"I always joke that I play guitar for a hobby and that really I'm an entrepreneur" says DJ Ashba, seemingly without irony or self awareness

TeeJay410

It is 100% fine to be motivated by money when it comes to your livelihood. I can honestly say I only go to my job because they pay me.

Then I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy your records :P

Haha. I'm not in the music business. But I doubt I'm in the minority. Most people would stop going to work if the paychecks stopped.

You have to admire the balls of DJ Ashba. To get up onstage alongside a virtuoso like Ron and a world class all-rounder like Fortus night after night when you have fairly limited skills on the axe is a very brave (some might say foolish) thing to do.

I cringe when he takes one of Franks drumsticks and starts goofing off during the guitar solo in Madagascar, while Ron and Fortus do all the hard work. I'm a little embarrassed for him, but something tells me he's oblivious to how it comes across.

• Like 1

His guitar playing is certainly a reflection of that statement

http://youtu.be/xf7u6YNnrR0?t=3m50s

Good try i suppose. Alway's wondered how well Robin could have performed it live. Buckethead sound's good on his own albums, and for some reason fails to perform some of his solo's live. Which reminds me, one of the reason's GN'R were so big back in the day, unlike many bands, they sound better live than they did on the album AFD

some of the same people knocking DJ would be spunking their pants if a song written by DJ and Axl ever leaked or got released............................. :lol:

And not a single one of those people wouldn't be spunking if Axl released a song with anybody else, while very few (if any) would be spunking if DJ released a song on his own. So you really don't have much of a point here. :shrugs:
  • Like 1

some of the same people knocking DJ would be spunking their pants if a song written by DJ and Axl ever leaked or got released............................. :lol:

And not a single one of those people wouldn't be spunking if Axl released a song with anybody else, while very few (if any) would be spunking if DJ released a song on his own. So you really don't have much of a point here. :shrugs:

That is pretty much the point isn't it? they hate the guy to death on this forum yet would not be hating on DJ if he wrote music with Axl that got released...............

Just curious do you ever have a day when you are not unhappy and looking for people posts to bitch about?............... :lol:

Edited by classicrawker

If it were any question if he's in it for the money or not, he pretty much answered it.

There are only 4 reasons to become a rock star:

For the love of playing/making art

For the drugs

For the women

For the money

In truth, it Is always a combination of two or more of these things. And that goes for every single musician in the world. Not just DJ. In fact, if I had my druthers, I would prefer Axl was in it more for the money than he appears to be. If he were, we'd have more songs and dare I say a reunion by now. Being in it for other motivations besides money had led to one album of new material in 22 years.

It is 100% fine to be motivated by money when it comes to your livelihood. I can honestly say I only go to my job because they pay me. Let's all agree to stop bashing people for this.

I agree with what you said other than it ignores that DJ said that he doesn't even like the term rock star when that is exactly what he is trying to be, or sell the image of.

That'd better be sarcasm or else I wouldn't understand why you would say something like that....

That is pretty much the point isn't it? they hate the guy to death on this forum yet would not be hating on DJ if he wrote music with Axl that got released...............

Just curious do you ever have a day when you are not unhappy and looking for people posts to bitch about?............... :lol:

Considering that the vast majority of our conversations over the past two months have been you bitching about my posts, I figured you would want me to return the favor.

So your point is what then? That people would be happy if Axl released new music? Well good job Batman, you solved another case.

• Like 1

It is 100% fine to be motivated by money when it comes to your livelihood. I can honestly say I only go to my job because they pay me.

Then I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy your records :P

Haha. I'm not in the music business. But I doubt I'm in the minority. Most people would stop going to work if the paychecks stopped.

But that isn't the point. There is a difference between buying a product made by someone who doesn't care about it and buying a quality product that has love, excitement and energy poured into it. Might not make a difference if I'm buying a comb, but even a pair of socks is better when the company puts some effort into the materials and design and has motivated workers. You get a better product when people care about something, and music is art. Anything fake about it always comes screaming through.

