Interesting idea I had

wfuckinga

Would it be possible to take audio of GN'R playing Paradise City and then take audio of Slash and his band playing PC, isolate the vocals on the GN'R track, remove Myles' from the Slash track, and layer Axl's voice over the Slash track to get an Axl/Slash PC?

Would it be possible to take audio of GN'R playing Paradise City and then take audio of Slash and his band playing PC, isolate the vocals on the GN'R track, remove Myles' from the Slash track, and layer Axl's voice over the Slash track to get an Axl/Slash PC?

Great idea, but highly improbable. As mentioned by bacardi, you'd need a recording of Axl singing PC that was split into multiple tracks.

Tempo changing is possible, but with varying degrees of success; it could, and probably would change the whole key of the song, which would only alter your problem from there being two different tempos, to two different musical keys. Both the Slash tracks and the Axl tracks would have to be changed to meet somewhere in the middle, and again, it might not sound great. And as mentioned, any multitrack recording of new GNR that is out there, is likely in some hidden underground cave 5 miles below Axl's house.

I did this once with Comfortably Numb.

Back when I was a kid, I was wanted badly to hear a live version and one didn't exist at that time with the full Floyd line up on it.

I took Rogers verses from The Wall Live In Berlin and Davids choruses and solos from Delicate Sound of Thunder and made a make shift live version.

I have a few IEMs from 2007 as well. It may work with those. Russ: How did you do yours? I may try that, like put the songs together to where Axl is singing the main lyrics but Myles does the chorus maybe

I literally just cut and pasted them together. Both bands were playing to click tracks at the time so they were at the same tempo and of course they were in the same key.

I'm not sure if Myles' vocals are isolated on one channel on the Made In Stoke DVD/Blu-Ray. I remember Brian Johnson's were on AC/DC Live At Donington for instance, and back then I managed to paste Bon Scott's vocals taken from the multitrack stems of the album version on the backing track from the live DVD.

We desperately need the Illusions' mutlitrack masters. I want a clean Estranged instrumental.

Edited by EvH

Tempo and pitch aren't major problems for matching one track to another, but removing Miles' vocals from a live recording would be such an incredible pain in the ass, it wouldn't be worth it.

If it was any other vocalist, I would totally agree, but this is Myles we're talking about here. Removing his vocals from any Guns tune will always be worth it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

There have been people who had been able to get isolated multitracks, that's how the Linda McCartney bootleg of her singing out of key made the rounds.

Apart from the ChiDem and the WTTJ -partial- ones, there's no other GN'R multitrack stems available.

Not the real deal for UYI as it has that douchebag Matt Sorum on drums. Wasn't there some classic Guns stuff on one of those games? I think Jungle and SCOM were on a rock band game.

The SCOM stems are not the master ones, it's from a cover. We have partial stems for WTTJ, but not the multitrack master, i.e. drums and vocals are sadly mixed on the same track.

Try it and find out

I'm an audio engineer.

No, what you describe is not possible, unless you possess isolated instrumental and vocal tracks from each band. We simply do not have isolated instrumental and vocal tracks from these bands playing PC live.

The tempo is not an issue; I can quantize (i.e. time-snap) everything together easily, and I can match EQs. What I cannot do is take an audio file and selectively remove the vocal track perfectly.

The human voice covers a remarkable range of frequencies, notably the middle frequencies. Guess what else is in the middle frequencies? Pretty much anything that your brain interprets as audio detail. Bass and extreme treble frequencies are interpreted as being "there". Your brain doesn't actually use those frequencies for fine detail, unlike the mids. Again, the mids are where your vocals and guitars and all fine details exist.

If you have some isolated tracks from each band, send them to me and I'll mix them together. I strongly dislike Myles singing GNR tunes, and I strongly dislike Bumby/DJ playing guitar on GNR tunes, so I'd love to extract all of them.