Other Singers with Rasp - or was Axl unique?

DownUnderScott

I've never heard another singer quite like Axl.

I think when he started out, the 'rasp' wasn't full-formed. He had more of a nasally high-pitched shriek going on. By the Illusions, he had kind of transformed it into a Tom Waits-esque low gritty rasp, like a black blues singer crossed with a rock singer. Now, I think to save his voice he's reverted back a bit more to where he was at the start of his career, with a higher nasally falsetto. And because his voice is weaker, that's why sometimes people complain about it sounding like Mickey Mouse or whatever. I think he tore up his vocal cords in the early '90s belting out the rasp at full volume on tour every night, which is a real shame, because it was an utterly unique guttural growl and I miss it. I think when he does it nowadays (on the studio cut of Madagascar, or his guest vocals on Angel Down) it still sounds pretty cool. I think he just can't do it live as much anymore.

So how did he manage to sing with lots of rasp just back in 2010?

he sounded good in 2010 but the 'depth' of the rasp was nowhere NEAR the level of 1989 - 93. and i think singing like that in 2010 may have been what sent him backwards, he may have been slowly damaging his voice again. pure speculation though. but there was a serious drop-off from 2010 to the following year or whenever it was that he resurfaced with the helium voice.

a voice is like a muscle, the more you train it, it will adapt...but if you let it go for too long, it will atrophy; that could very well be what happened there. who knows.

Hahaha was Axl unique and the only singer to have a raspy voice.......... :blink:

Yeah I know - I was drunk and 1hr from 2014 when I wrote it. :)

I was hoping to find some leads on other singers that have a voice like Axl so I could explore some new artists and get their music. I think some of the singers people have posted about do have a raspy singing voice but some I'm not so sure of?

I'm talking about that real gravel in their throat as they sing voice. Axl's was amazing and I was curious if there were any as good as his...

Guest cbgnr666

Axl has a very unique one of a kind voice,that's for sure.You always know its him.I would have to say my favorite vocals were on the UYI albums and Spagetti even though the latter album is meh.I just never found he pulled that sound off very well live.

Edited by cbgnr666

Jason Macmasters of Dangerous Toys has the rasp also...

Good call.

These guys were a combination of GnR and Aerosmith. One of the best bands from that generation.

Check out songs like

Angel In You - I don't know how any GnR fan could not like this song

Scared

Queen Of The Nile

Teasn' Pleasn'

And their ballads

Best of Friends

Promise The Moon

There lead singer has fronted AC/DC and Metallica cover bands.

Another current lead singer who uses a lot of rasp, especially live, is Joakim Berg from Hardcore Superstar. If you love singers that have rasp, but with a band that is catchy hard rock - you have to check these guys out. They have nine albums and about 30 really great songs. After GnR, these guys get the most usage from IPOD over the last six months.

Here are two slower songs, but you should check out some of these songs as well:

Right here, Right now

Dreaming In A Casket

Moonshine

We Don't Need a Cure

Liberation

One more Minute

Someone Special

Standing On The Verge

This one is a Hanoi Rocks cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCObEVa3auo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuCy0sLM9es

I was trying to think of other vocalists that had that scratchy / raspy vocals that we all loved in Axl. Couldn't really think of any. The only thing that came to mind was Brian Johnson with a song example being 'Thunderstruck' .

Can anyone else think of someone comparable? A singer and an example of a song they sing ???

Are you that young? Or just think axl's thw only singer that has a raspy voice cause off the top of my head I have brian jonson-ac/dc, jeff keith-tesla, mellisa etheridge, janis joplin

I was trying to think of other vocalists that had

that scratchy / raspy vocals that we all loved in Axl. Couldn't really think of any. The only thing that came to mind was Brian Johnson with a song example being 'Thunderstruck' .

Can anyone else think of someone comparable?

A singer and an example of a song they sing ???

Are you that young? Or just think axl's thw only singer that has a raspy voice cause off the top of my head I have brian jonson-ac/dc, jeff keith-tesla, mellisa etheridge, janis joplin

Am I that young? I wish ! The first time I saw Guns N Roses live was over twenty years ago - so no, I'm not that young. I just honestly cant think of too many singers that had Axl's kind of rasp. I still dont think that many singers people have posted here as examples actually have a raspy singing voice. They are just unique or low. Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell have cool low tones for example - but not raspy.

Anyway, I agree with Nosaj Thing - you are spot-on there dude! :)

Edited by DownUnderScott