in his username sure as fuck does.

What does "TCB" stand for? Totally serious. I've always heard it in reference to Elvis, but I have no idea what it actually means.

"Takin' Care of Business in a Flash"

It's a long story for another thread, but it was Elvis' personal motto.

• Like 1