You've Got 12 Songs, Which Do You Pick?

IRanOutOfIdeas

It was put out as a single and charted I think. I think that's how the label decided on sales or chart position. Even Sympathy charted. Not sure about Easy or Nightrain. Whereas Brownstone was never a single so wouldn't.

I think Ain't it Fun was top 10 in the UK.

Dead Horse, Garden of Eden, The Garden had some kind of single releases.

I was listening to those 3 songs last night Symptahy, Since, Aint it Fun - sound pretty good!

Exactly, I think Greatest Hits albums are supposed to be composed of singles that were released and charted (easy way for labels to make money off of songs the public has already liked).

What they should really do is like "The Essential Guns N' Roses" or something like that. Then you don't have to worry about if something was a single, if it charted, how much radio play it got, and you can fill it with songs that get played all the time and fans love.

From wikipedia

"The Album is set to be re-released in 2014 with Yesterdays Live and Let Die and Sympathy for the Devil taken off and featuring their hits from Chinese Democracy and their new album."

I doubt it's true. They wouldn't put stuff from a future album on a Greatest hits CD.

IF it were true, they would probably release the 3 songs with OMG, CD, and Better.

1) Welcome to the Jungle

2) It's so Easy

3) Paradise city

4) Sweet Child of Mine

5) Rocket Queen

6) Patience

7) Civil War

8) Don't Cry

9) Get in the Ring

10) November Rain

11) Cather in the Rye

12) Prostitute

I have not thought about the order, but tonight, these songs are my choice

From wikipedia

"The Album is set to be re-released in 2014 with Yesterdays Live and Let Die and Sympathy for the Devil taken off and featuring their hits from Chinese Democracy and their new album."

I doubt it's true. They wouldn't put stuff from a future album on a Greatest hits CD.

IF it were true, they would probably release the 3 songs with OMG, CD, and Better.

Crüe put 2 SOLA (which was released in 2008) songs (SOLA and If I Die Tomorrow) on Greate$t Hits (The '08 version), so it's possible something from ChiD II will be on GH II

It was put out as a single and charted I think. I think that's how the label decided on sales or chart position. Even Sympathy charted. Not sure about Easy or Nightrain. Whereas Brownstone was never a single so wouldn't.

I think Ain't it Fun was top 10 in the UK.

Dead Horse, Garden of Eden, The Garden had some kind of single releases.

I was listening to those 3 songs last night Symptahy, Since, Aint it Fun - sound pretty good!

Exactly, I think Greatest Hits albums are supposed to be composed of singles that were released and charted (easy way for labels to make money off of songs the public has already liked).

What they should really do is like "The Essential Guns N' Roses" or something like that. Then you don't have to worry about if something was a single, if it charted, how much radio play it got, and you can fill it with songs that get played all the time and fans love.

A Best of gives you free reign, a bit like Live Era.

Nightrain Brownstone, Easy, Estranged, Crazy, Used to, Rockwt Queen would be on that I guess.

I would assume that wiki entry is from a wishful thinking fan.

Why would anyone wish for something can just make a playlist. It sounds a bit like Appetite for Democracy.

I would assume that wiki entry is from a wishful thinking fan.

, Crazy, Used to, Rockwt Queen would be on that I guess.
Why would anyone wish for something can just make a playlist. It sounds a bit like Appetite for Democracy.

The part of the wiki entry that says that a Greatest Hits re-issue would include tracks from "their new album".

As much criticism that the greatest hits release gets, I'd say it's a list of songs that would make an average listener want more. But for a best of package, I'd say it should be 2 discs, first one showing the transformation in sound since Appetite, including Coma, Estranged, Better, Street of Dreams, IRS. The second disc would emphasise what a great live band GN'R have always been, having the recordings from the Late Show in '88 all the way through to This I Love from Reading. Great idea IMO, would give average listeners a great introduction to Guns N' Roses.

Edited by DeanoR

As much criticism that the greatest hits release gets, I'd say it's a list of songs that would make an average listener want more. But for a best of package, I'd say it should be 2 discs, first one showing the transformation in sound since Appetite, including Coma, Estranged, Better, Street of Dreams, IRS. The second disc would emphasise what a great live band GN'R have always been, having the recordings from the Late Show in '88 all the way through to This I Love from Reading. Great idea IMO, would give average listeners a great introduction to Guns N' Roses.

I definitely think that a new GNR Greatest Hits should be two-discs because there's definitely enough material for it. Instead of an introduction though, I'd really like to see this one be a comprehensive package, you know, the literal BEST OF GNR. I'd love to see a Deluxe Edition with a third, Live at the Ritz disc. Also, if the band doesn't end making a new album, they can add a few new songs onto the set to appeal to the diehards (Can't really expect too much nowadays).

But I really think that if a two-disc set was made in a chronological order, the pacing would be terrible. Naturally, GNR has evolved as a band and the songs have gotten more and more dense, longer, and produced. It'd become a bit taxing of a listen for casual fans as such. You gotta be able to space it out with AFD songs to make it a bit more cohesive.

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas

I definitely think that a new GNR Greatest Hits should be two-discs because there's definitely enough material for it. Instead of an introduction though, I'd really like to see this one be a comprehensive package, you know, the literal BEST OF GNR. I'd love to see a Deluxe Edition with a third, Live at the Ritz disc. Also, if the band doesn't end making a new album, they can add a few new songs onto the set to appeal to the diehards (Can't really expect too much nowadays).

But I really think that if a two-disc set was made in a chronological order, the pacing would be terrible. Naturally, GNR has evolved as a band and the songs have gotten more and more dense, longer, and produced. It'd become a bit taxing of a listen for casual fans as such. You gotta be able to space it out with AFD songs to make it a bit more cohesive.

My choice of words are wrong. I didn't mean for it to come across that it would be in chronological order, but I'd like to see it set out in a way which it will be a well thought-out chosen selection which will show how diverse GN'R are and have all the albums spread out in a nice way, rather than having the first 3 tracks from Appetite etc. Rocket Queen from Live Era would top the list on the second disc. An unbelievable recording. Studio or not.

If it's gonna be a Greatest Hits album then go with their best known songs:

off AFD: Welcome to the jungle, Sweet child o mine, Paradise City, plus some of these: Mr Brownstone, Nightrain, It's so easy, My Michelle, Rocket Queen (probably the first two)

off Lies: Patience, Used to love her

off UYI 1: November Rain, Live and let die, Don't cry

off UYI 2: Civil war, You could be mine, Knockin on heavens door

and that fits into a CD length (it's 70 minutes with Brownstone and Nightrain, so you could fit Since I don't have You in there too).