Considering that the vast majority of our conversations over the past two months have been you bitching about my posts, I figured you would want me to return the favor.

So your point is what then? That people would be happy if Axl released new music? Well good job Batman, you solved another case.

Bitching about your posts? how many times exactly did I even respond to your posts? without looking it up I am guessing it is less than a handful?....and trust me I pass by many of your negative posts I could comment on but figured you are just being grumpy and it was not worth the time getting into a pointless pissing match with you................

Come on mate I know you are sharper than this..........that is the point ...........If Axl was involved some of the same haters that are busting on DJ would suddenly be in love with him if they ever released music written together..........can't explain it any simpler that that for you...... :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

Bitching about your posts? how many times exactly did I even respond to your posts? without looking it up I am guessing it is less than a handful?....and trust me I pass by many of your posts I could comment on but figured your just being grumpy and it was not worth the time................

Come on mate I know you are sharper than this..........that is the point ...........If Axl was involved some of the same haters that are busting on DJ would suddenly be in love with him if they ever released music together..........can explain it any simpler that that for you...... :shrugs:

Nobody is going to fall in love with DJ unless his parts on the album are the most amazing and he earns it. If it's the same as live shows and he gives a shit performance, you're delusional if you think that anybody is going to change their opinion. Nobody outside of reunionists started off disliking DJ. He's been given his fair opportunity.

And feel free to respond to me whenever you want, I'm always happy to explain things for you.

If DJ didn't wear a hat and smoke cigarettes, he'd get far less hate.

A wardrobe change wouldn't help his playing. It didn't work for Fink.

No, but I think the hate has more to with his look than his playing (not that I'm a huge fan of either). Actually I do think that the wardrobe change altered perceptions (for the better) regarding Robin. I don't know that his playing necessarily improved from 02-06, but his role in the band and in live performances certainly appeared more prominent. Likewise, I think if Axl was in better physical condition (regardless of voice), that perceptions of his performance would improve as well.

If he didn't have such a striking image, it's possible no one would pay any attention to him at all.

agree, at least not anymore than they do Ron or Richard.

To be honest, I do prefer Ron and Richard's playing though.

Edited by Mr. Dude

A wardrobe change wouldn't help his playing. It didn't work for Fink.

No, but I think the hate has more to with his look than his playing (not that I'm a huge fan of either). Actually I do think that the wardrobe change altered perceptions (for the better) regarding Robin. I don't know that his playing necessarily improved from 02-06, but his role in the band and in live performances certainly appeared more prominent. Likewise, I think if Axl was in better physical condition (regardless of voice), that perceptions of his performance would improve as well.

If he didn't have such a striking image, it's possible no one would pay any attention to him at all.

agree, at least not anymore than they do Ron or Richard.

To be honest, I do prefer Ron and Richard's playing though.

Guess I can only speak for myself, but Fink's wardrobe change did nothing for me. I didn't like him before and I felt the same after. I never noticed any change in the attitude toward him on the forums either. The same people either loved or hated him as before. When I first saw DJ, I actually thought he would be an improvement. I was excited for him to be in the band. Image had nothing to do with it because I thought he looked like an emo assclown, but I thought that he wouldn't be able to be as bad as Fink. Then he proved me wrong.

I've read lots of times how he's supposed to butcher that solo, but I couldn't hear anything wrong with it? I don't like the song at all so I haven't heard the Robin solo for quite a while, but this solo sounded pretty good to me!

I don't think he butchers it. I think he just plays it with a feel more his own. Robin's solo on TIL is a personal favorite of mine, along with Bucket's TWAT solo.

I've read lots of times how he's supposed to butcher that solo, but I couldn't hear anything wrong with it? I don't like the song at all so I haven't heard the Robin solo for quite a while, but this solo sounded pretty good to me!

I don't think he butchers it. I think he just plays it with a feel more his own. Robin's solo on TIL is a personal favorite of mine, along with Bucket's TWAT solo.

That one wasn't particularly bad, but there are quite a few parts he changes for little reason other than laziness or incompetence. However there are plenty of other videos of him absolutely butchering it.