Post a picture of how you imagine other forum members to be

wfuckinga

Hobbies and interests which are far more expensive than book collecting (unless you're discussing first folios!): computer games (total rip-off this pastime); fashion, shoes, watches and aftershaves and such like; cinema (these days - used to be cheap); concerts (Guns N' Roses - crickey!!); foreign travel; restaurants; pubs, clubs and bars. Out of that bunch, I only do the latter three intermittently. I ditched cinema for torrents. My booze intake is now a trickle. Restaurants? Once in a blue moon. Travel occasionally but I'm not exactly Powerage or Soul.

Here for instance you can buy all 10 beautiful looking volumes of Caryle's Frederick the Great for only £45 (£4.50 per book),

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Complete-Set-of-10-Frederick-The-Great-Books-By-Thomas-Carlyle/293677380289?hash=item44608932c1:g:mrUAAOSw2GdfKo12

£45. That is a night out where I live. It wouldn't even be a night out in London - it would barely be a pint haha!! 

Not then the dearest pastime, collecting books, irrespective of the other arguments pertaining the accessibility, convenience and requiring them for academic and/or professional research.

PS

Vintage books despoiled the forests 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 200 years ago, 300 years ago..... 

All you are doing is giving them a home. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Another cool thing about library books is that sometimes someone writes a little remark on the page, which is not allowed, but I guess no big deal. The other day I was reading a fictional book about the 1930s and a character was riding a type of moped and someone had written ''1930s?'' next to it with a pencil. So I looked it up and apparently that type of moped hadn't been invented yet in the 1930s. Had I been reading a new book I wouldn't have found out about this total trivial fact!

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

But as I said, I actually collect vintage books for the aesthetic appeal of them, i.e., I collect them in the same way one would collect vinyl or old American comics. 

Hahaha I've had people calling me crazy for doing the same thing! Glad to hear there are more collectors like this :lol:

I also love extremely outdated books about things like biology, science or geography.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You would piss it away on the Arsenal and inevitably lose it!

Seriously, what exactly can you do with 45 quid, what constitutes a night out?  Trip to the cinema and a curry after? :lol:   I could get you 5 pints out of 25 quid plus 20 quid leftover for a cheap nosh up.  Arsenal tickets cost a lot more than 45 quid!

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Seriously, what exactly can you do with 45 quid, what constitutes a night out?  Trip to the cinema and a curry after? :lol:   I could get you 5 pints out of 25 quid plus 20 quid leftover for a cheap nosh up.  Arsenal tickets cost a lot more than 45 quid!

£7 for the kebab. £15 for your taxi. Rest on booze. 

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Hobbies and interests which are far more expensive than book collecting (unless you're discussing first folios!): computer games (total rip-off this pastime); fashion, shoes, watches and aftershaves and such like; cinema (these days - used to be cheap); concerts (Guns N' Roses - crickey!!); foreign travel; restaurants; pubs, clubs and bars. Out of that bunch, I only do the latter three intermittently. I ditched cinema for torrents. My booze intake is now a trickle. Restaurants? Once in a blue moon. Travel occasionally but I'm not exactly Powerage or Soul.

Here for instance you can buy all 10 beautiful looking volumes of Caryle's Frederick the Great for only £45 (£4.50 per book),

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Complete-Set-of-10-Frederick-The-Great-Books-By-Thomas-Carlyle/293677380289?hash=item44608932c1:g:mrUAAOSw2GdfKo12

£45. That is a night out where I live. It wouldn't even be a night out in London - it would barely be a pint haha!! 

Not then the dearest pastime, collecting books, irrespective of the other arguments pertaining the accessibility, convenience and requiring them for academic and/or professional research.

PS

Vintage books despoiled the forests 50 years ago, 100 years ago, 200 years ago, 300 years ago..... 

All you are doing is giving them a home. 

