Listening to Appetite...

classicguns4life

Probably the album I listen to the least now. I listen to Spaghetti far more frequently. Not a knock on the record. Its kind of like a live in girlfriend. I've already heard everything she has to say. I know what she's gonna say before she says it. Yeah I love her and she's still beautiful, but the grass is always greener. Its comforting to know that she's there.

Little bit of diggity here and there

Listening to AFD is always a serious experience for me. After listening to it nonstop for a long time (years ago), I now listen to it only every once in a while, and it still stuns me---especially when I consider that these were just 5 random kids who found each other and became something they could never be if they were alone.

AFD will always be an arresting listen for me. And keep in mind, I just spent the evening listening to my favorite Mozart compositions. I readily put AFD up there with anything that the greats ever did.

And no, Bumblefoot has nothing to do with it.

For the record, Appetite is not my favorite GNR album. For me, its Lies. Just saying, when in the right mood, and blasting Appetite, that IS Guns N Roses. And even though I know every single note of the album, occasionally it does seep in that this was one of the most amazing bands ever. I don't think any other album represents them quite as good as the debut.

For the record, Appetite is not my favorite GNR album. For me, its Lies. Just saying, when in the right mood, and blasting Appetite, that IS Guns N Roses. And even though I know every single note of the album, occasionally it does seep in that this was one of the most amazing bands ever. I don't think any other album represents them quite as good as the debut.

Appetite represents them as a band, but Illusions represents them more as individual artists. I like Lies, but I don't really think of it as an "album." It seems like more an EP with a few recycled throwaways. It feels like a stop-gap to buy time until they got their act together to record a proper follow-up, but there are 4-5 classic mainstays on there and it did sort of act as an evolutionary conduit between lp's. Its the most bluesy of their material... and they never really seemed to go there again sonically so I definitely think it has merit.

Listening to AFD is always a serious experience for me. After listening to it nonstop for a long time (years ago), I now listen to it only every once in a while, and it still stuns me---especially when I consider that these were just 5 random kids who found each other and became something they could never be if they were alone.

AFD will always be an arresting listen for me. And keep in mind, I just spent the evening listening to my favorite Mozart compositions. I readily put AFD up there with anything that the greats ever did.

That was some tacked on bullshit wasn't it?

• Like 1

Appetite for Destruction is an amazing album and always will be. One of the best rock n roll albums I have ever heard.

I stopped listening to it for a few years but when I got it on vinyl last year for Christmas I started playing it like crazy again!

Guest Len B'stard

I can't really listen to it anymore but then i've been listening to it for almost 20 years and thats a helluva lot of listening, i've bought it about 5 times over, dubbed it, downloaded it, all sorts. But the fact that I can't hack it has more to do with it being one of like, 3 or 4 albums that i just listened listened to nothing but of for a good few years.

It's a rarity, those odd fuckin' albums where the right amount of chemical fuckin' mixture of the proper elements came together from the proper people and released a flat out fantastic album. At it's best points it is transcedent and at it's worst point (Anything Goes) it is still a seriously rockin' album. Pure 10/10.

That was some tacked on bullshit wasn't it?

I was gonna say, it seems like this guy enjoys attacking the current band more than celebrating the old one...

It's rare that I listen to AFD from start to finish these days. I do it, probably once or twice a year. But I do listen to Nightrain, Rocket Queen and It's so Easy quite often.

My favourite rock album of all time and my 2nd favourite GN'R record.

Guest cbgnr666

It is what it is a great rock album,but it's not something I wanna hear anymore except at a live show. Other than that alot of the songs I liked when I was younger don't connect in the same way anymore,same with alot of the Illusion stuff I used to think was the cats meow.

Appetite is part of the classics in the rock canon. Over time it has taken it's place next to back in black and zeppelin II. However, a careful cutting down of Use Your Illusion with not as obnoxious production could have made it there as well.

Personally, appetite doesn't speak to me like it did when I was 14-15. Many bits of it sound dated and I cringe at " turn around bitch I have a use for you," but I still enjoy it and acknowledge it's importance.