Hypothetical: Do you think Axl, Izzy, and Steven would have made better music than Slash, Duff, and Matt?

saber_

Steven and Matt's involvement would be inconsequential as it pertains to the question, but there is no doubt that Axl/Izzy as a songwriting team would be/were a better writing duo than Slash/Duff. Just based on the past that is clear. Generally speaking, the weakest songs and arrangements were Duff songs- especially on the Illusions records. I think Slash is a great guitarist, but his solo career has demonstrated his lack of songwriting ability and the only times I've really gotten into his post-GNR work was when Izzy was involved in some capacity.

Axl and Izzy hands down.

No diggity, no doubt.

Yes.

But it's kind of an unfair comparison without saying who the singer would be for Slash/Duff's group.

Axl's group will get the edge simply because of his voice, before anything else is even debated.

I guess the best answer is that Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff together would make the best music of any hypothetical line-up.

Steven and Matt's involvement would be inconsequential as it pertains to the question,

Well I would disagree. Steven and Matt have very distinct styles in comparison to eachother, and for some of us (me), Steven's contributions are very important to the equation. More cowbell. Also, i prefer the way Steven's snare drum sounds.

Steven and Matt's involvement would be inconsequential as it pertains to the question, but there is no doubt that Axl/Izzy as a songwriting team would be/were a better writing duo than Slash/Duff.

Without Steven you're left with the nucleus of Hollywood Rose, and that didn't really set the world on fire.

Axl and Izzy definitely. I would love to see them write music today together. I think Axl and Izzy have an understanding of each other and it would be cool to see what songs they could come up with.

I've heard some Slash stuff and honestly it sounds a lot like early GNR, especially the guitar parts, except for the singer - he sucks.

Steven and Matt's involvement would be inconsequential as it pertains to the question,

Well I would disagree. Steven and Matt have very distinct styles in comparison to eachother, and for some of us (me), Steven's contributions are very important to the equation. More cowbell. Also, i prefer the way Steven's snare drum sounds.

I was approaching the question in terms of would be contributions to the writing process more so than the performance aspect of it.

I don't see how this is going to be much of a discussion.

It's going slow, but we're working on it.

Stradlin´/Rose. Was it slow enough? ;)

It only took you 42 minutes from the posting of the thread. Definitely not slow enough.

Damm! Next time I see an OP like this one I´m gonna try in slow motion. I promise :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I don't see how this is going to be much of a discussion.

It's going slow, but we're working on it.

Stradlin´/Rose. Was it slow enough? ;)

It only took you 42 minutes from the posting of the thread. Definitely not slow enough.

Damm! Next time I see an OP like this one I´m gonna try in slow motion. I promise :thumbsup:

Practice makes perfect.

• Like 1

Not to be a dick, and I know it's only hypothetical, but I think the key to this equation is personality.

I think Matt, Slash and Duff could write and record an album together. Assuming they can agree on what to do about a singer, it's reasonable to believe they can agree on a musical direction, record it and co operate long enough to get it out.

Izzy and Axl and steven on the other hand I'm not so sure about. Firstly - Steven and Axl don't seem to have got on in a VERY long time. The only way there's even a chance of steven working out would be if this project is done as GNR and Steven is begged to come back as the "real drummer" of GNR. Then he'd come but how long until he breaks Axl's balls about bringing back Slash/Duff etc. Frankly, steven doesn't really mitigate his thoughts and he could call Axl on anything he didn't like, this combined with Axl's personality, and stevens own behaviours seems like it would implode in a very short time.

Then you have Izzy - frankly he's so traumatised from being in Axl's band previously that he not only walked out of GNR at their prime, but he subsequently quit Velvet Revolver when he found out there was going to be a frontman. His entire post GNR history paints him as somewhat transient and a happy go lucky dude who does what he feels like it when he feels like it. Showing up and playing a couple of songs is one thing - but an extended project like developing a new record or band is entirely different. Then even if you could get Izzy to drop in and just hand over some songs for Axl to work on before Izzy bails - the reality is that Axl's timeframes would cause the project to be decades old before it surfaces. In 1995 Axl and Izzy did record together - Down by the Ocean - where is the song 18 years later?

So yeah - I know you guys are aiming at the "who is the better writer" but I think you can't look at that without asking the follow up "who would actually write".

Its funny to see a fairly simple question get twisted and turned into these convoluted answers- especially the guy going on about how traumatized Izzy is from being in a band w/Axl. If I'm not mistaken hasn't/doesn't Izzy play with GNR on a semi-frequent basis for the past 7-8 years? Hey, whatever fits your particular version of reality is alright w/me.

A whole lot of diggity

• Like 1

Its funny to see a fairly simple question get twisted and turned into these convoluted answers- especially the guy going on about how traumatized Izzy is from being in a band w/Axl. If I'm not mistaken hasn't/doesn't Izzy play with GNR on a semi-frequent basis for the past 7-8 years? Hey, whatever fits your particular version of reality is alright w/me.

Or maybe you should look at the reality.

Izzy is happy to play an occasional show with Axl when he is paid to appear and he does 2 or 3 old songs.

He wrote "Down by the Ocean" in 1995 with Axl but it still has not been released after 18 years.

Izzy has spoken about how since GNR he doesn't want to be in a band with a frontman and quit VR for that very reason.