It's not only about the money, what is illogical to me is spending money on something you can get for free. I understand the appeal of owning books, it's not like I don't have many books lying around my place, but unless it's something really special, like my favourite book in the world, I don't see why I couldn't get as much joy out of a borrowed book. It's the same with DVD... why still buy a DVD when you can download or stream the same movie for free just as easily? Unless you want to financially support the people involved in the movie, I suppose that's a good thing...

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

It's not only about the money, what is illogical to me is spending money on something you can get for free. I understand the appeal of owning books, it's not like I don't have many books lying around my place, but unless it's something really special, like my favourite book in the world, I don't see why I couldn't get as much joy out of a borrowed book. It's the same with DVD... why still buy a DVD when you can download or stream the same movie for free just as easily? Unless you want to financially support the people involved in the movie, I suppose that's a good thing...

Why do people spend £80 on a Guns ticket when they can merely stick on Appetite which they either already own or can pick up for £2 second hand? Why go to sports when you can watch it on telly - free if you are pirating a stream. Why go to a restaurant when you can have beans on toast at home? Why travel abroad when you can just walk around your local area for free? Why buy a Rolex when you can get a Casio? Why a cinema ticket in this day and age when you can just pirate the film? Why buy a £50 computer game when you can get the old moth eaten Monopoly set out of the loft?

We all have our ''thing''.  

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Well in that case I could get you handsomely pissed on 45 quid if all you want at the end of the night is a dirty Doner :lol:

You are trying to factor in the prostitute?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You are trying to factor in the prostitute?

I tried to work half a gram of coke into one of my potential calculations but it was working out as a shit night :lol:  Unless you fancied going halves on a bottle of blended whiskey and bricking the rugby club windows, which at the age of 17 was something of a good night for me :lol:

• Haha 1

I don't like books that've been read and fingered by dozens of other people. Yuck. So I stopped going to the library. For lack of space, I'm mostly buying e-books nowadays, though I do love a real book. But Kindle is so much more practical. 

And I like to support the arts. So I buy music and I buy books.

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why do people spend £80 on a Guns ticket when they can merely stick on Appetite which they either already own or can pick up for £2 second hand? Why go to sports when you can watch it on telly - free if you are pirating a stream. Why go to a restaurant when you can have beans on toast at home? Why travel abroad when you can just walk around your local area for free? Why buy a Rolex when you can get a Casio? Why a cinema ticket in this day and age when you can just pirate the film? Why buy a £50 computer game when you can get the old moth eaten Monopoly set out of the loft?

We all have our ''thing''.  

But those examples are totally different... you get something for it in return, an experience, excitement, whatever, something you can't get without paying for it. But then again, I suppose you get excitement out of buying a book and after reading it, putting it on your shelf and then staring at your collection, right? (at least that's how I am imagining it) So I guess then it does make sense for you to buy it. In my case, and this surely applies to a lot of people, there's no point in paying for something and maybe never reading it again and putting it on the shelf for it hardly ever to be touched again while you could have read the exact same words for free instead. 

10 minutes ago, Lio said:

I don't like books that've been read and fingered by dozens of other people. Yuck.

#neat freak

Edited by EvanG

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Jesus Lio, they turn the pages not rub their balls over em :lol: 

P.S.  Dennis Bergkamp might be coming home :)  To North London that is.

That's like Howard Hughes' philosophy ... then you should be afraid to touch anything, imagine touching a shopping cart or anything else during the day that thousands of people have touched before you.

19 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

GnR I'm not arsed about seeing anymore unless I can get a cheap ticket and I'm making a day of it with a bunch of mates. Bizarrely the last two times I've seen GnR in the UK were in London and they actually spoiled the night for me. I was having a great time in the pubs during the day then we went to the concert and all I wanted to do was stay in the pub. By the time the gig first gig finished because of Axl's fucking tardiness we'd missed the tube back from Greenwich and all the fucking pubs were shut (same shit happened that time in Newcastle where he left the stage after getting a £ thrown at him). Most recent gig was at the West Ham stadium and we couldn't get a tube for hours after the show by which time the pubs were shut again.

