Who's your least favorite member of GNR?

IRanOutOfIdeas

Ashba.

He's a good guitar player, I have no doubt he will write some good stuff with GnR, but his goth/emo image doesn't fit in. The guys 40 years old, that's fine for a young person, but at 40 it's just ridiculous.

If you asked me a few months ago, it would've been frank, but then I heard the better gone remix and the 15 seconds of the SR and ITW remix brain did, and started to realize how happy I am frank replaced him.

Pitmans useless. I don't care if he's there or not, I don't mind him either way.

Pit(t)man has 3 known writing credits with GNR - how many does Richard Fortus have?

How artistically dull is Fortus that he couldn't get one writing credit in over 6 years?

Pit(t)man has 3 known writing credits with GNR - how many does Richard Fortus have?

How artistically dull is Fortus that he couldn't get one writing credit in over 6 years?

I joke about him, but I genuinely feel that Pitman brings something to the table. His presence is certainly audible on CD and his contributions are usually interesting. Dizzy's kind of the traditional piano/keyboard player, Pitman's role is more progressive if not eclectic. They both added something to and in the writing process. I can only assume they did as much on the remaining CD songs.

I like it that GNR has two guys on keys. No other band has that. Its overkill and that is this lineup's forte. More isn't always more, but in this case it actually is.

I joke about him, but I genuinely feel that Pitman brings something to the table. His presence is certainly audible on CD and his contributions are usually interesting. Dizzy's kind of the traditional piano/keyboard player, Pitman's role is more progressive if not eclectic. They both added something to and in the writing process. I can only assume they did as much on the remaining CD songs.

I like it that GNR has two guys on keys. No other band has that. Its overkill and that is this lineup's forte. More isn't always more, but in this case it actually is.

Pitman's solo on Catcher's demo. :wub:

Also, Fortus wrote that rockin' Better chorus riff. I don't think he's not artistic enough. He just didn't get the chance to show what he can really bring to the table. (or it's not released yet) He's only a member since 2002 lol fuck.

Edited by Rovim

Also, Fortus wrote that rockin' Better chorus riff. I don't think he's not artistic enough. He just didn't get the chance to show what he can really bring to the table. (or it's not released yet) He's only a member since 2002 lol fuck.

It obviously wasn't deemed significant enough to be credited though.

Bumblefoot joined the band much later than Fortus - Fortus was actually involved in some capacity as early as 2001 - yet he is still more prominent on Chinese. There's no point in making excuses, Fortus isn't a songwriter.

Pitman's solo on Catcher's demo. :wub:

You do have a point about Fortus I mean it seems like a good portion of the songs on CD were basically/almost complete (and/or at least written) by the time he joined.

and that is a killer riff in the Better chorus, but still that seems, feels, and sounds like Robin's song overall

but I can't really say I've heard him do much (that is uniquely his own) outside of GNR. Even outside Guns it seems like his role is in fulfilling a role in someone else's vision which as I said, he does well.

• Like 1

I used to really like Pitman. I loved the synth before the solo on the demo of Catcher in the Rye, I thought it was magical. I loved the synth on The Blues, again, it was magical. It all turned to shit when he done that interview this year saying that they didn't need to release music. It was equally infuriating seeing him with an arm around a woman that looked really uncomfortable with him doing so that was about 20+ years younger than 'Mothergoose'.

I know Chris's reasoning behind the view about releasing music which I can totally see from his viewpoint it's just where his coming from. I don't want to divulge to much of a personal conversation but some logic and reasoning for Pitmans view. Chris grabs everyone even dudes his just one of those people persons

But overkill shouldn't be GNR's forte. I don't know about you but I don't get much of a thrill hearing over-saturated music. As far as I'm concerned, GNR should be a lean and mean HARD ROCK band, not some sort of scrapshit electronica project. I don't think electronics/programming should be a part of their sound at all. All Pitman seems to do is add weird blurbs that fuck up the songs and his keyboard is barely audible with the onslaught of other instruments being played. He's not a synth God, he's just a damn waste of space.

If he's got writing credits, just relegate him to an in-the-studio/Paul Huge role. Other than that, I don't believe he adds anything worthwhile to the band and I'm seriously waiting for someone to prove me wrong on that.

I don't really have a problem with Dizzy though. He's got a job and he does it well (Better than Pitman, really). At least he's not an asshole like him.

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas

I used to really like Pitman. I loved the synth before the solo on the demo of Catcher in the Rye, I thought it was magical. I loved the synth on The Blues, again, it was magical. It all turned to shit when he done that interview this year saying that they didn't need to release music. It was equally infuriating seeing him with an arm around a woman that looked really uncomfortable with him doing so that was about 20+ years younger than 'Mothergoose'.

I know Chris's reasoning behind the view about releasing music which I can totally see from his viewpoint it's just where his coming from. I don't want to divulge to much of a personal conversation but some logic and reasoning for Pitmans view. Chris grabs everyone even dudes his just one of those people persons

uh, what?

Just gets up and close with everyone treats everyone as friends

As far as the other members go, I'm surprised Adler is getting a lot of hate. He's a hell of a drummer (Although he fucked himself over with drug use). He's got a groove that nobody else could replace.

But yeah, Frank Ferrer's just a really stale and weak drummer. He wouldn't be there if Brain hadn't left to go raise his kid. Anybody that can drum with Les Claypool obviously has some talent and he really brought a powerful combination of the best traits that Adler and Sorum had to offer. Only respect for him.

I still believe that GNR should be a two-guitar band too. Buckethead's a master guitarist but honestly I think he's too idiosyncratic and doesn't mesh well with GNR. I remember watching a podcast with Josh Freese who said the only reason that Buckethead joined was because he was tired of the starving artist routine. My opinion for Robin has only grown with time. I watched some 2006 concerts with him and he really knew what he was doing. He also contributed to Better, which speaks for itself. I wouldn't mind having him back in the band but at the same time if he didn't, I wouldn't loose sleep over it.

As far as DJ Asshat goes, he's a good guitarist and compared to Buckethead and Robin, I think he fits the bill better. BUT, he's such a fucking tool. I think he tries way to hard to cultivate his shitty image and honestly, I'm always going to think he's a Slash ripoff. His stage performance is a bit uninspired also.

I'd just leave the guitar work to RIchard and Ron. I don't mind that they contribute minimal artistic input because they're damn good guitarists. Let them blur the roles between lead and rhythm guitarists (It'll eliminate the inevitable Slash comparison). They can add their own technically proficient spin on the old songs too.

I have plenty of respect for Tommy since I like the Replacements but I don't like how his bass isn't as dominant as Duff's. I think he should turn his volume up so I can actually hear it.

And for that frontman that we love and hate...He really needs to get himself back in 2006 shape both physically and vocally (There's no excuse for it). Drop all of the thick clothes and hats while he's at it too.

Do all of this and maybe add some competent management that can get the ball rolling for the band and I think we'd be talking. But hey, I can dream can't I?

Sorum, Ashba, Finck and Pitman. The GN'R Hall of Suck. Before this is over, I'm hoping to get to see them form a band with Myles, because shit happens.

I don't hate any of these people, but this post was still hilarious.

"But overkill shouldn't be GNR's forte. I don't know about you but I don't get much of a thrill hearing over-saturated music."

That's Axl. That's GNR at least since the Illusion era. GNR was never the Ramones. As great as it is, I wouldn't want another AFD, it wouldn't be artistically honest.

Edited by Mr. Dude

It obviously wasn't deemed significant enough to be credited though.

Bumblefoot joined the band much later than Fortus - Fortus was actually involved in some capacity as early as 2001 - yet he is still more prominent on Chinese. There's no point in making excuses, Fortus isn't a songwriter.

How about actually giving him a real chance and only then judge him? Benefit of the doubt and all.

I don't think saying Fortus isn't a songwriter is fair. He said he came to the party too late to have writing credits or something like that, which makes sense. Axl had an album 'ready' in 1999. Fortus got in the band in 2002.

For all we know he could have written a ton of songs for Guns that Axl decided were going to be a part of CD ll or even lll.

Edited by Rovim

Sorum, Ashba, Finck and Pitman. The GN'R Hall of Suck. Before this is over, I'm hoping to get to see them form a band with Myles, because shit happens.

Finck wrote Better which is one of the strongest songs on the album for me, and his solos on Chinese are great for the most part imo.

Pitman has his moment, too.

Finck wrote Better which is one of the strongest songs on the album for me, and his solos on Chinese are great for the most part imo.

Fink absolutely slaughtered Slash's solos and was completely useless standing next to either Bucket or Ron, he sucked ass and I'm glad he's gone. Pittman had a major part in writing the absolute worst song in the history of GN'R, ITW. Wish he would grab Ashba and join Finck and Sorum in that place where I no longer have to give a shit about any of them. Edited by Damn_Smooth

Fink absolutely slaughtered Slash's solos and was completely useless standing next to either Bucket or Ron, he sucked ass and I'm glad he's gone. Pittman had a major part in writing the absolute worst song in the history of GN'R, ITW. Wish he would grab Ashba and join Finck and Sorum in that place where I no longer have to give a shit about any of them.

Finck was great on Chinese. Live...yeah he was sloppy. Maybe too sloppy to be in Gn'R for a lot of fans, but he played the new songs really well. Also liked his take on many old Guns songs, but I can forgive sloppy.

You don't have to give a shit about any of them. Why wait until they leave? I don't give a fuck about Frank as we speak.

And don't exagerrate. If The World is not the absolute worst song in the history of Gn'R.

Edited by Rovim

Nothing personal but 100% Ron -- Yay he's nice to his fans, great! just doesn't fit in GNR imo, never has, never will.

I have a strange thing between him and Ashba. Ron is the only member of the band who is completely open about what the situation is. He is there to play guns n roses songs for money. Nothing wrong with that. But unfortunately he also makes it so obvious that he doesn't like it, or at least the music. It's kind of tough to watch the guy play when he doesn't seem to care.

On the flipside, sometimes it seems Ashba cares more that anyone in the history of the band short of Adler. However they both share the interest of being a rock star before the music. The problems with Ashba have been long documented, bragging about fighting fans while fighting bullying, guitar sucking, "shameless self promotion," but one of the most cringe worthy things is how it seems rock stardom comes before music. Everything he does seems disingenuous.

So basically the same issue is at heart. If they do care about gn'rs music, they have a funny way of showing it.