What are your thoughts on a new album in 2014?

liers

New album opinions  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There will not be a new album. There might be some crap on the new tour like re-worked OMG or Silkworms. Probably Going Down. But otherwise - no.

I'm afraid that even IF they release anything it'll be more re-worked bloated versions of 1998-2008 songs.

What I actually WANT though, are the 1998-2008 songs in their original form. Give me 2000-CD. Give me demo's. Give me the Brian May stuff. Give me the Beltrami stuff. Give me the RTB stuff. Give me this:

chinese_take_out_carton.gif

I honestly don't care about re-worked Ashba versions or even Bumblefoot versions. Give me the original stuff.

Right now I'd prefer getting all the 1998-2008 stuff (particularly the pre-2004 stuff) over getting a completely new album.

Edited by username

We might see one or two new digital downloads, and maybe some studio versions of cover songs they've done live.

Axl's never released digital downloads as singles, so the next release is going to be handled differently. Will Bowie and Beyonce influence how the new GNR album is released? Maybe. He has enough money to keep it under wraps, but hopefully Interscope is being run differently and Axl can put the album out without interference. Bands try to get their songs on a TV series as a place to debut it, so maybe that's where it'll come up first.

I think what Del said in the interview might or might not reflect how Axl feels about putting music out there. If he's spending time and money and the fans aren't buying it, what's the point of giving it away to them? Is Spotify and Pandora going to write a check to stream it? There's ways to get the songs out there now that keep the freeloaders at bay. And I'm sure Uzi Suicide LLC will be working overtime to make sure no new music gets posted on You Tube.

Edited by dalsh327

There will not be a new album. There might be some crap on the new tour like re-worked OMG or Silkworms. Probably Going Down. But otherwise - no.

I'm afraid that even IF they release anything it'll be more re-worked bloated versions of 1998-2008 songs.

What I actually WANT though, are the 1998-2008 songs in their original form. Give me 2000-CD. Give me demo's. Give me the Brian May stuff. Give me the Beltrami stuff. Give me the RTB stuff. Give me this:

I honestly don't care about re-worked Ashba versions or even Bumblefoot versions. Give me the original stuff.

Right now I'd prefer getting all the 1998-2008 stuff (particularly the pre-2004 stuff) over getting a completely new album.

I'd love to hear the industrial songs from the late 90s, but I doubt that will happen. That's ships sailed. We might get a few, but they'll no doubt be reworked from the current lineup.

I'd love to hear the industrial songs from the late 90s, but I doubt that will happen. That's ships sailed. We might get a few, but they'll no doubt be reworked from the current lineup.

I'm of the firm belief that years, hell decades from now, they'll release a box ass collection of all the stuff in the vaults ala Beach Boys' Smile.

I'm of the firm belief that years, hell decades from now, they'll release a box ass collection of all the stuff in the vaults ala Beach Boys' Smile.

Maybe in 2018 we'll get AFD and CD box sets.

I can live with GNR not making new music, but if they continue they have to delve into the back catalogue an shake things up as 4 full length albums is not a lot of material... and then to not play 20-30 of those songs at all for years is incredible!

I hoping we get to hear the songs written by the 01 lineup, recorded by the 06 lineup, played by the current lineup

Hahahaha.

Just trying to explain this band to any non-fan is quite daunting.

Yeah, I was trying to explain it to someone over Christmas. I caught myself saying things like "he's the new new guy playing the old new guys songs who replaced the old old guy."

Edited by Mr. Dude

No new album for 2014 and the setlist change will consist of a new 'old song' like Locomtive.

I hope not. Can't stand Slash's flat riffs on that one. Then again, maybe one of the current guys can improve upon it.

I think Locomotive is definitely amongst Slash's best work. I wish they'd add a few songs like that to the set. I think songs like Locomotive or Breakdown would really showcase and incorporate the entire band at one time.

Seeing how Locomotive is generally regarded as a Slash song I highly doubt we'll ever hear it live though. Same for Coma. I think we have a better shot at hearing something like Breakdown.

Edited by Mr. Dude

No new album for 2014 and the setlist change will consist of a new 'old song' like Locomtive.

I hope not. Can't stand Slash's flat riffs on that one. Then again, maybe one of the current guys can improve upon it.

I think Locomotive is definitely amongst Slash's best work. I wish they'd add a few songs like that to the set. I think songs like Locomotive or Breakdown would really showcase and incorporate the entire band at one time.

Seeing how Locomotive is generally regarded as a Slash song I highly doubt we'll ever hear it live though. Same for Coma. I think we have a better shot at hearing something like Breakdown.

But Civil War is a Slash song too and that was played live by new Guns.

You are quite the contrarian. I suppose its a matter of degree and/or perception.

Civil War seems different somehow. Maybe its the lyrical heaviness that makes me associate it more so with Axl (and Slash as opposed to just Slash). Whereas the extended instrumentals on Locomotive make that song seem more like a Slash song (even though Axl is credited on it too).

Edited by Mr. Dude

You are quite the contrarian. There are many songs that Slash had a prominent role in recording that they play, but I suppose its a matter of degree and/or perception.

Civil War seems different somehow. Maybe its the lyrical heaviness that makes me associate more so with Axl than Slash. Whereas the extended instrumentals on Locomotive make that song seem more like a Slash song.

With respect, what are you talking about? We don't have a clue about what every Slash song or the lyrics or music of it mean to Axl nowdays, so whatever it means to you doesn't really help to label it as more of a Slash song or less of a Slash song.

I was simply pointing out that new Guns played a previously abandoned Slash song, so Axl might decide in the future he'd like to play another one. Please don't make it about me when I clearly made a relevant and appropriate comment.

Edited by Rovim

Wow, I am pretty shocked at so many picking the "mix of both" option.

We have already heard from Ron they have yet to write a note together. Do you all see some burst of creativity and ambition right at the finish line?

I could see Dj squeezing somwthing in. Depends what you see as new. New to me is Fortus songs, old is bucket and finck. Ron might get something on there. But old is more likely. Or will they wait so long Ron and Dj will get on there. Edited by wasted