Reason for all the covers songs played live.

volcano62

Rosie

Seeker

Riff Raff

DLIBYD

Live and let die

etc...

I often hear people complaining about the covers. The reason for the covers is that some GNR material (mostly UYI) doesn't inspire Axl to perform at the level he wants to.

Remember in that interview, he said he played songs like Riff Raff to get into the zone or something like that.

All this means is that GNR needs a new album with solid material with rockers if we want to covers to go away.

Did Axl tell you this? You're comfortable speaking on which pieces of guns n roses material inspires Axl?

They've always done a boatload of covers. They do it because they like it. You might be right that the covers get them all jazzed up but it's pretty presumptuous to conclude that songs from UYI don't inspire Axl to perform.

Did Axl tell you this? You're comfortable speaking on which pieces of guns n roses material inspires Axl?

They've always done a boatload of covers. They do it because they like it. You might be right that the covers get them all jazzed up but it's pretty presumptuous to conclude that songs from UYI don't inspire Axl to perform.

My UYI theory might be off but he did say that about Riff Raff in an interview.

I want the shows to go away.

Not me, they are my favorite band and I want to see them as many times as I can.

It's not the same as listening to a CD....as a matter of fact I haven't even listen to a GNR CD' for years besides their latest release.

Edited by volcano62

Honestly I don't mind the covers nearly as much as I mind the solos. I hated the ones from '92 as well. People go to hear Axl sing. I'd much prefer a 90 minute show of hits, a couple CD songs, and a cover or two than three hours of classic song, classic song, solo, cd song, cover, solo with a cover , classic song, solo, jam, etc etc

Honestly I don't mind the covers nearly as much as I mind the solos. I hated the ones from '92 as well. People go to hear Axl sing. I'd much prefer a 90 minute show of hits, a couple CD songs, and a cover or two than three hours of classic song, classic song, solo, cd song, cover, solo with a cover , classic song, solo, jam, etc etc

Could not agree more.

In the current set-up, the concerts I put on my iPod, I cut all that shit out, the intros and the solos. It kills the flow.

Back in the day? That 12-13 minute band solo segment was fucking PAINFUL. Did like 'The Godfather' solo, but you had to endure a 5 minutes of Sorum, 2 minutes of Duff and Sorum, then some unfocused Slash thing for 5 minutes first. Terribly boring.

I actually really agree. I complained about the covers in another thread today, but the solos are what really drags the shows down. They're like an inverted bell curve where the middle drags because of the solos/ballads/covers/etc. The beginning and the end of the shows are always way intense though.

I don't look at Live And Let Die as a "cover". Yeah, it obviously is, but it's basically a Gn'R song at this point, in my opinion.

That being said, while I do really like some of the covers (Rosie, Riff Raff, The Seeker, etc.), I would rather hear Gn'R songs most of the time. Though I'm all for bringing Riff Raff back. That was awesome live.

Axl did state once that he liked to play Rosie to give him a pick me up becuase he really enjoys playing it live.

I really don't mind the covers with Guns both old and new they would take a cover a make it more popular than it was when it was a new song, ie KOHD and LALD.

Just cut out the solos and it would make for a better show.

When I seen them on the UYI tour one night Slash started his solo and about 30 secs in he said fuck it we didn't come here to play solos and the rest of the came out, there was no drum solo, a small piano solo before NR and that was it and it was a 3 hour and 10 min show. Needless to say I was all GNR'ed out after the concert. I didn't want to hear a GNR song for several days. Which to me was a good thing they put on a hell of show and kicked my ass the whole time.

• Like 1

I hated the ones from '92 as well.

Same here...does any other band do this?

I remember Axl being happy with Matt stating "we finally have a drummer than can do a drum solo"

I've actually just watched a couple live videos of Matt/Duff/Slash soloing. That was some good shit. Beats the hell out of Frank Ferrer.

I remember Axl being happy with Matt stating "we finally have a drummer than can do a drum solo"

I've actually just watched a couple live videos of Matt/Duff/Slash soloing. That was some good shit. Beats the hell out of Frank Ferrer.

Does Frank have a solo spot?

Does Frank have a solo spot?

Not officially. There's a crappy video of a drum solo he did during the band introduction in Osaka 2009. Just a minute and a half of off-kilter drumming. I really think he's the worst drummer GNR has had. Flails in comparison to Adler, Sorum and Brain.

Yes. I always cringe when people (and by people I mean Jarmo) call this a 3-hour show when so much of it is spent killing time between the songs Axl actually sings. At least, the drum solo didn't come back!

Rosie

Seeker

Riff Raff

DLIBYD

Live and let die

etc...

I often hear people complaining about the covers. The reason for the covers is that some GNR material (mostly UYI) doesn't inspire Axl to perform at the level he wants to.

Remember in that interview, he said he played songs like Riff Raff to get into the zone or something like that.

All this means is that GNR needs a new album with solid material with rockers if we want to covers to go away.

If by that you mean he just plain can't pull it off - sure! Totally!

And yes, GnR sure does need a new album....