Other Singers with Rasp - or was Axl unique?

DownUnderScott

I don't think anyone touches Axl in his peak because not only could he wail with rasp, but hit low registers too. He had a really amazing range.

That said, here's another example of a singer with a little rasp (about a minute in):

and

Edit: Ah, I see he was already mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS4pkmvNU-w

This guy could sing back in the day.I know this will probably get shit on but about 30 seconds in he rips into it.Regardless great song,and powerful vocals.

I was gonna mention Slaughter. Despite whats people might think of the band, why don't rock singers have powerful voices anymore? A lot of them sound like holdovers from the pop/punk era.

Edited by GnR Chris

Not sure how I forgot, but Roger Taylor. He also had some amazing falsetto parts in the early days.

Very true. There's a video of him and Freddie trying to out sing eachother backstage and I think Roger was able to hit a higher note.

Dicky Barrett of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones is very powerful and raspy and hasn't lost a beat at 49.

Fuckin' A. The Bosstones are quickly becoming one of my favorite bands. I've always liked them, but always thought they were kinda in the washed up category with practically every other third wave ska band. Then I saw them live for the first time in 2012. They give it their all live like very few other bands do, and after seeing all 3 gigs of the Throwdown last month, I have nothing but the highest respect for them. And Dicky's voice...I don't know how anyone can switch between smooth and rasp the way he does.

Also, no one has mentioned Lemmy in 4 pages. I am disappoint.

Not sure how I forgot, but Roger Taylor. He also had some amazing falsetto parts in the early days.

Very true. There's a video of him and Freddie trying to out sing eachother backstage and I think Roger was able to hit a higher note.

Yeah, Freddie had the stronger voice, but Roger could hit higher notes. He would complain about having to do Bowie's parts of Under Pressure because they were lower than what he was used to.

• Like 1

Guest cbgnr666

I don't think anyone touches Axl in his peak because not only could he wail with rasp, but hit low registers too. He had a really amazing range.

That said, here's another example of a singer with a little rasp (about a minute in):

and

Edit: Ah, I see he was already mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS4pkmvNU-w

This guy could sing back in the day.I know this will probably get shit on but about 30 seconds in he rips into it.Regardless great song,and powerful vocals.

I was gonna mention Slaughter. Despite whats people might think of the band, why don't rock singers have powerful voices anymore? A lot of them sound like holdovers from the pop/punk era.

Yes both Kiefer and Slaughter were excellent singers.They sounded near identicle to there recorded tracks when they performed live.

• 1 month later...

I was trying to think of other vocalists that had that scratchy / raspy vocals that we all loved in Axl. Couldn't really think of any. The only thing that came to mind was Brian Johnson with a song example being 'Thunderstruck' .

Can anyone else think of someone comparable? A singer and an example of a song they sing ???

mickey newbury

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGGiWukjyR0