Would you trade spots with Axl?

Apollo

Would you trade lives with Axl?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know a few people will turn this into a argument-insult fest, or a chance to bash posters they don't like. Hopefully those people will stay away from the topic.

Somebody posted a form of this comment in another topic and I thought it might lead to some interesting discussion (if people can keep it civil).

If you had the power to trade lives with Axl Rose today, would you do it?

Meaning, you now become Axl Rose. You have his money, his song writing ability, his memories. But you also get Beta and her family, Jarmo, Del and that entire crew, warchild, etc. As well as his temper, insecurity and feeling like the entire world is out to get you.

And, you have to give up your current life. That means you no longer get to see your wife, gf, parents, children, etc.

You can't go back to your old life, as Axl, and try and win the love of your wife and convince people that you really are the "old" you. You get to have Axl's live - but have to 100% give up your own.

Would you do it?

(And I know, it's a crazy question that would never happen. In another topic somebody said that Axl has achieved more in life or is more successful than any of us ever will be. I feel that in some aspects he has - like making money. But in other aspect's he clearly hasn't - loving wife, kids, peace of mind, etc. And in this weird world where people worship celebrities.......well I'm curious to see if anybody on the forum actually would switch places with him).

• Like 1

How do you know he even believes in the institute of marriage? The question is problematic cause what we know about Axl's life is just the basics. We don't really know how he lives his life currently.

Also, the first thing you've mentioned as a success for Axl was money, but my guess is as an artist, the real success here was the music he created with Guns, but I guess it was just an example.

The peace of mind thing bothers me, cause again, you don't know anything about that. Axl seems to be in a much better place in recent years. It's all speculation imo.

I wouldn't trade lives with anyone. I got used to myself and my life and now it's kinda like that old smelly baseball glove you've grown to like and got used to, so you wouldn't want a 'better' or a brand new one.

Edited by Rovim

The plural form of "aspect" is "aspects," not "aspect's."

Thank you Popcorn.

Everybody loves internet grammar police. Especially on rock forums.

And as a head's up, you'll find lots of spelling and grammar mistakes in most of my posts. When I'm typing a topic while on break at work, or typing out a post on my phone while stuck in traffic, I really don't pay that much attention to proper grammar and I don't run a spellcheck or go back and edit what I just typed up. Thank God though, I suppose, that we have you here to do that!!! Dang. Sorry. I used three exclamation points instead of just one. I know that bothers you. Sorry, I'll try and take things more srsly in the future.

Maybe PM me your grammar police findings in the future and not clutter up actual topics with posts that have nothing to do with the actual topic, and then you can post your thoughts on the topic in the actual topic? Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

To me you can't really ever say "I want to be another human being"

You can want some of their skills or some of their achievements for yourself but to be really want to have their mind and be them is too far.

I'd want to be me but with Axl's singing / writing ability, or I'd want to be me but with Axl's financial success. I would never want to not be me in terms of my mind and my own thinking and so on.

An interesting related question though is how far would a person go into the "negatives" of Axl's life to have the positives? For example, he has two ended marriages, he was abused as a child - it's obvious he has in his time suffered significantly in certain areas - then again - compared to many "regular joe" type workforce people his life as a famous musician is somewhat alluring.

I think at the end of the day it's a grass is greener thing. In some ways Axl would probably envy aspects of "normal" people's lives - but I bet there's parts he'd hate too. Just as for us on a superficial level there's a ton of awesome things about being rich and famous and so on - but there's probably nasty stuff too.

• Like 1

Thank you Popcorn.

And as a head's up, you'll find lots of spelling and grammar mistakes in most of my posts. When I'm typing a topic while on break at work, or typing out a post on my phone while stuck in traffic, I really don't pay that much attention to proper grammar and I don't run a spellcheck or go back and edit what I just typed up. Thank God though, I suppose, that we have you here to do that!!! Dang. Sorry. I used three exclamation points instead of just one. I know that bothers you. Sorry, I'll try and take things more srsly in the future.

Maybe PM me your grammar police findings in the future and not clutter up actual topics with posts that have nothing to do with the actual topic, and then you can post your thoughts on the topic in the actual topic? Just a suggestion.

