"I always joke that I play guitar for a hobby and that really I'm an entrepreneur" says DJ Ashba, seemingly without irony or self awareness

TeeJay410

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/guns-n-roses-guitarist-dj-ashba-signature-les-paul-guitar-coming-in-march/

"I always joke that I play guitar for a hobby and that really I'm an entrepreneur," he told The Sydney Morning Herald. "If you hung out with me at my house you would never know I played in GUNS N' ROSES. I'm not the guy sitting around patting myself on the back. I don't even like the word 'rock star.'"

I know the article about the guitar has been posted but does anyone else get a nice chuckle at this bit, particularly the last two sentences?

I don't care for DJ in any way, shape or form - but I don't see an issue with the comment. The man IS an entrepreneur, and even if one doesn't like his "swag"/attitude/media presence/etc. one can't ignore that he's managed to carve out some pretty tidy businesses for himself. He's playing guitar for the money...that's no different than any other professional musician who gets paid to play other people's stuff.

Its kind of the opposite of the early GNR image. Slash always seemed anti materialistic. Just keather trousers, a guitar, a hat and bottle of jack the music came first. Things changed after uyi and now thw rock world seems devoid of any of that spirit.

• Like 3

DJ is one of those people that managed to make a career out of copying everything that was at one point considered cool or popular.

He's like the Vanila Ice of rock: nothing about him is credible.

He's not even denying the fact that guitar playing is not the main driving force for him. From Slash and Bucket to this. What a (sad) joke.

Not worthy to be in new Guns imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

DJ is one of those people that managed to make a career out of copying everything that was at one point considered cool or popular.

He's like the Vanila Ice of rock: nothing about him is credible.

He's not even denying the fact that guitar playing is not the main driving force for him. From Slash and Bucket to this. What a (sad) joke.

Not worthy to be in new Guns imo.

Yeah and that's kind of my point. As an entrepreneur, what he sells, what he markets, is his rock star image. Yet he says he doesn't like the word rock star, though that is exactly the image he tries to project and sell. It's amusing.

They're all in the KISS business. Team Brazil's no exception, but when you take into account he'd been through a divorce and the money started coming in as a session musician, GNR is a cash cow and he's going to exploit it to its fullest. Axl even let him design a t-shirt which meant he was getting money that no one else in the band except Axl usually got, but if you have a guy who can do artwork in the band, why the hell not? Hell, Slash could have made the album covers up to keep costs down, but Axl would have rather spent 6 figures on someone else's art.

Edited by dalsh327

Vince Neil wants to be on celebrity apprentice. He actually auditioned for them. Wonder if he'll get picked?

I think DJ is a good guitar player and he's very watchable onstage. Doesn't every band want musicians who hold your interest on stage. I mean Axl without a doubt is the most watchable, but DJ does get the fans attention up there.

I like when the band seems to be having fun and actually acknowledges the fans who are watching them perform.

• Like 1

If it were any question if he's in it for the money or not, he pretty much answered it.

There are only 4 reasons to become a rock star:

For the love of playing/making art

For the drugs

For the women

For the money

In truth, it Is always a combination of two or more of these things. And that goes for every single musician in the world. Not just DJ. In fact, if I had my druthers, I would prefer Axl was in it more for the money than he appears to be. If he were, we'd have more songs and dare I say a reunion by now. Being in it for other motivations besides money had led to one album of new material in 22 years.

It is 100% fine to be motivated by money when it comes to your livelihood. I can honestly say I only go to my job because they pay me. Let's all agree to stop bashing people for this.

• Like 1