"Catcher In The Rye" Live Appreciation

Screamin' Demon

Catcher is not only my favorite song on CD, it's also in my top 3 GNR songs of all time, as well as being one of my favorite songs ever by any artist. I know everyone connects to, and hears a song differently(one reason why I don't care for videos) and for me I hear and connect to it by the senseless loss of John Lennon. I still vividly remember hearing the news on the radio. I was just 9 years old. I was raised on the Beatles, and was one of millions waiting for a reunion, of which turned out was completely possible, as the band were on and off discussing not just a reunion tour, but new studio material.

The first time I heard it, with Brian May, I loved the song immediately. Like I said, I took my own perception of the song. Small discrete sections possibly being Mark David Chapman's warped and twisted sense of reality slipped within a line here and there. The world wide effect Lennon's death had, and how extremely surreal it all was. On to the people who literally felt like they had just had a part of them torn out. People around the globe that followed his whole hearted belief of piece. People who had always turned to Lennon and his music in times of sadness & sorrow, happiness and joy, sensibility and senselessness.

Then the outro. This is where I felt a personal connection. Beginning with "on an ordinary day", because it's a perfect description. "No longer would it play for anybody, or anyone" describing the near immediate thing that crossed everyone's mind. Which was, we will never get to see or hear him again. Axls acknowledgement that Lennon was truly one of a kind in the verse "who cared to be". And the hard truth in the loss of innocence I felt, and my friends felt. That millions felt. It was a song that really hit home for me.

I know Axl has stated it's not entirely about Lennon. That it's about the book, and Holden Caufield syndrome. Among other things. But I'm glad I heard the song along time before I heard what it was about. This way I was able to take my own meaning away from it.

This song should be a staple of the set. And I really think, if promoted, pushed, and played, it could have been a song that could have helped bring CD into the mainstream, and showed Axl's musical progression.

Edited by ll_tj1
  • Like 3

Not a fan of the demo version as it's been said by Brian May that his solo was cobbled together from bits and pieces, I much prefer the album version which Bumblefoot has done justice live as well as Axl. My only gripe with the album version is the synthy bridge that feels like it could've used some more working on. Check at 2:21 in the Paris vid, the song goes to a halt. But otherwise an excellent track.

• Like 1

Not a fan of the demo version as it's been said by Brian May that his solo was cobbled together from bits and pieces, I much prefer the album version which Bumblefoot has done justice live as well as Axl. My only gripe with the album version is the synthy bridge that feels like it could've used some more working on. Check at 2:21 in the Paris vid, the song goes to a halt. But otherwise an excellent track.

I agree, I've heard a lot of complaints about May's guitar work not making the album version, but I much prefer the solo on the record to the one on the demo. It has a lot more life, more fire than the demo version. The one on the demo is a bit mellon collie, a little bland. Of course that's nothing against Brian May whom I love. That's just my opinion.

I've always interpreted the song as being about the loss of innocence and how aging corrupts the purity of youth.

Catcher is not only my favorite song on CD, it's also in my top 3 GNR songs of all time, as well as being one of my favorite songs ever by any artist. I know everyone connects to, and hears a song differently(one reason why I don't care for videos) and for me I hear and connect to it by the senseless loss of John Lennon. I still vividly remember hearing the news on the radio. I was just 9 years old. I was raised on the Beatles, and was one of millions waiting for a reunion, of which turned out was completely possible, as the band were on and off discussing not just a reunion tour, but new studio material.

The first time I heard it, with Brian May, I loved the song immediately. Like I said, I took my own perception of the song. Small discrete sections possibly being Mark David Chapman's warped and twisted sense of reality slipped within a line here and there. The world wide effect Lennon's death had, and how extremely surreal it all was. On to the people who literally felt like they had just had a part of them torn out. People around the globe that followed his whole hearted belief of piece. People who had always turned to Lennon and his music in times of sadness & sorrow, happiness and joy, sensibility and senselessness.

Then the outro. This is where I felt a personal connection. Beginning with "on an ordinary day", because it's a perfect description. "No longer would it play for anybody, or anyone" describing the near immediate thing that crossed everyone's mind. Which was, we will never get to see or hear him again. Axls acknowledgement that Lennon was truly one of a kind in the verse "who cared to be". And the hard truth in the loss of innocence I felt, and my friends felt. That millions felt. It was a song that really hit home for me.

I know Axl has stated it's not entirely about Lennon. That it's about the book, and Holden Caufield syndrome. Among other things. But I'm glad I heard the song along time before I heard what it was about. This way I was able to take my own meaning away from it.

This song should be a staple of the set. And I really think, if promoted, pushed, and played, it could have been a song that could have helped bring CD into the mainstream, and showed Axl's musical progression.

Brilliant post, thank you. I'd be interested to hear your line by line take on it.

• Like 1

When I first heard the demo to this one of the things that stuck with me was the outro as well. Axl has an incredible gift to finish the songs (lyrically) better than they begin. Which is really difficult. The first verse is usually the best, but by the time you get to 3rd or 4th verse, its like "ok time to end it". But not Axl. Catcher, You could be mine, breakdown, coma and Rocket queen come to mind. All of these songs really pick up towards the end, not just musically, but lyrically as well.

• Like 1

Street of dreams is a better song in my opinion, Catchers good but it has way! too much stuff going on in the mix, that section with the piano solo and guitar solo going on is just mental and completely distracts from a song that was actually pretty good. I look at Catcher like a really good looking woman who's decided to paint herself orange with fake tan, put huge eyelash extensions and generally do everything and anything to ruin what would usually be a bodacious babe!

Having said all that, I still like the song and would be happy to see it remain in the set... replacing SOD...? Sorry, but no way. SOD is a set highlight for me and to the GA - I would say they'd consider it one of the best new songs, one of the few, in their opinions... not mine, I love CD :D

Street of dreams is a better song in my opinion, Catchers good but it has way! too much stuff going on in the mix, that section with the piano solo and guitar solo going on is just mental and completely distracts from a song that was actually pretty good. I look at Catcher like a really good looking woman who's decided to paint herself orange with fake tan, put huge eyelash extensions and generally do everything and anything to ruin what would usually be a bodacious babe!

Having said all that, I still like the song and would be happy to see it remain in the set... replacing SOD...? Sorry, but no way. SOD is a set highlight for me and to the GA - I would say they'd consider it one of the best new songs, one of the few, in their opinions... not mine, I love CD :D

You made some good points. I can see how the GA would respond better to Street of Dreams. I like that one as well, but I prefer Catcher. The lyrics are much deeper on Catcher, and I honestly prefer Ron's solo to Fincks on Street of Dreams. That whole song to imo, is "cleanist" song gnr has probably ever done. By clean I mean, it doesn't have any sleaze or sizzle. It's like Axl doing Elton John imo. At least This I love has an awesome solo and Axl is pouring his heart out.

Having said all of that, I can see how casual fans might really like it. It is possibly the "catchiest" thing from CD.

I was never too excited about Catcher, even the old leaks. Didn't give it too much attention when the album came out. But now I consider it one of my favorites. It's a highlight of the album to me. And that acoustic L'Arc is the best.

It seems so weird right now to imagine Chinese without Catcher. It's just such a big part of the listening experience for me, but I remember we had no idea if it was gonna make it on the album. (in the Trunk interview Axl wasn't definitive about it)

Really sucks we didn't get to hear Atlas though. Some people that heard it thought it was one of the strongest tracks Axl had.

Edited by Rovim