Off topic : might be wrong but if my memory serves me correctly, i seem to remember you saying in a few posts that you live on an island, which requires a plane to get on and off of... how do you get stuck in traffic on a remote island? lol im sure theres a valid explanation and im not takin a shot at you... just genuinely curious :shrugs:

On topic : i wouldnt trade spots with axl only cuz hes 20 years older than me... and no amount of fame n fortune is worth 20 years off my life... just my opinion tho

Thank you Popcorn.

Oh hey sorry! I remembered you have said you're an acclaimed writer and had won awards, so I thought you'd be appreciative of me pointing out you used the possessive form instead of the plural. I didn't mean to clutter up your thread with that one sentence. My bad.

On topic:

I don't think I'd trade places with Axl. Because then, Axl wouldn't be Axl. In fact, I wouldn't want Axl to trade places with anyone for that matter.

Thank you Popcorn.

Oh hey sorry! I remembered you have said you're an acclaimed writer and had won awards, so I thought you'd be appreciative of me pointing out you used the possessive form instead of the plural. I didn't mean to clutter up your thread with that one sentence. My bad.

On topic:

I don't think I'd trade places with Axl. Because then, Axl wouldn't be Axl. In fact, I wouldn't want Axl to trade places with anyone for that matter.

Nice try. Weird how you have to lie and over exaggerate to try and insult people. Why not just come and chat with other gnr fans? You are the exact poster I was talking about when I said somebody would hijack this topic.

I've never once said I was an "acclaimed" writer or that I had won awards. So why would you lie about that? Why do you twist around what people say?

I've had a book published, that sold about 2,000 copies. It was done as a fund raiser for a local high school. $20 a copy, they made a nice chunk of change, I had fun writing it, and people seem to have enjoyed it.

I went to college for journalism and have worked at several newspapers.

To you, that means I'm saying I am an acclaimed writer who has won awards?

Dude, why are you so bitter all the time?

My apologies, sir. I wasn't trying to insult you or exaggerate. You're an author, okay- I must've forgotten. My fault. And, next time I'll pm ya about grammatical errors, like you suggested. Let's not clutter up or hijack the topic now.

Now back on topic:

What makes Axl Axl is Axl. No one else. If someone traded places with Axl, things would be irrevocably changed. It wouldn't be genuine anymore. It wouldn't be Axl anymore. You see, despite Axl's eccentricities and mercurial behavior, it is precisely those traits which also created Guns n Roses and helped create many of the songs we know and love. Axl's fiery mindset is to "blame" for both the good and the bad. Personally, I think he's a very interesting artist. But, you can't have Axl without his unique personality.

Yes I would, because a) I like the idea of being a rich and influential man and b) anything sounds better than the drudgery of housework and child rearing. However I imagine in time I would realise that just like everyone else Axl has his crosses to bear although I do feel I might bear the weight of his struggles slightly easier in his private jet than my battered old Vauxhall.

C'est la vie.

Yes I would, because a) I like the idea of being a rich and influential man and b) anything sounds better than the drudgery of housework and child rearing. However I imagine in time I would realise that just like everyone else Axl has his crosses to bear although I do feel I might bear the weight of his struggles slightly easier in his private jet than my battered old Vauxhall.

C'est la vie.

Je n'aime pas la vie.

Thank you Popcorn.

On topic:

Nice try. Weird how you have to lie and over exaggerate to try and insult people. Why not just come and chat with other gnr fans? You are the exact poster I was talking about when I said somebody would hijack this topic.

I've never once said I was an "acclaimed" writer or that I had won awards. So why would you lie about that? Why do you twist around what people say?

I've had a book published, that sold about 2,000 copies. It was done as a fund raiser for a local high school. $20 a copy, they made a nice chunk of change, I had fun writing it, and people seem to have enjoyed it.

I went to college for journalism and have worked at several newspapers.

To you, that means I'm saying I am an acclaimed writer who has won awards?

Dude, why are you so bitter all the time?

Cause Axl is the perfect human beingand anyone who says otherwise is clearly insane....

On topic, I don't think I would trade places with the guy. He clearly has some issues and has lost touch with reality.

Edited by Young_Gun