Acceptance of "New" GNR compared to "New" Smashing Pumpkins.

Chainsforalice

Not the same at all. Besides, who truly believes Smashing Pumpkins is a thing anymore?

Without a doubt the same amount of people that think GNR is still a thing anymore. These are old 90s dinosaurs, and I mean that in terms of old and not in terms of power. The fact that Alice In Chains has managed to avoid that and become semi-relevant again is insanely admirable and a major accomplishment they should be proud of.

• Like 1

When you think bout AIc. What they did is even more amazing. After 96 they really didnt do anything outside of a few singles and not very successful side projects. Then 09 hit. Check my brain went #1. Not bad and on top of that without Layne.

Yet there is still a devout following of pumpkin heads who will buy anything Billy releases,myself included

Yet the question is. If axl released music more frequantly like say Billy or Jerry would he have a better chance. I say yes. Both Billy and Jerry are still releasing music and doing interviews. Axl is a recluse who loathes the media and letting his music be heard.

#1 Singles and top 40 material is not what I think should be used to define success or merits of rock n roll. The best stuff I've heard over the past 15 years typically didn't make a big impact into the Billboard charts. Even when rock records used to sell like hot cakes I never thought chart position was a relevant benefactor as it concerns the actual songs and material.. I mean, the last ACDC record w/ the Wal-Mart exclusive got a lot of run, but its not really something that I think will resonate with people (or even their own fans) for years to come. Chinese Democracy didn't make any box office records, but I think it has succeeded- purely on its own terms. Axl didn't whore himself to promote it or pimp the songs to promote himself. He let the material speak for itself. The fact that so many people are still discussing the pros and cons of the album (all the way on down to songs like Scraped) demonstrates that it DID resonate.

Corgan both WROTE AND PLAYED(guitar, vocals/lyrics, bass) most of the songs back in the day and continues to do so now. The main essence is still there. The same cannot be said for Axl who mainly contributed to vocals/lyrics(aside from November Rain, Estranged etc). Guns N' Roses originally was 5 equal parts with each member bringing in their own style. From Izzy's constructive and catchy rhythm, to Slash's pleasing and melodic solos, to Adler's off the wall loose drumming to Duff's thumping and prominent basslines. Axl didn't write any solos, Axl did not contribute any basslines, Axl did not put down any drum beats. You get idiots like MSL who think Axl was the main songwriter but the only songs he truly wrote on his lonesome were the likes of November Rain, Estranged, etc. The band was a collective who used to jam out songs in the back of a van on the way to a show unlike now where the 'band' never even speak to eachother(let alone record together) besides being on tour. Smashing Pumpkins was always the Corgan(and Jimmy to an extent) show. That is why you rarely get Pumpkins fans(myself included) saying "bring back D'arcy!!" because the other members contributed very little even by their own admission.

D'arcy and Izzy would have made the perfect couple...

Billy's gone from trashing his former bandmates to being more complimentary to what they did contribute.

Both bands were collectives and calling it the Billy Corgan show.... nothing wrong with Zwan or Future Embrace, but if it was all about Billy, why didn't they do well?

Edited by dalsh327

Chinese Democracy didn't make any box office records, but I think it has succeeded- purely on its own terms. Axl didn't whore himself to promote it or pimp the songs to promote himself. He let the material speak for itself. The fact that so many people are still discussing the pros and cons of the album (all the way on down to songs like Scraped) demonstrates that it DID resonate.

I'm not trying to be mean, and that opinion certainly might be the right one, but thats the most "Axl fanboy centric" response you can have to this topic that its nearly impossible to take seriously.

• Like 1

Chinese Democracy didn't make any box office records, but I think it has succeeded- purely on its own terms. Axl didn't whore himself to promote it or pimp the songs to promote himself. He let the material speak for itself. The fact that so many people are still discussing the pros and cons of the album (all the way on down to songs like Scraped) demonstrates that it DID resonate.

I'm not trying to be mean, and that opinion certainly might be the right one, but thats the most "Axl fanboy centric" response you can have to this topic that its nearly impossible to take seriously.

Fair enough, I do think Chinese Democracy is a great record, as well as UYI and AFD... and I am a fan of Axl's contributions to those records... and I do I have testicles.... so perhaps I am a fanboy.

You got me

Diggity all over

Not the same at all. Besides, who truly believes Smashing Pumpkins is a thing anymore?

Without a doubt the same amount of people that think GNR is still a thing anymore. These are old 90s dinosaurs, and I mean that in terms of old and not in terms of power. The fact that Alice In Chains has managed to avoid that and become semi-relevant again is insanely admirable and a major accomplishment they should be proud of.

I am a huge AIC fan, but there is no way that they are more "relevant' then the Pumpkins. Oceania was a respectable comeback for the billy and co.

Edited by RichardNixon

#1 Singles and top 40 material is not what I think should be used to define success or merits of rock n roll. The best stuff I've heard over the past 15 years typically didn't make a big impact into the Billboard charts. Even when rock records used to sell like hot cakes I never thought chart position was a relevant benefactor as it concerns the actual songs and material.. I mean, the last ACDC record w/ the Wal-Mart exclusive got a lot of run, but its not really something that I think will resonate with people (or even their own fans) for years to come. Chinese Democracy didn't make any box office records, but I think it has succeeded- purely on its own terms. Axl didn't whore himself to promote it or pimp the songs to promote himself. He let the material speak for itself. The fact that so many people are still discussing the pros and cons of the album (all the way on down to songs like Scraped) demonstrates that it DID resonate.

I am so tired of hearing Axl fans brag about how he did not whore himself by promoting his own music, like that is some badge of honor to do what every other artist does to promote their music, yet he continues to milk the GnR name and rely on the old hits to draw fans to NuGuns concerts and make his $$$.

• Like 2

I am a huge AIC fan, but there is no way that they are more "relevant' then the Pumpkins. Oceania was a respectable comeback for the billy and co.

What I mean in terms of relevance is becoming relatively well known again for new music. People that seek out new music these days I feel are more likely to know stuff like Check My Brain than Smashing Pumpkins new stuff. Alice In Chains new material gets played on modern rock radio. Obviously its not like they are Miley Cyrus or something now, but Alice In Chains is a band you never should have heard of again after the 90s and after Layne's death and they've done a very respectable job of continuing and making music that is in line with the modern rock scene. I don't think as many people know Smashing Pumpkins is still making music.

Pumpkins never played the bowling alley down the block from my apartment.

Axl did.

And believe me, there was no screaming mob outside the bowling alley, hoping to get a glimpse of Frank or Dizzy or Bumble.

What bowling alley did Axl play? Are your sure that you aren't talking about Adler's Appetite.

What I mean in terms of relevance is becoming relatively well known again for new music. People that seek out new music these days I feel are more likely to know stuff like Check My Brain than Smashing Pumpkins new stuff. Alice In Chains new material gets played on modern rock radio. Obviously its not like they are Miley Cyrus or something now, but Alice In Chains is a band you never should have heard of again after the 90s and after Layne's death and they've done a very respectable job of continuing and making music that is in line with the modern rock scene. I don't think as many people know Smashing Pumpkins is still making music.

I don't have any sales or radio airplay stats, but The Smashing Pumpkins are doing fairly well for a 90s act, at least as well as AIC. Oceania made a few best-of 2012 lists and the album had a good buzz. It's a great album, as is Oceania: Live in NYC. It was ballsy to play the whole album, front to back, and not just stick to the hits. I agree with you about AIC and am glad that they are still around.

Edited by RichardNixon

Axl did.

And believe me, there was no screaming mob outside the bowling alley, hoping to get a glimpse of Frank or Dizzy or Bumble.

What bowling alley did Axl play? Are your sure that you aren't talking about Adler's Appetite.

:blink:

Zeitgeist > Chinese Democracy

Axl did.

You don't remember the Brooklyn Bowel incident?

Yea it was a surprise gig. Nice for the fans. Google it. 3hrs for cheap. Axl showed n yea was a bowling alley.

One question. If axl released more tunes. You think theyd be more popular,i think so

Cheap? $100 plus is something that not many bands can command, no matter how small the venue.

• Like 1

Yea it was a surprise gig. Nice for the fans. Google it. 3hrs for cheap. Axl showed n yea was a bowling alley.

One question. If axl released more tunes. You think theyd be more popular,i think so

Cheap? $100 plus is something that not many bands can command, no matter how small the venue.

Fuck the only reason I've even seen GN'R live is because I won tickets from a radio station. I can't afford $100 for a concert. I can't afford $50, that's why I'm missing Public Enemy on my birthday!

• Like 1

Fuck the only reason I've even seen GN'R live is because I won tickets from a radio station. I can't afford $100 for a concert. I can't afford $50, that's why I'm missing Public Enemy on my birthday!

When is your birthday? If it's after the 3rd, I'll go half to get you there.

I am so tired of hearing Axl fans brag about how he did not whore himself by promoting his own music, like that is some badge of honor to do what every other artist does to promote their music, yet he continues to milk the GnR name and rely on the old hits to draw fans to NuGuns concerts and make his $$$.

serie_touche-23.jpg