Las Vegas investigation into Guns N' Roses police helicopter tour concluded

Guest NGOG

http://www.jrn.com/ktnv/news/Las-Vegas-investigation-into-Guns-N-Roses-police-helicopter-tour-concluded-238317501.html

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The investigation into the activities of a Las Vegas police fly along in August has concluded.

The LVMPD Air Support fly along occurred on Aug. 7.

DJ Ashba, lead guitarist of Guns N' Roses, and his girlfriend received a private tour over Las Vegas and then landed in a field at police headquarters. Ashba said that's where he had a table set up with a bottle of the "bubble stuff" and roses, and popped the question.

Ashba posted a photo on Instagram of the tour and gave a shout out to LVMPD on Twitter.

Two department employees, a captain and a police officer who is a pilot, were found to have violated department policy.

Captain David O'Leary, who had been employed with Metro since February 1989, retired on Dec. 20. He was last assigned as the captain who oversaw the Financial Crimes Bureau.

Officer Ray Horsley has been employed with Metro since February 1994 and is currently assigned to the Air Support Detail.

As a result of the investigation, Captain O'Leary was in the process of being demoted to the rank of lieutenant but retired before the discipline went into effect.

Officer Horsley, effective Jan. 11, will be transferred out of the Air Support Detail and will no longer be allowed to fly for Metro.

A fly along and a patrol ride along are typically done for the purpose of exposing members of the community to the duties of law enforcement. A fly along would begin and terminate at Air Support and would not include any off site landings as occurred in this case. Civilians not employed by Metro who were directly involved with this case all declined to be interviewed as part of the investigation.

Edited by NGOG

really sucks.

another reason society's infatuation with 'tweeting' everything 24/7 can backfire. anyone read about the communications director of a major company who got fired last week for posting an AIDS joke on her twitter feed?

Yeah, although that was hideously inappropriate...

I hope Dj is happy with himself. What a Loser, getting his "friends" in trouble. He couldn't have gotten a helicopter tour from a company that does that shit, why?

Hey, they did it. It's not like he held a gun to their heads. They knew the risk and they got caught.

I don't blame DJ all together. They are grown men and if they knew it wasn't approved or allowed, they should have said no.

Chris 55 you are totally right. Vegas is a city full of people who act like they live to do whatever the hell they want to do. I doubt the police department is any different.

They had to know the consequences to their actions, so you can't put the full blame on DJ.

And since I highly doubt this marriage will last, that's also a slap in their faces. Ha Ha

really sucks.

another reason society's infatuation with 'tweeting' everything 24/7 can backfire. anyone read about the communications director of a major company who got fired last week for posting an AIDS joke on her twitter feed?

They could've gotten away with it, but of course Dj had to tweet about it.

really sucks.

The police captain's wife posted several pictures of it on Instagram. It was no secret.

really sucks.

The police captain's wife posted several pictures of it on Instagram. It was no secret.
And DJ tweeted about it. No one follows the Vegas police chiefs Instagram (besides you I guess) *one could argue no one follows Darren J Ashba's Internet postings either too I guess* Edited by Snowmass

At the end of the day, you would have to be an idiot to think it's ok to use a police helicopter for a marriage proposal. Maybe! if it was a member of the metro police and they had asked permission from their overheads... but to do it for a b-list rock star. DJ and the police are both to blame for this, but it seems to be sorted now, DJ should probably get a slap on the wrist too - a restraining order on "improvising" GnR solo's and to stop flogging his lame ASBASWAG™ brand (I'd be happy with that).

really sucks.

And DJ tweeted about it. No one follows the Vegas police chiefs Instagram (besides you I guess) *one could argue no one follows Darren J Ashba's Internet postings either too I guess*

It would be fair to assume that more probably follow the police captains wife on twitter than Ashba who is a relative nobody.

lol guys there is worst things in life.

I'm from Quebec and much more money and resources are wasted compared to this minor detail.

It's not so much what happened, it's the fact that this douche can't do anything without having to tell everybody. "Looky here at meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee everybody!!!!!"

• Like 1

I'm from Quebec and much more money and resources are wasted compared to this minor detail.

It's not so much what happened, it's the fact that this douche can't do anything without having to tell everybody. "Looky here at meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee everybody!!!!!"

Agree. The fact that he did it...who cares. Was cool of him to arrange & do, but NOONE cares or needs to hear about it. If he would have just hired a private firm to do it we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Edited by Snowmass

Agree. The fact that he did it...who cares. Was cool of him to arrange & do, but NOONE cares or needs to hear about it. If he would have just hired a private firm to do it we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I just think it's shit that because he couldn't keep his mouth shut he's gotten a couple of guys into trouble who were only trying to do him a favour. :shrugs: