What is Axl's motivation?

ITG

What motivates him to do what he has been doing (and not doing) the past few years? I used to think it was passive aggressive projected aggression to the fans but even back in the mid 90s (before fans abandoned him) he sent that fax to MTV telling them there would be no fan club. He's a bit of Pandora's box. A strange cat. What do you speculate motivates him now and what his plans might be?

What motivates him to do what he has been doing (and not doing) the past few years? I used to think it was passive aggressive projected aggression to the fans but even back in the mid 90s (before fans abandoned him) he sent that fax to MTV telling them there would be no fan club. He's a bit of Pandora's box. A strange cat. What do you speculate motivates him now and what his plans might be?

Anger, resentment, hate... Pretty much the same things that motivated him back in the 80s. Then he hated his family, his town, the law, the order, the media or his religion. Now he hates his former band mates (except Izzy), ex girlfriends (wife), friends (except Del James) He is a victim. There is always people Out Ta Get Him. Even if it´s just his imagination. It´s still a driven force for him. So there is no passive aggressive. It is active aggressive

• Like 1

he'd still be making new music in an attempt to best the old band

Why do you say it as if it's an ongoing battle? Artistically Chinese shits all over anything by any member of old GNR.

• Like 1

Pandora's box?

Small town boy from the wrong side of the tracks escapes an abusive family, oppressive authorities, and certain lifelong poverty (and/or institutionalization). Rocks the whole world on his own terms, dates supermodels, records songs that will live forever.

People lose sight of the big picture of Axl's life. When he look at where he came from, what he overcame, and the extent to which he has already left his mark- its really a rare (unprecedented even) story of the American dream realized. When you take it all in, its a success story- far more so than a story of what could have been.

I do wonder if all that makes him more or less motivated at this point.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but he seems to enjoy performing. He may have gotten older, but I think he tours because he enjoys singing to audiences. It doesn't have to be a complicated answer, but Axl has been performing for a long time.

Sometimes I think it's one of those things where it's just the life he's come to know, and he likes the comfort of doing something he knows. I'm sure Axl likes the money aspects and it helps maintain his lifestyle, but it's not like he's buying new mansions every year. He pretty much has lived in the same place a while. The argument I know everyone will hate but is probably true is if he wanted money he could do a reunion tour with Slash. Money doesn't motivate him that far though.

So my unpopular opinion is the guy just enjoys performing. If he wanted to he could stop and live off royalties. I'd like to think Axl has reached his dream, and become a huge rockstar. Maybe he is nearing the last stage of his career, but I think he's enjoying whatever stage he is on.

His fans. I can see Axl having a great time onstage performing in front of his fans.

The 3 times I've seen GNR, Axl looks happy and has fun with the band. I look around and see everyone singing the songs including CD and Axl has to feel great about that!

i disagree with the "money" answer wholeheartedly. Money in the US might = reunion. He hasn't and I bet, probably won't do that. I think his motivation is in being on the road, performing live, and with his best efforts & God willing, putting albums out. I don't doubt for a second that he's wished there would be more albums & DVDs out by this point, post-Democracy.

Its not money. No one with a co-writing credit on SCOM will ever have to work again. My friend had a co-writing credit on a minor UK Christmas record about ten years ago, he made over 100k from it!

Do you know what your own motivations are? Do they change? Axl is just a normal person and I'm sure things change in his life that we don't even know about and that they will change his outlook and motivations all the time.