Restaurants are great at the moment what with Rishi's 1/2 price thing. I went out to eat Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday last week and stuffed my face for pennies. Thai on Monday, Italian on Tuesday and Maccy D's for lunch on Wednesday with Mexican for dinner. Currently looking at the list of restaurant in town to see where I'm going for my tea tonight. :lol:   

Computer games I think are pretty good value if you know what to buy. I think £50 isn't too bad for 150 to 200 hours of entertainment. It's a lot better than a fiver to go to the cinema for a couple of hours.

9 minutes ago, Dazey said:

GnR I'm not arsed about seeing anymore unless I can get a cheap ticket and I'm making a day of it with a bunch of mates. Bizarrely the last two times I've seen GnR in the UK were in London and they actually spoiled the night for me. I was having a great time in the pubs during the day then we went to the concert and all I wanted to do was stay in the pub. By the time the gig first gig finished because of Axl's fucking tardiness we'd missed the tube back from Greenwich and all the fucking pubs were shut (same shit happened that time in Newcastle where he left the stage after getting a £ thrown at him). Most recent gig was at the West Ham stadium and we couldn't get a tube for hours after the show by which time the pubs were shut again.

Restaurants are great at the moment what with Rishi's 1/2 price thing. I went out to eat Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday last week and stuffed my face for pennies. Thai on Monday, Italian on Tuesday and Maccy D's for lunch on Wednesday with Mexican for dinner. Currently looking at the list of restaurant in town to see where I'm going for my tea tonight. :lol:   

Computer games I think are pretty good value if you know what to buy. I think £50 isn't too bad for 150 to 200 hours of entertainment. It's a lot better than a fiver to go to the cinema for a couple of hours.

Stop fucking eat.  Seriously, stop fucking eating you fat cunt, you don't wanna get type 2 diabetes at your age, you've had a good run, stop taking the fucking piss now, how good can food possibly taste, its a momentary thing, tasting (said the actress to the bishop) just get used to the healthy horrible tasting shite before your fuckin' norks cast a shadow that your arse struggles to follow.  You looked cool in those Libertine days (the band), why you wanna end up looking like Benny Hill for?

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, EvanG said:

But those examples are totally different... you get something for it in return, an experience, excitement, whatever, something you can't get without paying for it. But then again, I suppose you get excitement out of buying a book and after reading it, putting it on your shelf and then staring at your collection, right? (at least that's how I am imagining it) So I guess then it does make sense for you to buy it. In my case, and this surely applies to a lot of people, there's no point in paying for something and maybe never reading it again and putting it on the shelf for it hardly ever to be touched again while you could have read the exact same words for free instead. 

All the books I keep, I will read again, or consult if I am doing research. My collection is constantly perused. 

6 minutes ago, Dazey said:

My god! This is gormandizing on a whole other level!

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Jesus Lio, they turn the pages not rub their balls over em :lol: 

P.S.  Dennis Bergkamp might be coming home :)  To North London that is.

I read a while back that he'd love to come back to Arsenal. Always been my favorite Dutch player. That goal versus Newcastle is legendary.

Also, this man made him even more of a legend :lol::

https://youtu.be/XsZkCFoqSBs

Edited by YOUCOULDBEMINE.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

An outright Brexiteer?

(Dazey) ''Bollocks to the common market and European solidarity: Rishi gives us cheap grub''.

I must have saved a good £150 in the last couple of weeks on nosh. That's got to be worth anybody's vote surely? :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I must have saved a good £150 in the last couple of weeks on nosh. That's got to be worth anybody's vote surely? :lol: 

See how principled this remainer is!

I thought you were dieting? I thought your wife had you on some green gunge like the LA lot? Although you ate sushi so that is in accordance.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

See how principled this remainer is!

I thought you were dieting? I thought your wife had you on some green gunge like the LA lot? Although you ate sushi so that is in accordance.

It's still possible to diet and eat at decent restaurants so I'm told. :lol: