Listening to Appetite...

classicguns4life

Nightrain to me, is like the perfect Gn'R song. Every member in the band brings to the table something truly great, and it just represents what the band was about so well.

As an album, it has the right attitude, flow, sound, great songs, and they just got what rock n' roll was about. Also, it has one of the best intro songs ever and that epic outro in Rocket Queen just leaves you amazed at the quality.

Like others have said, it's not my favorite Guns record, but it's the best one for sure.

Edited by Rovim

Probably the best album of the 80s after Thriller.

Rush's "Moving Pictures" is pretty hard to beat.

AFD is easily better than Moving Pictures, and miles better than thriller.

Counterparts > Moving Pictures btw

80s Rush in general is severely lacking. Too much reliance on keyboards and hooks. Not much to do with what made Rush great in the first place.

• Like 1

Appetite is THE GNR album. Although I listen to the Illusions a bit more nowadays I think that Appetite is the top of the top for GNR

It is a perfect example of why what the band is now just isn't the same. Don't get me wrong I dig CD and the current band.... but back then the guys who made up GNR were on a whole another level and personally I would say that level has yet to be surpassed. And it probably won't be surpassed again, but that's alright because we have Appetite and the Illusions to bust out at any time.

Edited by WhazUp

...but that's alright because we have Appetite and the Illusions to bust out at any time.

Even then, even though there's moments in the Illussions, overall those albums don't belong in the same conversation as Appetite.

I agree, although that was more of my just feeling that GNR as a whole back then from 86-94 was just so amazing and isn't the same entity now and the Illusions were a part of that amazing legacy. Although yeah Appetite is IMO the top of the top

...but that's alright because we have Appetite and the Illusions to bust out at any time.

Even then, even though there's moments in the Illussions, overall those albums don't belong in the same conversation as Appetite.

Well, more then moments: A lot of brilliant songs. Too many to put in just one album. The double album thing was not a case of just putting crap next to great songs just for the sake of releasing a double. (for the most part, My World is an exception for example)

It wasn't nearly as strong as an album, but even the filler on it was cool imo. Many Gn'R fans love what is considered to be weak by others.

Also, it was more ambitious imo. The lyrics were better in some songs, Slash's solos were just as good if not better compared to the AFD solos, and the structure of the songs was more interesting to me.

What really hurt the quality was the lack of guitar interplay between Izzy and Slash. That was so important to the sound of Appetite. Sorum was not a great fit for the band too imo.

I think it does belong in the same conversation. It has it's advantages over Appetite, even if it's not as good as a whole.

Edited by Rovim

The cool and kinda weird thing about AFD is that no other band really created something similar post old Guns, let alone captured a similar result in that style or have taken the same approach and actually nailed it like Guns did.

And no, Buckcherry's debut was not good enough. They tried, but it wasn't as ambitious or consistent.

Appetite is the masterpiece that I think all bands should strive for, music would be a lot better if they did. Every album should have three songs that are bonafide "hits" upon first hearing them (jungle, paradise, SCOM). Then it needs 3~5 songs that are "almost" as good as the hits, but not quite as "radio friendly" (ISE, Nightrain, brownstone, my michele, and rocket queen). Finally the "filler" tracks should also be good enough that they are still enjoyable to listen to despite their "filler" status (anything goes, out ta get me, you're crazy, and think about you).

I know I make it sound so simple, but really it is. If you have to listen to an album over and over again to finally enjoy certain songs, than they are not hits. Honestly who here didn't like jungle, paradise, scom, nr, dont cry, ycbm, and others upon first hearing them? They were just that damn good of songs.

It's just the perfect album imo, completly flawless and completly timeless. More musicans should be influnced by it imo.

I can listen to AFD, Lies, UYI I&II any time. I never get tired of it. I don't listen to them nonstop but this is one of those "If you were stuck on a deserted island and could only bring 1 CD to listen to, what would it be?" things. I can pick any of the above. I like TSI and CD as well but I don't get the same vibe. AFD and UYI II particularly give me that adrenaline rush, that need for speed, the complete inability to NOT sing along at the top of my lungs. All the "cool kids" are rapping along to *insert popular rap artist here* and I'm belting out NightTrain in the next car. You know why? Because a) in 6 months, the song they are singing will be "sooo old" b) AFD is classic and will always sound fresh and c) because I fuckin' can. I grew up on AFD. I was 6 or 7 years old when it came out and my mom bought it. That was the soundtrack to my childhood.

Edited by DangerousCurves
  • Like 1